I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wraps
Posted by: Richard Boultinghouse (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 01:41PM

I have been building rods since the early 70's. Had a few long breaks in the building thanks to Uncle Sam's travel and tourism specials, (go to strange and exotic lands, meet new people and critters who often try to sting, bite, eat, or kill you).

I have seen and built a good many rods during this time to include a few Spiral Wraps. The question that I've always had with the spirals is, why??? Maybe I haven't seen the right one but I see no advantage at all other than having something new and different to show off.

I built one with one of three identical blanks. I used the other two to build a casting and a spinning rod. A very, very slight difference in weight, the spinning rod was just a tad lighter. I could tell no difference in the actions between the spiral and the regular casting rod. I guess I'm too much of the Old School of "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. So, I'm back to my question, why???

Maybe someone can enlighten this Old Soldier.

Dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wraps
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 01:56PM

If you do a search on this site for spiral wrap, simple spiral etc. you will be here until next week reading all the reasons. Bottom line it will make the conventional reel on top rod stable and prevent it from twisting as does the Spinning or Fly rod set up.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2006 02:20PM

Has nothing to do with the action, and everything to do with rod twist . All rods with guides located on top are inherently unstable - they will try to twist under load (and no, spine orientation cannot stop this nor does it have much at all to do with it). All rods with guides located on the bottom of the rod will be inherently stable and won't attempt to twist under normal fishing conditions.

At least some of the effort you expend when fighting fish on a regular casting rod goes into keeping the rod from twisting. The amount of effort becomes greater and greater as you move up into the heavyweight fishing range. So it can range from very minor, all the way up to an amount that is quite significant.

I have already done an article in RodMaker on making and demonstration a spiral wrap demo device that shows the effect both on regular and spiral wrap rods. If you have the older issue you can read about it for yourself.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:31PM

It is true. On a pier or boat rod with a good fish on, you can take a rod with a spiral wrap and just lay the foregrip on your open palm and crank away. The rod will sit there pretty as you please. On a conventional wrap the hand must strongly close on the foregrip and even then you see the reel waggling back and forth as the fisherman cranks and struggles to keep everything in sync.

Posted by: Chris Means (---.hu.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:49PM

Just cause it aint broke doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:56PM

I know I shouldnt do this but then I never was that smart. From a Old Sailor to and Old Soldier everything said in the above post is ENTIRELY TRUE. However there is no need to switch everything over and stop doing things conventionally. The old ways still work and always will but the new (actually older than most think) spiral wrap does open new possibilities for some situations. Some situations it is a real boom, ie kayaking(got plenty to keep you busy besides rod twist). Bottom line is both methods have value and merit.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:41PM

I think the Erheart Spiral wrap dates back to the 1860's, if memory serves, and in this case I would not bet on both bits of information being correct. The Spiral wrap is best used for heavy lifting rods, where it really shines. I just posted a picture of my latest Spiral attempt.

Click on the listing below
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Richard Boultinghouse (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 06:52PM

No one ever "splanied" it to me before. Makes sense.

Thanks.

Dick

Posted by: Paul Kneller (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 25, 2006 09:04AM

For me Richard the best thing that comes out of spiral binds is no tip wrapping. I fish a lot of heavy plastics over open water that involve flipping them back towards you on slack line, for most of this I use 30lb braid, the wind only seems to blow in one direction! ( the direction I cast) with this limp braid and fishing method conventional binds give me heaps of tip wrapping, don't get much at all with spirals. Try setting the hook on a 20lb Mullaway (very much like a Redfish) with your braid wrapped around the tip. You would never build a conventional again. Cheers Paul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster