I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

underwrap + guides choice = need help :)
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: October 24, 2006 11:38AM

Hello rodmakers :)

I have a blank in front of me: Talon 8'6" MXF2. Hot-shot blank, with sensitive tip (4.5) and very powerfull thick wall butt section (20lb and IMHO it is at least). I would like it to be med-hvy spinning rod.

1/ To utilize stiff and powerfull butt section I decided to use #30 SV type of guide on the butt section. Just one, because of relatively long reargrip (~14") I think I will need to balance the rod. The question is should underwrap be made for this guide? Additionally, what thread would you reccomend - will "A" Gudebrod be OK?

2/ For the rest of the rod I would like to use a mix od "LV" and "L" concept #7 guides + tip top type "F" #7 . I would like the tip to remain extra-fast as it is now, and since the 'gut' of the blank is in its butt section it seems to me that the tip will not have to make a great deal of fighting the fish so I don't need to use heavy-duty guides. Does it make sense to you?

Best regards,
Pavel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: underwrap + guides choice = need help :)
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 01:50PM

Go to the library on this site and read the articles on guide set up for the new guide concept system and guide placement. They should answer most of your questions. Underwraps don't need to be used just be sure to properly prepare your guide feet. "A" thread will be just fine. The size for the stripper as a rule of thumb should be about 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool. Try a size larger and smaller when test casting to see if another size works better.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.aster.pl)
Date: October 24, 2006 01:57PM

Jim,

I went through the "New Concept Primer" in the Rodmaker Magazine which I am proud :) subscriber of, already, and my questions are one of the results of this lecture. Thank you for the advice regarding underwraps and thread. The reel is 4000 series with spool 2.05" outer diamter - I reckon #30 stripper ring should be just fine.

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:50PM

Pawel I think you have done a fine job of interpreting the "lecture". Your guide size choice is "right on" and the use of the "I reckon" totally confuses me as to your native language! As we say down here in South Louisiana "Where U At?".

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 04:51PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (212.160.172.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 02:26AM

Bill :)

as you rightly guessed English is not my native language. Although I can only guess the meaning of " Where U At?" I think my answer should be: "No, but I'd love to"

Best regards,
Pavel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster