I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra Light help?
Posted by: Luis Morales (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 10:07AM

Looking to build a river/trout spinning rod as a gift for my father in law to be. His gear is ancient, bulky and taped up,but he won't let go of it for sentimental reasons. So I thought if I made him something he would use it, and hopefully enjoy it more. I've only built a surf rod (SW1087) with lots of help from you guys and figured you all could help me again.

I need a rod and a handle style/size rec' (leaning towards 6 ft. and a cork Tennessee type with a small real seat but still open). Not sure about guide sizes either but I'm sure I can handle the lay out.

The reel will be paired to the rod, inline spinners like panther martins, mepps are his favorite. I'm gonna try and introduce 2#-4# line 'cause he's got 12# tied on most of his gear.

Thank You

Luis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Light help?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 11:11AM

Luis,

You're local to us (So. Cal) aren't you? I'd be happy to show you some set-up options, including the "New Concept" guide layout. Without knowing what reel you're putting on the rod, I can't really recommend a guide set-up without suggesting "extra" guides and letting you figure out the layout once the reel's mounted.

We've got blanks in your size and line weight ranging from two piece e-glass to one piece high modulas graphite GUSA's and probably four or five choices in between (prices ranging from $9 - $30). We use primarily Fuji Alconite guides on UL set ups, but can do it in Hardloy as well. SIC's in this application is overkill IMO.

If you're able to come by with your reel, we can help you select your guides and walk you through the layout.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: July 02, 2006 02:45PM

Luis

Ultra-light spinning rods are the main rods I build. The Batson Rainshadow blanks are my favorite. St. Croix are also very nice(a bit faster action than the Batson). Assuming you are using a small reel, I woud use Fuji Alconite guides a #20 BYAG, #10 or #12 BYAG(I usually decide on the 10) and then #6 fly guides (I think they are BLAG) for the running guides. Choose a reel seat that fits your Dad's hand, I use a Fuji 20mm seat even on ultra-lights because I like th way it feels, I just shorten it a bit.. An all cork Tennesse handle is also and option, if I go this route I tape the reel on or us a Fuji plate seat. I can't see the logic in changing reel seat sizes on smaller rods, hand size doen't change.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: July 02, 2006 04:19PM

Luis

I just went to my garage and inventoried my ultra lights and my favorite 6 footer is a St. Croix 3S60ULF. This would be specially good with spinners and even small plugs. I've never used the Rainshadow 6' blanks but I have used quite a few of their 5' blanks and they are without a doubt my favorite. You would use either IS720 or IS721F (2 piece). If you e-mailed Bill Batson he would give you some insite as to the difference in the two blanks. I know you can't go wrong with th St. Croix.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 03, 2006 06:10AM

I 2nd the St Croix 3s60ULF. I am building one for someone at work and I just got the blank and all I can say is Sweeet. Light, sensitive and fast gonna love building this one.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2006 10:17AM

If you want a true UL, then the 3S60ULF will definitely fit your needs. However, I really don't care for St. Croix's UL blanks, as they have so little backbone. For my taste, St. Croix's L models (i.e. 3S60LF and my favorite, 3S66LF) make much better all-around trout rods. They handle spinners, small cranks, and small marabou jigs perfectly. While the ULs will catch quite a few fish, I never was able to hook those fish that hit way out at the end of my cast. The 3S66LF is still delicate enough to handle a good fish on a short string, but it has enough power to set a hook at the end of my cast.

Posted by: Robert Robertson (71.31.147.---)
Date: July 03, 2006 01:38PM

Luis,

I agree that the 3S60ULF is a great UL rod. I wish there were a 5'6" version -- maybe Rainshadow makes a 5'6"? I'm currently finishing up a St. Croix 2S46ULM ( SCII, 4'6", moderate action UL blank) for my (6 year-old) son. It's way too soft for my preferences... BUT -- I'm using single foot wire guides like I use on fly rods for the upper three guides on this spinning rod. It has really saved weight, and I'll be doing the same thing on my future UL rods, unless someone demands the heavier guides with inserts.

Some people might balk at using wire instead of guides with ring inserts, but many people I've corresponded with use similar rods indicate they hold up well (especially the hard chrome finish) and like the performance and weight savings. It's something to think about, anyway, especially if you want to preserve the action of a UL blank.

I'd also suggest the Tenesse style cork grip with graphite or aluminum slip rings. You'll need to cut the handle in half and clamp it back together if you buy one pre-made -- it's easier than it sounds.

-Rob

Posted by: robert schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 12:53PM

Rob. There is a 5ft 6" version the 3S56 ULF. Im planning on building a casting version on this blank... Bob.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 04, 2006 08:35PM

My favorite is the Batson IP 840. I know this is a 7 ft rod but if you have plenty of room it is hard to beat for the money. I would like to try the St. Croix but cannot justify the price. With a Tennesse grip I have used this rod for both spinning and fly for trout. I think similar rods are avaliable in shorter lengths. I personally use the IP 840 with 4 lb spinning or 2 lb tip.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Roger Petrella (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 06, 2006 02:42PM

I fish almost exclusively with an UL spinning set up. My preference is either a 5' or 5'6" rod with a fast action. I normally use 4lb test and small spinners, although I have had no problems casting 1/4 oz spinners occassionaly. It is also great to use a small casting bubble and a fly on the UL setup. I also prefer two piece rods for traveling.

Unlike most members here, I have only built about half a dozen rods so far, three were ultralite. I am about to build another. Although most prefer to deal with the sponsors here, I have found a real nice two piece, 5'6", IM7 blank from Cabelas for 29.95. Don't know who makes these for them. I also prefer Fuji guides and plan on using their Concept series guides on this rod. I only use cork for handles and the last two rods I made I used a cut fly rod reel seat and inserted a cork center section on one and a walnut center on the other.

To me, going anything longer than 5'6" is defeating the purpose of having the smallest, lightest rod I can get. 12-15" trout in a stream are one thing, but last year I took a 16" Coho salmon on the UL and it took me near 15 min. to land it. This is really where you get a thrill using the UL tackle.

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster