I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathes
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 11:33AM

Ok, My old cam lathe that I set up for turning my handles has finnaly said it's time to retire. I need some guidance on what and where to purchase a real rod lathe. I find turning my own grips is the way to go. Any help would be great.
Tom, what a great magazine and web site. To all who post their experiences on the site and in the magazine thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathes
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 01:55PM

Dave,
If I were going to buy a dedicated rod lathe/wrapper, I would go with either the Renzetti or the Anglers Workshop custom power wrapper (I believe thats its name). Both look to be serious machines that can do a lot.

If you are just looking for a lathe to mill cork, eva, or reel seat inserts, Woodcraft has a special on a Jet mini lathe that includes a very nice 4 jaw nova chuck for $269.99. Great deal as the chuck alone is $120.00 and the $269.99 is $10.00 less than the lathe sells for by itself. Couple it with some of Lamar's mandrels, and I think you would have a great set up.

Posted by: Roger Petrella (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 06, 2006 04:41PM

If you are looking for an excellent all around small lathe, look at the Taig. You can outfit it with about anything and it is very accurate. And the price is very inexpensive for the quality you get. I bought one years ago for turning pens and since have fitted it with a variable speed motor. Even though I have a larger 6" Atlas lathe for most metalworking projects I do, I find myself using the Taig way more often. The only thing you are limited by the Taig is size and that it can't cut threads without an add on system not made by Taig. Go to www.taigtools.com for the mfg site or www.cartertools.com for one of the best distributors around. Lots of good info and links on both sites.

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 06, 2006 04:51PM

I would go with a Penn State Turncrafter Pro, Jet or Ricoh. Gives you the versatility and ability to turn full handles, seats, wood, acrylics, antler and just about anything else.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster