I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner seeks more help re finish- 2 coats of high build?
Posted by: Kermit Ellis (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 02, 2006 09:08AM

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm building my first rod. After seeking advice about epoxy vs. polyurethane I decided to go with Flex Coat High Build for this job.

I was generally pleased with the way the way the finish turned out except that the coating appears much too thin where the thread wraps cross the guide feet, so that the epoxy seems at those places to have just saturated the threads without building up to a coating over them. Other portions of the guide wraps, and the ferrule wraps, etc., are fine.

I'm tempted to add another coat of finish, but will there be too much buildup, especially in the good parts, if I do this? What would happen if I just added some epoxy to the thin spots? Would it level out while drying? Would it be obvious if I recoated some parts but not others?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner seeks more help re finish- 2 coats of high build?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2006 09:10AM

You can't add it piece-meal and expect it to look nice. Another coat would be your best bet, just don't go overboard. A thin application should most likely cover any dry areas.

One nice thing about turning/drying a rod by hand, is that you can allow the rod to sit "guides down" for a little more time which tends to help keep those guide foot areas coated with epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2006 09:19AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: July 02, 2006 09:17AM

I'm surprised and pleased by the fast and helpful response.

I can see how you must be right about hand turning, because I stuck this rod in a 4 rpm dryer and was afraid to touch it again for hours.

Thanks very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2006 09:21AM by Kermit Ellis.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2006 09:20AM

I need to be more careful when I respond. You cannot add it piece-meal and expect it to look nice. Sorry about that.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.atgi.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 09:42AM

Kermit,

If it has been more than a day or two since you put your first coat on, you really should take the shine off of the finish before putting the second coat on. A light scuffing with some scotchbrite should do it. There is a ton of info on this, if you do a search.

Chris

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 08:28PM

Hi Kermit,
Welcome to the finest site dealing with rodbuilding. JMHO...
I read your first question in an earlier post. While you didn't mention what kind of rod you are building,there may be another consideration at hand. I am going on the basis of it being a light rod,of fly,spinning,or casting classification. That consideration is how much finish was applied? If you used a considerable amount on your wraps, you may wish to consider scraping off some of the hardened finish. That would be of course if you got some high spots. The purpose for that being that you can get a better overall look to your wraps. Not being able to see your wraps,this is only just a possibility. You did mention less coverage of the guide feet so it may not be necessary,as you may have done a first rate job of using the Flex Coat in a sparing fashion, or just removing any excess finish. Also,being your first attempt at building your own,you may not even care. Down the road however,you may.
Keep coming back and enjoy your new addiction,
Chuck

Date: July 02, 2006 10:05PM

Chuck,

Thanks for your message. Yes, this is a great site; apparently there is a wealth of information available from helpful people.

The rod I am working on is the well known Hook & Hackle 6'6" 2 wt. fly rod kit. The wraps turned out reasonably well by my meager standards, except for the threads not being well covered on a couple of the larger guides. I suppose I applied about a medium amount of epoxy since the rest of it looks OK, though I would be a little reluctant to post photos. I'm concerned about getting too much buildup, though, so I may try thoroughly recoating only the problem guides, leaving the rest of the wraps alone, and seeing what it looks like then.

Even though building this rod has been sort of a long process (I would hate to tell how many wrapping disasters I suffered through) I have enjoyed it and have another blank waiting.

Thanks,

Kermit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster