I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Vendors, Manufacturers, Importers & Mr. Dear
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 04:22PM

I will gladly pay from $ 17.50 to $ 21.35 plus shipping for a little bottle containing 100 two inch long x 4.5 64ths diameter high temperature hot melt sticks for tip top installation. I am down until Tuesday with a razor blade cut finger! Guess I will have to fish a couple of days!

If you are interested in anything you do not have that would make your rodbuilding life easier please list it on this thread. Only serious entries please, i.e, helium and methane have already been dealt with!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2006 04:30PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vendors, Manufacturers, Importers & Mr. Dear
Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 06:03PM

Brother will come out with a label maker that lets you download color art from your computer and print it on non-fading metallic stickers. Price will be $40.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 06:24PM

Bill,
If I understand your request, here is a suggestion that you might want to try. If you will run the high temperature hot melt glue through a hot melt glue gun and vary the rate that it comes out so the diameter varies you can end up with a bunch of small sticks that vary in diameter so they will fit any tip. It takes a little practice to get them to come out at a constant diameter and I have found that if you let them fall slowly on a cool, flat, smooth surface it works best. I have about 100 of these of different diameters that I have made in a drawer in my shop that will fit any tip that I am applying.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 06:53PM

Emory I tried that and happened to have one of my seizures while squeezing the trigger. I ended up with a pile of stuff that looked like a spider web and pile of obscene looking random shaped thingys. I like order in my world which sometimes I can not create. Would you consider filling the order listed above for the price desired. I will allow a tolerance of plus or minus 8.43 percent diameter variance.

Date: June 03, 2006 07:07PM

Yes, if you will send me the hot melt glue that you prefer I will run it through the glue gun that I have and send it back to you. It will not be necessary for there to be any monetary exchange but you will owe me and I will figure out a way to get even.
Or if you prefer I will use the hot melt glue that I prefer and you will just be stuck with the results. In that case I think I pay something like $2.00 each for the glue sticks and it is such a large sum you will have to reimburse me.
They will not all come out 4" by 5/64" though. They will be plus or minus about 50%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2006 07:10PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: June 03, 2006 07:15PM

Emory-
Sure hope you don't live in the desert where it can get a little warm!!! Your drawer may never open again!!! LOL

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 07:26PM

"If you are interested in anything you do not have that would make your rodbuilding easier, ....please list it here on this thread...serious entries only'

1) the name of the vendor in Texas that set you up with that dag gum wicked slikin' fine Cajun Jerky! That would help me. lol. Maybe some of that dried shrimp that Lance spoke of that smells like poopy, but tastes like the cats meow?

2) Holland Astro thread in black/gold, black/silver.

Date: June 03, 2006 08:40PM

Bill,
Let me ask you a question with no disrepect intended toward your rod making skills. I have some lack of respect for some of your humor but none for your rod making skills. On rods that require tips that large why aren't you using 5 minute epoxy? I like the hot melt glue on smaller tips but on the large ones I prefer 5 minute epoxy.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 09:02PM

Simply put and serious as can be.......More guide choices.

and a free Wonder Weaver....now that was a joke! LOL

Date: June 03, 2006 09:27PM

Steve,
I am afraid that I do not understand your statement "more guild choices" would you care to elaborate on that a little?

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.40.40.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 09:30PM

Hello all, lots of fun with this one. If I could have anything to aid in rod building, I would really like an epoxy that behaved like varnish. Varnish is still the most user friendly finish to apply. Unfortunately, it does not have the properties that we prefer. I know Tom will say Perma Gloss is that finish. I also like Perma Gloss and get excellent finishes on my guide wraps, but butt decorations and inscription areas are still a nightmare for me using Perma Gloss. I recently tried Diamondite and liked that quite a bit. However, an epoxy that could be applied like varnish, but give the depth, hardness, and flexibility of high build epoxy would be spectacular. Any way thta is my wish, but given the nature of epoxy resins, I won't hold my breath.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 09:43PM

Emory, Steve wrote "more GUIDE choices" not GUILD choices.

Date: June 03, 2006 09:59PM

Lance,
Sorry, Bob Balcomb is not paying attention and correcting my spelling. But I do not understand more Guild choices or Steve's statement about more guide choices.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: June 03, 2006 10:23PM

Michael, many resins can be heated a bit to give a thinner consistency, similiar to varnish, you'll lose some pot life however. You'll not have this advantage with Diamondite, asDiamondite won't tolerate the heating though, as it will set up REALLY fast. I used to heat FlexCoat, and I routinely heat ThreadMaster to a very thin consistency, for certain applications.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Date: June 03, 2006 10:37PM

Bill,
Did I tell you I put 5 stitches in my finger two weeks ago? A errant razor blade for cutting thread found it's way into a box of 5000 cork rings....I reached into grab a handful of rings, and WHAMMO! 5 stitches in my middle finger on my right hand. I still continued to pack up orders for abut an hour until my shop looked more like a murder scene than a rodbuilding shop.

Thank god it wasn't my guitar fretting hand. At least I can still crank up my Fender Guitar and blow the neighbors windows out.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: June 03, 2006 10:40PM

Fred,
If that drawer gets over 200 degrees F I am going to have bigger problems than the hot melt glue melting.

Bill,
I think that you are right that the Helium issue has been dealt with but I do not think that we have dealt with Ellis's methane problem yet. Maybe a couple of Tums would help.

Date: June 03, 2006 10:45PM

Amen brother Josh, that would be the cat's meow...

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2006 11:31PM

Well, at least I can spell and also make those thin glue sticks, but then, I am not an engineer.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2006 01:05AM

Emory, there's more guide choices out there than you can shake a rod at. I'm in the process of ridding my inventory of everything but about three or four styles. I have almost every style and shape out there in just about every plating avaiable.

If Bill wouldn't come around every once in a while to make me look through all of my storage bins I wouldn't know what I have hidden.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: June 04, 2006 02:58AM

Interesting thread......I built a small cylinder and piston arrangement that takes the 4" x 1/2" thermoplastic cement. I install the stick in the cylinder, get the piston in place, and hit the outside of the cylinder with the bernzomatic torch, while turning the wheel on the vise, which acts as the ram, on the other end of the piston. The outside heat is applied just hot enough to extrude without melt-down.
Eventually, the cement extrudes out the die, in 1/16" diameter. 1- half inch stick of cement yields approx 25 feet at 1/16".
A much simpler method is to extrude the glue on a piece of marble, by holding the trigger down, and moving along the marble at a rapid pace.
Once the little trails are made, one can very easily slooooowly stretch them to whatever diameter you want. Marble is a neat mineral...always cooler than room temp, and non-stick to boot.
I watched a show on the discovery channel, where they were stretching semi-molten glass for fiber optics. So it does work. You need to stretch slowly, or the cement will break.
I've gone from 1/8" down to 1/ 64" no problem. However, with my little extruder, it's a cakewalk to break off a 1/16 inch piece, of the appropriate length, and either stretch it thinner, or double it up for bigger tips, or stretch it some,then double up the results.
Worked for me.... you mileage may vary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2006 03:02AM by Ken Driedger.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster