I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee handle - with alumalite handle
Posted by: Roger Wilson (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 06:05AM

Any suggestions for butt cap and front finish of a tennessee style handle using the aluminum alumalite handle by lamiglas?

If you are not familar with this handle, it is a lightweight aluminum tube - that is the correct size for a tennessee style handle.

I simply intend to use a few arbors running down the inside of the tube to mount it.
However, to mount the butt cap - as well as a finish for the front of the rod tube would be appreciated.

I have considered options like a matching aluminum butt cap (desired by the customer). Then, use either cork or foam to form a finish for each end of the tube as well as a transition to the next component - whether it is an aluminum, cork, or rubber butt cap. then, the finish on the front of the rod tube. The finish face of the front side of the rod tube would either be a cork ring or EVA foam (matching color) - machined to the correct size .

I appreciate any further thoughts or suggestions.
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee handle - with alumalite handle
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 08:15AM

Andy Dear's exotic burl ??? Lamar fishing on the left.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 09:45AM

The only thing I've seen come out of Lamiglas is the silver Texalium tube which looks like it might be fiberglass as it's white inside.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 11:01AM

Shape some material, wood, balsa wood-light, cork. Then seal it, paint it, then clear it. This way you can match the blank, threads, guides ???

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.nas83.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 04:37PM

I did a couple of Sensor tube handles and just extended the FC arbor beyond the tube lip and contoured it. A few coats of epoxy with some Testors pigment in one of them finished it off quite nicely.

The arbors are pretty tough, there's not much extended anyhow, and they are LIGHT. A 1/4" of extension out of the tube gives one enough material to contour a very comfortable transition to the blank, especially if the angler likes to have the reel at the rod/handle transition point with a few digits on the blank itself. Looks nice, too...like a one piece handle of the same color.

I Split-T'd the tube with the arbor transition front and back, butt cap is EVA foam.

I don't know the color of the tube you are using, but if you went with the extended/exposed arbor idea you may find some pretty nifty metallic pigments to dress it up with. Could do an awesome metallic marble job on it if you (and the customer) are so inclined.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:54PM

I used cork on this one - these were modified from the cork that came with the graphite grip from Jann's netcraft - you can also order arbors from either eva or cork from Mudhole - or from Custom Tackle Supply you can get brickfoam ones... check this out to see how I did it...
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 03:19PM

Batson also makes a set of cork arbors that look much those on Chuck's rod, but the butt piece has a EVA cap bonded on the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster