I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fixing where thread fuzz comes through finish?
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:28AM

I found thread fuzz in 2 of my wraps that came through the finish... can I trim it off with a razor or sand it off and just add a light second coat of finish to it? I wondered if it would blend like it was never there or if the spot would haze?

I bought some "reading" glasses for future inspection of wraps but this rod was finished before that acquisition.

Thanks for any tips!

-keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fixing where thread fuzz comes through finish?
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:11AM

The method I use and it was suggested by BDTrout, after you give the finish ample time to cure...get some small fine files. I use jeweler's files and grind down any imperfections in the finish. Remove all filing dust.

Add a second coat and they disappear! Problem solved.

I must admit, I use this technique more than I should have to.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:20PM

just slice it off with a very sharp razor blade and put on another light coat.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:40PM

I use a double edge razor blade to slice it off. With a good hand and a good razor blade, you can barely see where it was. Your next coat of finish covers it easily.

The few times I've gotten big nasty problems I let the epoxy fully cure and took some 120 grit to it. Then wet sanded up to 1000 or 1200 or some such grit.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.wco.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:48PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Since I didn't use CP the fuzz is almost invisible but the exterior surface of the finish is rough at that spot. I just wanted to be sure that if I cut, sanded or filed on the epoxy, that the second coat of finish would hide that activity and leave a smooth coat.

Thanks again,

Keith

Posted by: Bil' Grose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 01:52PM

Be carful if you sand finish. If you go through to the thread you'll cause more problems than you solve. lots of "fuzzies"

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 05:38PM

reading glasses are good BUT DONT wear them for too long they give you a skull ache also watch it when you take them off to pee lol it sorta goes all over the place till you get the focus range right
or is it just me anyone else have this "problem"
now i just pee over the neighbors yard works better and i can blame the dog!!!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 05:50PM

I always have a few fingernail Emory boards of various grits on hand for various little "touch up jobs.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:11AM

Victory over the fuzz! I used a flat sided needle file. Cut out the slight bump of epoxy and the fuzz itself and applied a very light second coat of Threadmaster and I can't even see where I worked on it last night!!

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster