I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to build epoxy ramp
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:19AM

Are there directions for building an epoxu ramp? I used the search and didn't find anything. Maybe I looked int he wrong place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to build epoxy ramp
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:42AM

Bruce,
There is nothing to it if you are using a winding check. Wet the winding check as far up the check as you ultimately want the epoxy to go with your brush or other applicator by rotating the rod and holding the bush so that it just touches where you want the epoxy to be. Then just start adding more epoxy. The epoxy will form a nice ramp and it will not go beyond where you have wet the winding check unless you try to pile on too much too quickly.
The winding check should fit tight against the forecork or reel seat if you are not using a fore cork. If it is not tight the epoxy will sometimes crawl up underneath the winding check and get on the cork. If this happens then just wait until the epoxy starts to thicken and then use a cloth with alcohol on it and hold it where you want the epoxy to end while rotating the rod.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:31PM

In spite of Emory trying to make it sound simple -- learning to build up with a liquid epoxy is a very challenging tqsk. Why bother? All you have to do is use Rod Bond, it will stay exactly where you put it and you can color it any color you want. It was made for the task, so use it.
Ralph

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 01:18PM

Ralph,
OK, I am going to try Rod Bond. If it is not really really easy I am going to come back and give you some lip.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 01:49PM

I did some really long ramps with rod bond, about 4-5" long from the blank to even with the cork grips. I masked off both ends with tape, shmeared on the rod bond with a credit card to get it close, then removed the tape. About 2-3 hours later as the rod bond is setting up I dipped a finger in denatured and was able to work the stuff like clay to the point that when it set up, it really needed limited to no sanding at all.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 14, 2006 02:11PM

Also can build a stair-case like terrace of thread. Then epoxy over.
E-size thread builds the fastest. 3 threads / mm. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: February 14, 2006 02:25PM

What I meant was an alternative solution to using a nickel/silver winding check or a winding check period.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 04:15PM

You could also use "o"rings or grommets from the hardware store. Toe rings, earings, or any ring you might come across at a cheap jewelry store. Use no check at all, theres no rule that says winding checks are even required.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 04:57PM

I build up the areas I want to "ramp up" with black thread then finish as usual along with the rest of the rod. You can use just about any thread for this, but I always use black. Areas I do this to are directly in front of the reel seat

Lou

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 05:49PM

Bruce,

Here's what I usually do - Put my rod in the dryer (or turn by hand) and put a gob of 5 min epoxy where the blank joins the seat. Raise the tip a little to get the ramp angle that you want. The turning of the rod will give you a nice smooth ramp right to the edge of the seat. Just wrap right up the ramp and when you get to the top, just put a small dab of Super glue to hold the tag in pace and tape the end out of the way. Put finish on and when it's dry, trim off the loose end flush. Makes a nice looking transition.

You can also just add some pigment into the epoxy to get the color you want and skip the thread and jusst put a hook keeper wrap where it meets the blank, to hide the transaction. I saw Ralph Oquinn do it with Rod Bond in Charlotteusing his finger to shape it. Worked perfect for him but,. as much as I love Rod Bond, I can never get it smooth or concentric unless I use 5 min epoxy

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 06:26PM

I just used Mikes method and it worked very well. I'd post some pic's but for some reason the pic board will not work for me. Mike I sent you those pic's post them for me if you like.

I did two epoxy ramps, one on each end of the reel seat and wrapped over the ramps with the same color thread as I used on the guides. Turned out right purdy.

DR

Date: February 15, 2006 10:56PM

Duane,

I just posted your pic. Great job. How did you manage to wrap up such a short, steep ramp??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 16, 2006 08:35AM

Hi Mike! Where did yuou post Duane's epoxy ramp photo? I can't locate it.

Date: February 16, 2006 02:58PM

It's on the Photo page as soon as you open it!!!!! Since I uploaded it for him, it's under my name! You can also look in the member's gallery under M

Mike

Date: February 16, 2006 07:02PM

Mike,

It was all about the thread tension in doing those steep ramps. Too much tension and the thread wouild spring off the ramps, too little and it wouldn't pack and look right.....took me about 5-8 times on each side to get them both to stay. I tacked the ends down with a tiny tip of super glue and epoxyed over the thread on the ramps right away.

Also that is the new Threadmaster finish of Andy Dears! Very 1st rod I've used it on and I REALLLLY like it! I hope he makes a "light" version. I'm use to thinner epoxy, but as well as Andys works, I'm gonna have to change my ways until he creates a thinner one :)

DR

Date: February 16, 2006 07:08PM

Thanks for posting them for me Mike!!!

I would reply to it but I "don't have permission" :(

DR

Date: February 16, 2006 08:02PM

Duane, you have to be logged in leave a comment. Maybe that's why you had trouble posting a pic. I loggen in last year and have never logged out!

Mike

Date: February 17, 2006 05:42PM

I'll try that Mike.....

Date: February 17, 2006 05:43PM

Nope.....won't even log me in :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster