I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Final List
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:09AM

Following is the final list of vendors and seminars for the National Rod Builders Show next weekend (25 & 26) in Charlotte, NC. Only the tables section has not been finalized.

VENDORS

Anglers Resources (Fuji)

American Tackle

Batson Enterprises (Rainshadow/Forecast)

Cheasepeake Cork Products

CTS (Composite Tube Systems Rod Blanks)

Classic Custom Wood

Custom Tackle Supply

Decal Connection

Donart

EasyWeave Looms

Fish Sticks 4U

G. Loomis, Inc.

Gudebrod

Ken Preston Custom Rods

Lamiglas

Lamar Manufacturing/ThreadMaster

Lothamer Custom Rods

Mud Hole Custom Tackle

Mickel's Custom Rods

NERBS (NorthEast Rod Builders)

Pacific Bay International

REC Components

Renzetti, Inc.

RodMaker Magazine

St. Croix Rods & Blanks

Sticks and Bones

Swampland Custom Rods

Swifty Manufacturing (Diamonite)

Trondak U-40

Zebra Lighting Systems (Godwin)

ZipCast

SEMINARS

SATURDAY

10 AM - Basic Rod Building by Jim Upton ~ Learn how to build your own rod through a series of basic instructional steps. It is not as hard as it looks and you can get great results on your first attempt. This is an excellent opportunity to learn the basics from a well known rod builder. No experience required - Jim will show and tell you all you need to know.

11 AM - Casting with Polyester Resin by Joe Emig ~ Make your own unique reel seat inserts, hosels, caps, overlays and more with polyester casting resin. Joe shows you all the steps required plus covers the materials you will need. This is one of the hottest techniques to hit the custom rod building craft in many years. You will not want to miss it!

12 PM (noon) - Grip Flocking by Bill Stevens ~ Another really hot technique that is both easy and fun to do! Bill will go through the steps showing you how to create unique flocked grips of any color and style for your next truly custom rod.

12 PM (noon) - The Sportsfishing Excise Tax by Tom Kirkman ~ Any custom builder that sells rods needs to be aware of this tax, along with who is liable and how to figure, collect and pay it. Recent changes to the tax will also be discussed.

1 PM - Epoxy Marbling by Randy Parpart ~ Randy may be the only guy around who can actually envision a marbled pattern and then actually obtain it with his unique marbling techniques. Learn how to make unique marbled epoxy designs on your next custom rod. It is easy and it is fun, once you know how.

1 PM - Fit and Finish by Andy Dear ~ The difference between a good custom rod and a great custom rod is often found in small details. Andy will discuss the fit and finish details which separate the better custom rods from the also rans.

2 PM - Innovative Rod Building by Rich Forhan ~ Rich is one of the most well known and highly respected custom rod builders working today. Let him show you how to modify existing component parts in order to reach a new level of performance on your next custom rod. Don't miss this one!

3 PM - Thread Weaving and Pattern Design by Jim Upton ~ Learn how to design your own weaving patterns as well as how to execute them in a comprehensive weaving seminar by the Dragon Master himself. Anyone can learn to weave with thread. Let Jim show you how.

4 PM - Rod Repair by Ralph OQuinn ~ You will be amazed and surprised at how easily damaged or broken rods can be repaired and put back into full time service. Ralph is perhaps the top expert in the world when it comes to rod repair. If you offer repair services to your customers, this is one you cannot afford to miss.

SUNDAY

10 AM - Basic Rod Building by Jim Upton ~ Learn how to build your own rod through a series of basic instructional steps. It is not as hard as it looks and you can get great results on your first attempt. This is an excellent opportunity to learn the basics from a well known rod builder. No experience required. Jim will show and tell you all you need to know.

11 AM - Making Multi Piece Rods by Ralph OQuinn ~ Sometimes you cannot find the blank or rod you want in a multi piece design. Do not let anyone tell you that you are out of luck. Ralph will show you how to make your own multipiece rods and ferrules! With the knowledge learned here, you can make a great performing multi piece rod from nearly any one piece blank!

12 PM (noon) - Basic CrossWrapping by Mark Crouse ~ Mark is well known for his exceptional thread work. Let him launch you on your own career in decorative thread wrapping with his insightful seminar on the basics of crosswrapping. After this one, you will never again look at custom thread art and have to wonder how it is done!

12 PM (noon) - Grip Flocking by Bill Stevens ~ Another really hot technique that is both easy and fun to do! Bill will go through the steps showing you how to create unique flocked grips of any color and style for your next truly custom rod.

1 PM - Making Custom Cork & EVA Grips by Mike Barkley ~ Ever thought about adding some extra pizazz to your handles and grips by combining cork and EVA? What about creating unique checkerboard or diamond patterns with cork? Mike will show you how to create unique, stunning and truly custom grips that you will never see on commercially made rods.

1 PM - The Sportsfishing Excise Tax by Tom Kirkman ~ Any custom builder that sells rods needs to be aware of this tax, along with who is liable and how to figure, collect and pay it. Recent changes to the tax will also be discussed.

2 PM - Advanced Turning Techniques by Andy Dear ~ Take your wood turning to the next level with Andys tutorial on combing newer inlay, material and craft techniques with custom rod handles, seats and grips. Andy will also cover some lathe and turning basics for those who are just preparing to get starting in this exciting phase of custom rod building.

2 PM - The Revolver Rod by Rich Forhan ~ Although developed primarily for bass fishing, Rich's trademarked Revolver rod combines a host of features and innovations that make it ideal for a wide variety of fishing situations. Rich will explain his version of the spiral wrap, the Forhan Locking Wrap, the split grip, The RF-lite reel seat and some innovative component modifications.

3 PM - Weaving Jigs and Color Change Weaving by Jim Upton ~ As one of the foremost thread artists in the world, come watch and learn as Jim shows the pros and cons of most of the popular weaving jigs, looms, and devices on the market today. Which is right for you? Jim will show you. Then, stay tuned as Jim covers the basics of making color changing weaves. If you enjoy thread art, you will not want to miss this one!

*A number of interactive demonstrations will be ongoing during the entire weekend at the "Rod Builder Tables" located down the first aisle of the show floor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Final List
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:59AM

Noticed the note at the bottom - Tables Down First Aisle - Have you
redone the booth set ups from the picture that was posted?

Kinda Like The "Charlotte Live Sea Scrolls" - Museum Quality!

Here We Come!

Date: February 14, 2006 11:17AM

No, but the table order and vendors there weren't quite done.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 04:51PM

I thought ealier that you had said that Bingham Ent. was going to be there.
Have they changed their minds?

Date: February 14, 2006 04:57PM

Apparently they did.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:26PM

I'll be happy no matter where I am as long as it's in Charlotte. I was kind of hoping that the "hands on" tables could have faced the rest of the show (Fly Fishing) show floor you know where the camping trailers and (beautiful cedar canoe that almost followed me home were last year) ... Maybe drag some interest to the rod-building area. Maybe next year - More noise, more dust and more threads & bits of tape on the floor. All in all though it's a fantastic location near to the food concession and the casting area(s).

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 07:25PM

Tom,I thought I heard earlier that Ray Jorgensen was not going to be at the show,however CCW is listed above.Will the company be represented by someone other than Ray???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 14, 2006 09:13PM

Ken,

Maybe you didn't get over to the fly fishing area last year - not much excitement. The Rod Builders Show was the show, and it will be again this year. The Fly Fishing Show is riding our coattails at this point. If you have a chance early on Saturday, walk a couple aisles and look at the fly fishing area then come back and look at the rod building area again. There is no comparison in terms of numbers of people or excitement.

Date: February 14, 2006 09:16PM

Fred,

Ray's son may be there. Haven't heard back yet.

Date: February 14, 2006 10:02PM

Tom,
I was so busy last year I hardly had time to turn around. The only seminars I "saw" I was giving.... up the esclator, up the stairs, down the stairs, down the escalator. I don't doubt that there was more 'excitement' in the rod building area at all. I know I came away exhausted just trying to keep up talking with and meeting people. It was a wonderful event last year with this year promising better seminars and more interactive set ups with more builders 'in the game' NERBS with Billy, Swamplands and the "gator boys", Andy , Bob McKamey and Coach (I'd bet) , Marc Crouse, and of course
Tom Kirkman... it will be THE event of the year.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:17PM

Hey, what happened to the floor plan? Seems I cannot find it anymore. It seems things keep changing still. I need to know where to jump into Andy's garbage cans.

Ed Smith

Date: February 14, 2006 10:26PM

Look for my back, Ed! Or just listen for what sounds like raccoons outside in the trash LOL

Date: February 14, 2006 10:33PM

It's in the miscellanious category.

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:58PM

I have it on good authority that Andy's trash cans arent going to be available until about 11:00 Saturday.

But I will let you know if I get done early...heh heh heh...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster