I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Board Loading Speed
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 05:32PM

If there are 30 people on line at the same time -

All of which are using the right click buttom to open threads or look around by opening another window could that cause increasing load on the server.

If we stopped that practive would it help any?

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Board Loading Speed
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 19, 2005 08:44PM

Not to complain, but just to state this observation: All I know is that the loading speed at RBO is slower than ever, as far as my system and software configuration is concerned. Monday is always a slow day with my server, as well, ...... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2005 08:58PM

30? Bill, you're not even close. This site often sees well over a thousand people all looking in and viewing topics, articles, photos, glossary, ad clicks, buy/sell page, etc., at the same time. The site is very popular and continues to get more and more hits each month. I'm tapped out and can't afford the equipment we need to get the performance of the site back up to par. The one thing I can guarantee you, is that things are going to get a lot worse in the next few months. That's just the harsh reality of the situation.

If only 30 people were using the site at the same time, we'd have no problems with traffic.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 09:31PM

Tom,

Thanks for being straight up!

It has become glacial but suppose I will survive!

Too many good things to read!

Keith

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 09:51PM

Glad to see this post. Thought something was wrong with my computer

Posted by: david lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:02PM

Would it help if we were to donate, say $10 once in a while? Paypal is good for that.

Dave

Posted by: Jerry Weir (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:25PM

Tom,

Are you using a hosting facility with guaranteed response time? I suspect that the problem is not with the server. The problem could also be related to the communication circuit. Is this a dedicated T-1 server?

Just wondering.

Date: December 19, 2005 11:02PM

There are several bottlenecks all caused by the amount of resources on this site and the number of people who access them daily. Something will turn up. It always does. We'll just have to put up with a little slower site for a while.

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:14AM

Sheesh. I got dial up service, and this site is hands down the fastest loading site I visit. Dell inspiron 1150 laptop even. Dont change anything, then I will have problems! Levi

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: December 20, 2005 08:26AM

I have a T1 line and this site is the slowest site I access. Sometimes it takes 20 seconds to view a page, while other sites (e.g. Wash Post) that get millions of hits a day takes less than one second. There is definitely a bottleneck here that very few other sites have. Were this not such a unique and awesome site, I would have given up long ago.

Date: December 20, 2005 09:04AM

If I had the resources that the Washington Post has, this site would load just as fast as theirs does. I do the best I can with what I have.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:16AM

I understand your policy on this type of thing but what I cannot understand is the attitude and actions of the companies in the rod building industry. Next to the Rodmaker magazine, this site has surely done more to further the craft of rod building than any other single thing and by the same token has done more to increase their sales than anything else. But too many of them continue to throw money away on a rod building "club" that does next to nothing for anyone. It just seems to me that their money would be better spent contributing to sites such as this one where their bread really gets buttered than throwing it down a hole where a few fat cats roll in the dough.

Date: December 20, 2005 09:24AM

Related Posts & Replies for more background & history on factors effecting RBO Forum Speed & Loading:

Forum Load Speed by: Mike Barkley Sept. 8, 2005 [www.rodbuilding.org] Anyone else finding the load speed incredibly slow??? It's not my PC because all other sites load immediately. I have a high speed connection but this site has been extremely slow opening for awhile now. Mike Barkley

Survey: What's RBO, etc Worth to You? by Cliff Hall Sept. 12, 2005 [www.rodbuilding.org] To All my Fellow Rod-Builders and Visitors at RodBuilding.Org (RBO): Imagine a world –and your life– without any of these: [RBO-Forum, RBO-PhotoGallery, RMM, The Show, etc] -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 09:41AM by Cliff Hall.

Date: December 20, 2005 09:29AM

It is true that the rod building industry does not subsidize this site - I do not receive monetary donations as some others have. But if you check the sponsor list to the left you will see that quite a few companies do realize the value of this place and they do buy advertising here. Sure, the sponsor fee is pretty darn low compared to what they receive in return, but they do buy advertising here nonetheless. So I think most are aware of the impact this site has had and continues to have on the rod building craft.

It has been suggested that I raise the sponsor fee and that's a possible solution. $29 a month is pretty small potatoes considering that this site drives more traffic to their websites and contributes more to their business than any other rod building website in existence - and by a wide margin. But I also recognize that the market is tight right now - plenty of product is being sold but at very low margins. Nobody is getting rich.

As I said, something will turn up. For the time being, we'll just have to wait a bit longer for pages to load. Having too much traffic is a problem, but perhaps not nearly as bad as having almost zero traffic and a site that has little to offer anyone. Every scenario has its own set of problems, some are worse than others and I'd rather have too much traffic than too little. The participation here is still the best on the internet and the amount of information available here is unparalleled anywhere other than in RodMaker. Not a bad set of problems to have, really. It's all a matter of perception.

Date: December 20, 2005 09:45AM

At $29 per month, it's a STEAL, ... IMO, Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:50AM

I use to pay $25.00 a year to belong to a club that I got nothing out of. I would gladly pay that and more to have access to this board.
I am sure Tom had a plan for a free board for everyone to have access to when he started this and I am just as sure he did not belive that it would be as big a hit with the rod building community that it is today.
Tom it is time to change the buisness plan, there is no good reason for one man to bear the burden so thousands can enjoy. When you sell a rod you are asking a price that covers the cost of the materials to pay for your time and put some profit back into the company so the equipment can be maintained or replaced as needed . This board should be no different.

Allen
San Jose CA.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.158.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:25PM

Sure, the site is not the quickest loading, but I think we have all gotten spoiled. Imagine a time before the Internet - where on Earth could you find this much info, in one place? Nowhere. A few seconds waiting for a page to load is not too bad, considering the impossibility of getting such information just a few years ago.
But, I will say that the sponsors of this site get tremendous value. Every single component I have ever bought has been bought from one of these suppliers, and I found them on this site.
And, I second Shawn's comments on the "club." I have looked at that site, and associated meetings. It is almost totally worthless compared to this site.
Steve Broadwell

Date: December 20, 2005 02:38PM

Slow as it may be, the site is still up and running. As I've said before, I will try and do my best to invest in what we need here to speed things up as funds allow.

I do appreciate the many comments and suggestions, it shows that people do value this site. I only wish I could accomodate all of them. In the meantime, I would ask that we not make any harsh comments about other rod building sites. Everybody likes something different and there certainly are some very good rod building sites around other than just this one. Besides, I know full well the work and problems associated with running such a forum. As I said earlier, we all have problems with our sites/forums, they just differ in nature. I have a lot of empathy for the owners and operators of most other forums.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:20PM

It may be worth at least letting your sponsors know the troubles you are having and see if it would be worth it to them put a little more into helping you keep this site working smoothly. It may be in their best interest too. I am sure that there is a lot of people browsing their sites and making orders that they wouldn't get if this site was not what it is.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 02:51AM

My new New Year's resolution: I will not open up any threads dealing with site loading speeds, kicking in money to Tom when he's made it PERFECTLY clear that it won't be done (I'd still throw a 10 spot yer way to keep the Krishna's outa the airport, tho), or any others on this dead horse.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster