I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Forum Load Speed
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 05:10PM

Anyone else finding the load speed incredibly slow??? It's not my PC because all other sites load immediately. I have a high speed connection but this site has been extremely slow opening for awhile now.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forum Load Speed
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2005 05:21PM

No, it's not on your end. This is a problem that is getting worse and worse as the traffic to this website continues to grow. It's one of the few bad things that come from being popular, I guess.

Ian has talked with me about getting a dedicated server for just this site. I plan to do it just as soon as funds become available.

Date: September 08, 2005 05:55PM

I figured as much. Just one more expense that visitors to this site aren't aware of!! Dedicated server is a little pricey, isn't it?

Mike

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 08:47PM

I noticed that too,but good things come to those that wait!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 08, 2005 08:55PM

I wasn't complaining, just obseving!! You're right, Fred, definately worth the wait!!!
Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 09:35PM

I thought it was me, lol. My computer is a mess though, and I have been angry at it and yelling at it or being so slow. I'm gonna by it flowers and take it out to dinner as an offer of peace,lol

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 09:50PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought it was me, lol. My computer is a mess
> though, and I have been angry at it and yelling at
> it or being so slow. I'm gonna by it flowers and
> take it out to dinner as an offer of peace,lol
>
>
> XL Rods

Just make sure you feed it small bytes.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:11PM

I use the "tab" function on Firefox - I click on rodbuilding.org's bookmark, and go elsewhere while the page loads.

A dedicated server can run into some bucks, depending on the hardware and software that is used to run the thing. Then that may not be enough, a faster connection may be required too. - - $$$$ - -

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2005 10:28PM

Com ona my house come on! Then you will know the final definition of slow - AOL on dialup! - Can go get a six pack between posts -

Gon

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 09, 2005 08:19PM

A little slower here, nothing dramatic like you all are saying. But then my configuration has always been sluggish to begin with. Usually about 10-15 seconds to go from my school homepage [cop.flu.edu] to RBO "Done". When the status bar tells me "Resolving" RBO, I know something has gummed up the works. Then I just usually re-boot, because of PC issues on my end. I'm using a dial-up connection thru a major university (UFL.EDU) and NETSCAPE 7.1 for my browser (which some computer pro's consider to be notorious for crashing). LOL, Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2005 12:53AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: September 09, 2005 10:57PM

heck guys
I got Juno and only pay 10 a month. Mine is slow so I clean the temperory files 4-5 times a day, and also defrag.

Not that bad??

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 10, 2005 04:43PM

had this same problem on another fish forum website i frequent. it was decided that for a small yearly fee (which was well supported), you would become a paid suscriber with advanced options. for the non paying member nothing would change. the end result was a new, faster loading website. for the wealth of information that this site brings, i would have no problem supporting it.
ross

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 10, 2005 05:56PM

For those of you have dial up and have no choice other than satellite, which is sort of expensive, you might want to check out [www.onspeed.com] I got it and it speeds up my dial up about 10 times.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2005 08:52PM

The problem is on this end. The size of the database and the amount of traffic we get is just overwhelming at this point. It'll cost me a couple thousand dollars to set it up on a dedictated server and another $2400 to have it hosted for the next year and that's simply more money than the site can afford. This is not exactly a lucrative venture.

But I'll work on things as we go along. It may be a few months before I can move forward with any of this so we'll just have to make do for the time being.

Date: September 11, 2005 09:26AM

Mr.Tom Kirkman - Doing the Math (IMO-cmhall): You have said that there are 10,000 Subscribers to RMM. They represent a pool of RBO visitors who have demonstrated a willingness to pay for their information-access rights. If 5% of those 10,000 Rod-Builders are willing to pay $10 each for an entire year of access privileges, then that is $10 x 0.05(10,000) = $5,000. That seems to begin to cover your preliminary acquisition costs for a dedicated Server.

You can still support a TWO-TIER Access system, which is what you (seem to) have now. And all the casual and “hit & run” Visitors can still visit RBO and see how valuable your Forum & Database are. You can decide where to draw the line of Access privilege. But I am suggesting that many Internet users are already accustomed to some sort of two-tier Access system.

If you lose traffic because of slow Forum-Server speed, then that is its own consideration. If you start to charge something like a $10 registration fee for FULL ACCESS, then you can probably cover costs AND reduce some of your clutter-traffic. In fact, a $5 fee every 6 months may help fend off some of the idle curiosity, if that is what is slowing you down. (Only you and your web people know your user profiling, with respect to frequency, time-on-site, features accessed, etc.)

So, let me know where to send my $5 or $10. We can't go see one movie for $5 a head any more. Even a DVD rental is coming close to that price. The price of gasoline and bait for even the nearest little fishing trip is probably over $5 for most people, even for shore-bound fisherman. Nor can 3 people eat anything particularly worth remembering at "Mickie-Dees" fast-food restaurant for under $10.

What RBO offers is a far better value, compared to other common modern expenditures. And it is a much better value than other Internet "entertainment" activities, such as dating websites. ... RBO is a sure thing for the hobbyist seeking reliable information and quality entertainment, because it is true that: "Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft." RBO is worth an admission fee, if you think about it.

Many here at RBO have agreed that no one would build a custom fishing rod for a paying customer for less than $XX above cost (usually cited as ~$100). Why then do we think that the best rod-building website can always be expected to be available for free? I, for one, do not see it as a deterrent to continued use, nor is it an unreasonable consequence of growth and the passage of time.

When I first came on-board last August 2004, my very first comments to you, Mr. Kirkman, were that RBO was so outstanding that I would gladly pay an annual Membership fee of $5-15. Any stupid dating website costs that much each MONTH. RBO is clearly head and shoulders above everything else out there COMBINED, as far as building fishing rods is concerned.

You can always back off later if it seems to adversely affect your clientele. Those who complain may not be spending much money with the Sponsors anyway. That's the dead wood that may need some pruning. What the right thing ot od is , or what is best in the long run, I don’t know. But perhaps something should be done. Maybe a trial Membership, say for 10 or 20 days. Maybe just a one-time $5 registration fee. Or something. I realize that most rod-builders are tight-wads – that’s how most of us got started in rod-building. Too cheap to buy another factory rod, or to pay someone else to repair it for us. But within a short while, we were spending 3-5 times the price of that junky factory fishing pole on our own handiwork, and are simply fascinated with the joys of rod-building.

Guys, isn’t that worth a few bucks to ensure that the ship is still sailing the next time we excitedly show up at the dock and what to head out on the “good ship looli-pop”, I mean, RBO info-tanker? (If you don’t how who Shirley Temple was, forget it.) If that’s what it takes to preserve RBO, I’m in !! …

Remember less than 2 weeks ago when we read the timeless words of John Ruskin: (in the Post “For builders who sell rods”, posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator), Aug. 31, 2005) [www.rodbuilding.org] : "When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all: But when you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.” … Two or three years from now, I don’t want to be telling people how great RBO “WAS” – I want to be saying how great RBO “IS”.

Obviously, Mr. Kirkman, you are hitting another level of growth, and that often incurs the requirement for a new support structure. Adding another support beam may be the only way to the added weight on the second floor from bringing down the house. Not adapting is a meta-stable condition which is subject to spontaneous reversion to the lower level of stability, or a certain dysfuncion at the higher level. I suspect neither condition is what you want. And this is one case where the default position of indecision may decide for you, whether you like it or not. Also, since RBO is just a part of the bigger picture, of RBO, the Photo Gallery, RodMaker Magazine and the RBO Show, then a threat to one may be a threat to all. THAT would really be a shame. ... So, where do I send my $10?

[End of soliloquy] IMO, -LOL, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Date: September 11, 2005 09:47AM

I am not going to tell you how to run things -- But, you are starting to say things like it is starting to get a little expensive to run this site ???
Then why do you keep taking Articals out of the Mag -- that people Pay for and give them away for free ??
The infor about the CCS system Should be in the mag - more income !
The CCS system site you are putting up I am sure it is costing you money ??

This site is great, and you could get money for it --
but you keep putting things on the internet that could be in the Mag??
Those FreeBees are costing you money.

Plain and simple -- stop giving all that infor that people are paying for - for free.

Date: September 11, 2005 10:43AM

Bill Boettcher - One principle of growth is you have to sacrifice a few apples if you want more apple trees. If CCS is ever gonna catch on, it needs a medium for converting the masses to it. Think ahead, Bill. This is a chess game, not checkers. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: September 11, 2005 10:48AM

I agree with Cliff. If you want to keep the site 100% free and open to all just let us know where to send a donation. I am sure there are many here that are more than willing to help with the cost of a new server.

Date: September 11, 2005 10:56AM

So I don't have to buy the mag because all the articals that are in it are now in the Library Page and the Faq's Page ??
Lost money.

You think about it -- it catches on to all factory producers of rods - now any rod ( off the shelf ) is as good as the ones ( we ) build ???

Then who needs us to build rods ???? If this is a hobby to you - it ain't to me.

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 11, 2005 10:59AM

I'm with Cliff and Bob. This forum is so valuable to me tha I am willing to donate/pay a membership to improve it or keep it going.

Where do I send the money?

Dan Hogan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster