I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Under Wrap?
Posted by: Paul McNeill (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 06:26PM

I'm building a rod for my dad using a spiral wrap. I've got everything set up where I like it, but now I'm not sure if I should underwrap the guides. While looking on the photo page it seemed every 2 foot guide was underwraped. Is this necessary? What are the advantages. This is going to be spec and red fish rod used primarly in the bays. It is a 7.5' rod. Do I need to underwrap or is wraping the feet enough?
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Under Wrap?
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 07:23PM

HI PAUL,
My 2cents, an underwrap can give a more attractive overall job with 2 foot guide. I see the rod is not a big one , 7'6"
but you didn't mention the strength or action , lbs. line. But I do like to have that cushion between the rod surface and the metal feet.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:01PM

There is no reason to underwrap guides other than for cosmetic purposes. On lighter rods, the additional weight of thread and epoxy can make a difference in regards to some measure of lost performance (see RodMaker Volume 8 #3 for more scientific measurements proving this).

If your guide feet are nicely prepped, and have no sharp burrs on the bottom, underwrapping is not necessary. If, however, you want to added look of a second color there, go right ahead or consider doing false underwraps where the wrap is only made between the guide feet instead of all along and underneath them.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 08:14PM

Hi Paul
I will chime in with Dave here. An under wrap can add a lot of beauty to a rod. And I like Dave use underwraps on my ocean gear. Call me silly buy I like a buffer between metal and blank.

But Is it necessary. No. I am sure others will let you know why.

Bottom line is Do what feels right to you.

Doc Ski

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:27PM

I only build freshwater fly and bass casting-spinning. I don't use underwraps as I feel the added weight does make a difference on these type rods. I also don't use double foot guides on the mid and tip areas for the same reason.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 12:11AM

Yep, that's why they're called custom rods!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 01, 2005 02:24AM

Now lets not bring up CP, or world war 3 will erupt.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.88.17.231.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2005 03:47AM

Cheap blanks, solid fiberglass = no underwrap. Expensive blanks = underwrap . I do it to protect the blanks.

Lou

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: June 01, 2005 08:42AM

Just out of curiousity, what are you protecting it from??

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (69.41.173.---)
Date: June 01, 2005 09:48AM

As custom builders I think we do not give enough credit to the manufacturers of rods and blanks. If underwrapping were to actually protect the blank and possibly keep even a small percentage from breaking I think they would provide instructions with the blanks telling us to underwrap all guides. There would be no reason for them not to do this if it would save them money on warranty replacements in the long run. For that reason I see no reason to underwrap blanks and would only do it on very heavy rods and only if you just like the look of it.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 01, 2005 12:53PM

It's not often that I do full underwraps anymore, but I like the look so when using double foot guides I almost always use false underwraps.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 05:31PM

Being a underwrap person, and having fought this battle many times. I will stay out of it this time, except to say that the extra time it takes on heavy rods is worth it. John Butterfield

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster