I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA and Hypalon
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 05:59PM

1) Would there be issues trying to make custom grips of both EVA and Hypalon together? Would they glue together ok, turn/cut differently, Feel different, on the same grip?
2) How are colored EVA inlays shown at the following mudhole site used? I dont see anything in Volume 7 Issue 3 about how to use them in grips and was curious...

[shop.mudhole.com]

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/inputs on the subject

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA and Hypalon
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:21PM

I've put EVA trim rings into Hypalon, but would not do a true image inlay in Hypalon. THE materials do not sand at teh same rate, and EA is harder than Hypalon, it's just won't work. Whil eI was pleased when I first did this, once I used it a few times I noticed that when I installed the grip, the HYpalon expanded a little, and the EVA did not - which coused a "dents" where the EVA was, and in one spot teh EVA pulled away from the HYpalon (1/4"). Still, I like this grip, but would be a lot less "inventive" if I were to use the 2 materials together again.

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Date: May 31, 2005 09:23PM

THos estrips can be used to make grips like this, which is the butt section on the rod in the prior post's photo:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Here are a few other grip inlays:
[www.fishingphotos.net]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:37PM

Ok I feel stupid. Are you cutting out shapes from the estrip and routing the area in the grip to the shape and depth of the inlay? That sounds very difficult

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2005 09:40PM

They will glue up okay but will feel different and wear differently. I've tried it but won't bother doing it again. I didn't like the end results. If you use one or the other only for VERY narrow and very few inlays then okay. But other than that it's just not very good.

Date: May 31, 2005 11:17PM

Steve, I think on the Mudhole site there is (was) a how to on making image inlays, or grip inlays. Each piece is cut up individually ort ouf each seperate color (traced), glued together to make the image, then teh grip is routed, or dug out with an exacto, glued up & sanded. I spent between 5-20 hours on each one of those grips, so it is a little time consuming, but worth it when all is said & done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster