I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ross Evolution reels
Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 01:45PM

I recently bought 2 Ross Evolution reels (#2 for a 4 wt. and #3 for a 6 wt.) and after a dozen uses or so I wanted to share what fantastic reels these are. They are the lightest reels you can buy and come with a lifetime warranty and 2-day turnaround on repairs or replacement. The drag is extremely smooth ( I caught 20 lb. steelhead on 6x tippet) and they hold a fair amount of backing for a large arbor reel.

$250-290 is a lot of money but I figure I'll never have to replace them again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ross Evolution reels
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2005 03:23PM

Ross is known for making great reels that last a lifetime.

Now I'll share a discovery of my own. Anyone who has the chance to pick up a Pflueger Trion owes it to themselves to do it. They retail for about $85. I'll be replacing all my expensive reels with these this year. Best reels I think I've ever used.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2005 03:57PM

I will second the notion on the Ross Evolution reels,however on topic of reels and more importantly reel fittings ,can anyone offer any advice regarding Abel coral camo fittings.I have been thinking about getting a one to fit onto my next flyrod project to match one of my coral camo reels.
And who if any of the sponsers can help in the price and availability of one,if they are any good?

thanks in Advance

Bryan

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 19, 2005 04:08PM

Tom, I had a closer look at the pics of the Pflueger and it sure looks like a retooled Redington LA. I have the 3/4 LA and find it to be solid but overbuilt and heavy. Would you rate the Plueger ahead of your old favorite Loomis Adventure?

Sorry to get off topic. About the Ross reels, I'll have to try one, I think I've owned just about every other brand but Ross.

Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Date: April 19, 2005 04:30PM

Redington doesn't make reels - never did. But they had them made by the same company that makes the Pflueger reels. The Pfluegers are more reasonably sized and somewhat lighter. Yes, I like them better than the Loomis Adventure Series, although there is nothing at all wrong with those. All very good reels. I think you're going to see reels like the Pflueger do to the reel market what the St. Croix Imperial and eary Legend rods did to the fly rod market.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 05:03PM

Any sponsors sell the Trion's?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 12:05AM

I've been pretty impressed with the Trions too--besides the Redingtons, they're almost a carbon-copy of the new Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock Mid-Arbor (previously--though very shortly--the Pro Guide Mid Arbor). The only dif I can discern is the Trion is milled to vent the back plate where the Orvis is solid.

I really like the Ross Jeff refers to as well (and the Rhythms, too), but my new favorite is my recent birthday gift from my wife--a new Lamson Litespeed II. :) I'm in love! (The reel ain't bad either!) ;)

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 03:19AM

At the Charlotte Show I compared the Ross Evolution 1.5 with a similar size Waterworks Force reel. I set the drags equally and turne the handles of each. From one to the next. The Ross was far more comfortable in the comparison. The difference was in the ergonomics; specifically the relative placement of the handles from the center of each reel. The Waterworks was even a tiny bit lighter but the Ross was the run away winner for me. I do hear great things about LamsonLightspeeds and will give one a try when it's time. but the Ross 1.5 will be my next reel. I even prefer it to the Tibor Light Tailwater I have although the two are very similar in ergonomics. The Ross just feels more substantial even though it weighs less across the board. I am just as enamored with fine reels as I am with custom rods and Ross is incredible for the money. I must say I have done well buying reels on the big @#$%& site. I won't dare buy a blank there, but a NIB reel with warranty from a 100% seller...you bet!

Date: April 20, 2005 08:48AM

The Orvis reel comes off the same line as the Pflueger. They just charge two to three times the price for it. And, it's heavier than the Trion.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.inchord.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 09:01AM

In the 5/6 line weight size the Orvis Mid-Arbor sells for $115 (Orvis.com) and the Pflueger Trion for $109 (Cabela's). Both are great values but they are both heavy- 5.8 oz. for the Orvis, 5.9 oz. for the Pflueger.

I bought a Pflueger Contender spinning reel and it corroded after 4 days on a Florida trip, even with daily wash down. Not impressed.

Date: April 20, 2005 10:40AM

I'm sure you're right about the price of the Orvis reel - I haven't kept up with their retail prices lately. The Pflueger Trion can be bought most places for about $85. Best value in a fly reel I've used or sold in some 20 years and I've sold Abel, Islander, Fin-Nor, Lamson, SA, and others. I may change my opinion after a season or two, but for now I'm getting ready to order a half dozen more.

Posted by: Mike Rury (---.110.25.242.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 12:06PM

I own the 1.5 Evolution, and have to say it's a fantastic reel. It is pricey, and if I had to do it all over again I'd also take a look at the Ross Rythm. It's the same drag system, same materials, just different machining (it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the evolution, in my opinion)... and a significant amount less expensive.

Posted by: Ted DeMatteo (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2005 02:01PM

Check out Hook and Hackle for the Pluegers. I bought one but find it a bit heavy in the lighter weights. For me, I think the best value out there is a Teton (not the Tioga version).

Date: April 20, 2005 08:03PM

I agree with Ted, I really like the Tetons for $100 +/-. I like the variety of finishes and details, some are plain black, others gusmoke with wood accents and yet others with decorative engraving. Functional and pretty.

Mark Janeck

Date: April 21, 2005 08:55AM

I was one of Teton's very first dealers. They're nice, simple reels. The Tioga, which is the same reel for the most part, sells for around $100. The Teton models are about twice that. I still have the 4th reel they ever made and use it occasionally.

One thing I find about nearly all fly reels, is that they benefit greatly by being retro-fitted with a better handle. Some are okay, but many are just awful. Too small, too short.

Date: April 21, 2005 10:32AM

I got all my Teton reels from a guy on @#$%& (Mike Scott I think) that seemed to get alot of very unique reels from Teton, some 'one-offs' where Teton would play around with various engraving locations or styles, or special editions. I found these reels to be quite unique and unlike any available in stores. All were in the $95-125 range. I have one that is Gunsmoke coloured, with a beautiful engraved (or laser etched) design around the edge of the frame, with wood inserts on the spool release and wood knob. Simply stunning reel. one thing that always bugged me though, is the sound of these reels is backwards in my opinion. I think a reel should, in a perfect world, be silent on the retrieve, and click when paying out line via the drag. Tetons click in, and silent out? Maybe its me that is backwards.

Mark Janeck

Date: April 24, 2005 09:32AM

No, I think you're right. You want to know when line is paying out - you already know when it's coming in by virtue of the fact that you're turning the handle. I also prefer the silent retrieve but subtle click on outgoing line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster