I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod-building vs Fly-tying
Posted by: Brandon Jackson (---.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:29PM

Short questions often evoke lengthy answers: why? how? and so forth...here is one such question.
We are thinking about adding a rodbuilding section to our flyshop and have found that it would require a new and very, very expensive classification of insurance:

Why is rodbuilding considered manufacturing while flytying is not?

And we are using the term rodbuilding loosely meaning simply slapping on guides and preformed grips for a shop specific brand of rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod-building vs Fly-tying
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:42PM

Brandon,
I will bet a nickel that your insurance company is giving you the insurance rates for blank manufacturing which involves a lot of machinery and would naturally have higher insurance rates. But higher insurance rates for rod building verses fly tying makes no sense. It is either that or you need to look fro a new insurance company.

Posted by: Brandon Jackson (---.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:47PM

That's what I thought Emory; however after contacting them and describing the process and what was involved they say that it is an industry standard to require the manufacturing label upon that form of work...

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 12:59PM

Hi Brandon - I dont see it as any different than slapping some thread and feathers on a preformed hook. I have no idea why fly tying is not manufacturing because I take components (thread, hooks and feathers) and put them together to make a piece of equipment (lure) to catch fish. How is fly tjying any different than making a lure or rod for that matter? By the way we are building a rod because otherwise we would be building a blank or a Pole(ie cane/bamboo)
Isnt fly tying involved with excise tax?

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: April 19, 2005 01:29PM

Maybe someone out there in "Insurance land", could shed some logic on this.
Could be part of the risk management theory they operate on.

I'm gonna follow this thread for my own risk management risky risk.

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 02:02PM

Brandon,
Doc makes a couple of good points. It does not make any sense to me unless it is just some arbitrary category change. Have you checked with other insurance companies?

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 02:39PM

If you are looking at the insurance industry for logic you'll be out of luck. They charge whatever they want. I think they have people working full time coming up with excuses to raise policies. "You bought a new car? Your premiums will increase." "You bought an older car? Well it costs more to insure old cars. Your premium will increase".

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: April 19, 2005 02:55PM

Darrell- lets not be assuming all insurance is like this. It's not like they just throw the pricing models out the window when assigning a premium to your poilcy or any policy for that matter. Blame your state insurance regulators, they after all, are the people who are the real powers that be. The insurance companies must bend and change at there behest or the product will not be available for sale in that state. Not to mention the exorbanant amount of fraud that they deal with....just the legal fees for this can total in the hundereds of millions a year for this. There are many different classifications of insurance not just insuring property. Anyway-

I would ask them what they are insuring-what there coverages are etc. Sounds like to me they are trying to throw you under some type of total coverage policy-meaning- people, parts, products, liabilities etc. Looks like to me that you need to tell them what you want covered instead of letting them decide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2005 03:26PM

Both fly tying and rod building are subject to the Sportfishing Excise Tax, if any of those flies or rods are sold by anyone.

My question would be what this insurance is for. Is it just a rider to your existing liability insurance to protect you in case of a rod building class accident? If they actually have that spelled out in the policy there may be little you can do about it. But you could contact other insurance companies on the chance that another one may see it differently.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 03:45PM

i have been an insurance agent for 30 years. the problem is that insurance companies have broad catagories of risks . it is really difficult to gather statistics for rating every single type of manufacturing operation. rates come from actual experience and custom rod building is a rather small industry. probably not much actuarial experience available for companies to build a rate model from. so, they lump you into "manufacturing". some companies (like mine) won't insure
ANY manufacturing operation (expecially here in california) because product liability is such a bugaboo here. don't blame the insurance companies. they are just the messenger. the real problem is the lottery mentality in the legal system. certainly, manufacturers are responsible for many ills and evils but the legal system is responsible too. rates reflect the insurance companies
cost of doing business and thier actual losses. with a large and healthy insurance industry and a free market, if insuring manufacturing businesses did not represent a high probability of loss insurance companies would COMPETE for this business and rates would be low.

Re: Rod-building vs Fly-tying--ADENDUM
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-69-70rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 19, 2005 07:20PM

the policy you currently have is designed around the risks inherent in a retail store. the rates charged are a reflection of that type of risk. the risks involved are fairly benign compared to a manufacturing risk, which goes on forever once that product is in the consumers hand. it is the products liability thing. in a retail store the deep pockets are usually the manufacturer of the product. if a products liability claim is brought against a retail store the insurance company can usually get declaritory releaf and push the liability for the claim onto the manufacturer and releave the retailer of any responsiblity. the rates charged reflect that fact. when you change the perameters and risk assumptions by having a situation where the retailer is manufacturing something the whole probability of loss changes and the rate being charged no longer reflects the risk to the insurance company. it is hard for an insurance company to differentiate between a pretty mundain operation like rod building and some other more dangerous product. when the insurance company files its rates with a department of insurance it has to file and FOLLOW its underwriting guidelines. so they simply say we have a different rate structure for "manufacturing". they can't say (or should not say) well, this is just rod building so we will ignore the underwriting rules we have filed with the commissioner. the first time they get audited they get fined for violating their own underwriting rules. frankly, i'm surprised they let you get away with fly tying. i think an agent just looked the other way on that one. not that it poses a big risk (although i have hurt myself with flies more than i have with rods) it IS manufacturing and does have some small but inherant products liablity risk that is not being charged for in your premium. its all PERFECTLY logical. just anoying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster