I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

White River Classic ULReel
Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 04:12PM

Got mine in the mail today. Black.
Worth EVERY penny! Nice fit and finish.
Weighed in at 2.34oz bare, and 3.26oz with 50yds 12# backing and an orvis Superfine WF1F(90')
(will weigh slightly less with the 80' Rio pocketwater I have on order.)

One wish......spare spools!!!!!

RB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White River Classic ULReel
Posted by: Don Davis (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:12PM

Robert. I believe they make spare spools, but at the price, may as well get another reel. The bronze was pretty nice looking too at the local Bass Pro shop.

Posted by: Mark Van Ditta (134.192.173.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:58AM

Robert Box Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got mine in the mail today. Black.
> Worth EVERY penny! Nice fit and finish.
> Weighed in at 2.34oz bare, and 3.26oz with 50yds
> 12# backing and an orvis Superfine WF1F(90')
> (will weigh slightly less with the 80' Rio
> pocketwater I have on order.)
>
> One wish......spare spools!!!!!
>
>
> RB
>

These reels are manufactured for Bass Pro in Korea by Okuma. I have had a couple of the high-end White River reels (CV2 and CV, which has now been relabled the "Classic"). They are pretty, but they do not hold up to heavy use. IMHO, the best made, low-cost reel is the Teton Tioga. It is also made in the U.S.A.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:39AM

Take a hard look at the new Pflueger Trion. It is the equivilent of most $200+ up reels and it sells for just $80. It will be the reel that begins the new drop in overall fly reel pricing. Many upper end fly reel companies will feel its sting this year, and their prices will drop accordingly. This is one outstanding reel.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:17AM

The Pflueger Trion looks like a nice reel, but it weighs a whopping 5.6 oz in the smallest size. The smallest Pflueger Supreme only weighs 3.25 oz and the standard White River Classic weighs 4.1 oz. I think on 3 weights and less, the weight of the reel becomes a very important factor and as the line weight decreases the importance of reel weight increases.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 06:55AM

If you are using a short 0-3wt,you'll find that you'll need a reel that weighs less than 3 ounces to balance that little outfit in your hand,and there just aren't that many out there.

A Tioga 2 or 3,Loomis Venture 3/4(sweet reel for an average 3 or 4wt)or especially a reel like the new Phleuger 3/4,won't even come close to balancing these little rods.In fact,most 5 wt reels are lighter than the 3/4 Phlueger Trion,so it would be my last choice for anything under a long 4wt with that much bulk.

The ones UNDER 3 ounces that are available(Hardy Flyweight,Sage 3100,ULA Force 1&2,JA Forbes Avon & magnesium,etc),are anything but cheap,so this new White River Ultra Light 2.2 ounce(or whatever is is exactly) is a breath of fresh air!

FINALLY a ultra light reel for under $100 that will let you truly enjoy the feel of an ultralight rod the way it should be!

I plan on ordering one shortly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster