I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help with fitting cork handle
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:04PM

I just received an american tackle wood accented handle and reelseat in the mail. My problem is that the bore of cork handle is a little too large for the blank-it came that way. I have never experienced this before. Always before I have had to file out the handle to make it fit.
My tendency is to make 2 or 3 tape arbors on the blank above the reelseat to make the handle fit snug and then coat it with epoxy before sliding it on - like is done with reelseats. The bore would still be too large where the top of the handle joins the blank but the winding check should cover that up.
Has anyone ever done this before? Am I on the right track?
Thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help with fitting cork handle
Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:47PM

Yes, you're on the right track. Make 3 to 4, 1/2" arbors, prep your blank well for a good adhesion, and use plenty of epoxy.
(Its less time consuming/frustrating to clean up overflow than to have to cut off a loose grip and start over.)

If your winding check still doesnt cover the handle ID 'gap', wrap that area closest to the handle with whatever thread you plan to use, and then pick a winding check 1-2/64ths larger that what you originally had, and add the check over the thread wrap. Makes for a nice transition as well as gives you a little wider check to cover the 'gap'.

RB

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:38PM

How thick is the cork, how large is the gap, how long is the handle? If there is too much free space under the cork when you finish building, you risk compression damage when gripping the handle tightly, such as when fighting a fish. I'd opt for a continous drywall tape arbor for better rigidity; it can be laid in sections, in fact would be easier that way, but there should be no large empty spaces.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:27PM

I concur with Robert on the winding check and with Tom on the arboring. If you are working on a light rod, there shouldn't be too much trouble, but on heavier stuff, I would try to eliminate as much gap as possible. Don't rely on epoxy to fill the voids.

In a pinch, I've used butcher's twine to wrap the length, and when happy with dry fit, give it a coat of epoxy, let dry, then install as usual. With more serious gaps, drywall tape would be a good option.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:47PM

I had the same experience with one these and they don't state anywhere what the bore is.

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:29PM

I've never used drywall tape. Is that something to purchase at a hardware store? The gap is not very much at all and is more pronounced at the front of the grip due to the taper. It is almost a perfect fit on the lower part.
Thanks for all the advise.
Greg

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:20AM

Greg,

I installed one of the same type grip and seat just a week ago. Mine was also a bit too large but not by much. I chose to wrap the blank with thread in a cross weave pattern leaving lots of open space for the Rod Bond to create a secure connection. I use Fiberglass Dry Wall tape only when the gap is at least 3/8"or 10mm.. ...(that's 5mm between the blank walls and the seat/grip I.D.). Gaps smaller than that are easier to fill with thread or twine. The tape (which is sold in hardware stores and most Wal*Marts) is rather messy to deal with. Twine and thread can be wound up and down the entire length of the grip providing a solid base without adding much weight. For any gaps over 3/4" in total I'd use arbors. Flexcoat arbors seem to be the new standard.

Here is a trick I use when working with Drywall Tape. I tie the end of each strip to the blank with thread. Then after buttering each strip I tie the coil against itself with another piece of thread which is pre-strung. This keeps the coil securely in place as I slide the seat or grip over it. Rod Bond is the perfect agent no matter which method you use.

I hope this proves helpful to you. Good luck.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:39AM

Greg: Yes, get the drywall tape at any hardware store, it is an open mesh type, and it should have some adhesive on it. But it doesn't stick all that well to the blank, especially after the rod bond is applied. There are various ways to secure it, such as in the post above. When I use it, I often do it in two steps: put tape on blank with rod bond, let dry, sand it a bit, then put the handle on.

But from your last post: it looks like a thread or twine arbor will be your best solution, as described above..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster