I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why would balancing harm effeciency?
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.tnt7.grand-rapids.mi.da.uu.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 01:23PM

I understand that anything you add to the rod is a freeloader that reduces rod effeciency, but in my mind that would apply more to things added in front of the reel seat. It seems to me that weight added to the rear of the rod would not harm recovery time and effeciency at all since there is no flex in the rod there at all. Weight at the tip is obviously detrimental, but I just do not see how weight at the very back of the rod can be harmful.

Also, wouldn't a balanced rod actually cast better than an unbalanced rod since there would be less fatigue on the angler (unless a tip heavy rod would accelerate forward better and provide more power)? I know that lengthening the handle section could allow for balance without adding weight, but even on today's high-tech balnks, the handles would still have to be longer than what I would like, as a bassfisherman.

I was just wondering if some here could clarify these things for me since it seems like there is a lot of people on both sides of the balancing debate. So far I have built only one rod, a casting rod that is balanced by adding weight to the back, and want to make sure I make the right decision about adding weight for future rods. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Depends
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 24, 2002 01:49PM

Dean,
Adding rear weight or moving the handle to balance one rod, may not be a factor to consider in future blank or component selection. Much depends on the outcome you desire. If adding the weight is the ideal compromise for best casting and match to the reel, etc. than by all means this is a reasonable approach. This does not mean one has to predetermine adding lead to every rod hence being built with different blanks.
It is true the best effieiency is with keeping the weight down more importantly with the tip section.

The light weight highest end blanks are mere ounces, and being tip heavy is not really the consideration and it behooves me why the handle needs to be lengthened on these, unless that is the sheer preference of the angler using the rod. The less weight at the handle the better, but if weigth needs to be added the best method is with small increments and at the butt end. Since it's bass rods that's mentioned here, this may not apply as much to surf casters.
From experience, I find the less weight on the handles, the more they are appreciated for fatigue reduction. On the other hand, a few split shot amounts up to 1/4oz. is not that significant if you feel the balance achieved warrants overiding the consideration of adding this small amount of weight.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Depends
Posted by: Rich Forhan (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: March 24, 2002 03:02PM

Dean,

As a serious bass angler myself, I have pushed this concept of adding weight to change the balance of a rod into every corner there is. Here's what I've come up with. While we have many techniques and a large selection of lures to choose from - our bass fishing falls into a few categories.

Tight line moving lures - (spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits) The tip is always LOADED during the retreive with these lures. I would never add weight to these rods as it would enhance nothing while actually fishing, even though the rod "feels" better in the shop.

Jump lures - (jigs, worms, spoons) Any lead added to the butt to balance the rod - creates inertia - that must move in the opposite direction whenever the tip deflects. I would not add lead to these rods.

Flip/Pitch - This technique (when done correctly) uses the left hand to transition to the rod at the end of each Flip. This creates a well balanced - two handed grip that is quite different than other techniques. Ptichin' is anothing matter - however, one should never pitch when you can move the boat and Flip instead. I would never add lead to these rods.

Finesse lures - These rods (already light) should be kept as light as possible to enhance nothing bites. I would never add lead to a finesse rod.

So in summary - when should you add lead or unnecessary weight to a bass rod to enhance performance - NEVER!

What if a customer wants the rod balanced to a certain point? First explain the above to the angler - if they still want the lead - do it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 03:59PM

Balancing a rod is never harmful. Sometimes, adding weight can be.

If the additional weight needed to balance a rod increases the weight of the rod to a point which is more fatiquing to the angler than fishing with an unbalanced rod would have been, then it would be a mistake to do it.

If you can balance the rod to achieve less fatique on the angler with an amount of weight which does not overcome the intended effect of the balancing, then it is wise to do it.

Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:05PM

Hi Dean I'm pretty much in agreement with Rich except for one deviation. In tip down applications I never add weigth. In tip up applications I do depending on the blank and how much weigth needs to be added. Now Rich I hear what your saying about flippin and pitchin but that assumes that the angler can powerhand baitcast! LOL If you happen to be an uncoordinated geek like me - forget it! It all comes down to personal preference but having said that I would be hard pressed to add 1.5 oz of lead to balance a 3.5oz rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster