I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posted by: Kevin Stull (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 08:28PM

What is the best way to incribe directly on to the blank (rather than on top of a wrapped section)? What kind of prep work is needed on the blank before doing my inscription? Thanks!

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inscription
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:44PM

Maybe Im wrong here... I would not inscribe (I think you mean write on, like with a silver marker or something) on
a wrapped section, I would always do it on the blank. A very light sanding, unless you have a matte surface blank,
otherwise the ink or paint doesnt adhere well and looks crappy. Good luck, Im too shakey from booze and
blunt head trauma, no way can I feehand on a blank. Im waiting for some stickers. Levi

Posted by: Stan Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2005 09:46PM

Kevin, after a few misques and beers I finally ended up with the following procedure.
I use a Hybred Gel Roller pen, print over a clear epoxy section (wait til epoxy is dry) then
I zap it, in about a couple hours with Krylon clear Acrylic, let dry for about an hour, and then
give it a final coat of finish, ( I still use Flex Coat H/B) I have no more nightmares.
Hope this helps
Stan

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 10:12PM

I just bought some avery clear labels to print out inscriptions. Much to my dismay, I found out my inkjet doesn't print white or anything else that shows up well and looks good on a matt charcoal blank.

How are white inscriptions printed?

I wound up writing on the labels with silver gel pen then placed it on the blank before covering with epoxy. It's definately easier than trying to write on the blank. Unfortunately the edges of the label are very visible on the matt blank. I should've put some clear gloss on first I guess.

Tony

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 12:23AM

My Alps MD1000 prints in white. I use the waterslide decal paper from Decal Connection. I tried inkjets and Avery labels; couldn't ever see anything on the decal on a dark blank-only on a white background would it show up. Never could get that "opaque" look out of the Avery's on a blank, either, but read a post recently where someone figured out how to do it.
So I bought the Alps...but mostly use metallic silver and gold from it.

Putter

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 01:43AM

Kevin For a pen I use a quill pen . Then I use art acilic art pant thined down to flow off the quill nib. I prep. the blank, by lightly scuffing the blank with a gray Scotch Brite scuff pad. I scuff only where I am going to write. I let it set for about 15 minutes. then I put on one thin coat of C/P going in one direction horizonally only. Just one swipe no back and forth direction. Let set and then put a finish coat on
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 04:16AM

I have used rub -on letters with nice results. The leters come on a clear plastic sheet and all you do is rub the back side which transfers the letters to the rod. I got them at OfficeMax or Office Depot.

Rich

Posted by: Larry Voltz (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:12AM

Kevin,

I've struggles with this on the last rod I built. Couldn't get the gel pen to not smear. I ended up trying a technique my son had used for a writing class he had in college. He took a small branch - maple I think, about the size of a pencil. He took a knife and sharpened the point so it was super fine. I then dipped the very tip of the point in testors model paint (same color I used for marbelizing the blank) and wrote the person's name on it. I thought the results were good - the recipient was very happy. it does take a little practice and works similar to the quill pen. If nothing else, something else that makes the project a "one of a kind". Good Luck!

Larry

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:28AM

One of the best instruments to use to hand inscribe a blank is a Rapidograph technical pen and india ink. These pens can be found with very fine points. If you use gel ink, you must allow them to dry completely...either over a 24 hour period or with the aid of a hair dryer. When applying CP to gel inks do it quickly, lightly, and in one direction. I try to 'lightly' brush over the top of the gel ink in only one swipe. After the CP has dried you can come back with a more liberal coat without worry of the gel smearing.

I'm intrigued about the Alps printer Randy spoke about for his decals. Is there a web site that I could view one of these? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Jay

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas32.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:36AM

I write directly on the blank using a DecoColor or Sakura brand paint pen.They are available from some of the sponsors (Netcraft).You can also get them at Michaels hobby stores.Make sure you get the extra fine point.I've used gold and silver.
I've used them on both matte and gloss finish blanks.The only prep I do is to wipe the area first with alcohol.Another suggestion is to have your trim bands in place before writing,that way you don't smudge your inscription.If you don't like the way it turns out you just wipe it clean with some alcohol and try again.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:37AM

I write directly on the blank using a DecoColor or Sakura brand paint pen.They are available from some of the sponsors (Netcraft).You can also get them at Michaels hobby stores.Make sure you get the extra fine point.I've used gold and silver.
I've used them on both matte and gloss finish blanks.The only prep I do is to wipe the area first with alcohol.Another suggestion is to have your trim bands in place before writing,that way you don't smudge your inscription.If you don't like the way it turns out you just wipe it clean with some alcohol and try again.

Date: January 15, 2005 10:37AM

Date: January 15, 2005 10:39AM

Date: January 15, 2005 10:43AM

Sorry for the duplicate posts.I kept getting an error when trying to post and didn't realize it was going through.Joel

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 11:05AM

Tony,

If you are going to use Avery lables and an ink jet, you will have to apply your label over white thread and print out your label with white lettering on a background to match the blanks color.

Regards

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 15, 2005 02:25PM

Another option when using standard mailing lables. Simply use a white lable, print it in color with the letter being white. You can apply this directly to the blank w/o winding thread under it first. Jay

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2005 10:47PM

Save yourself a lot of time/money. Have Jimi at Decal Connection whip it up to your specs for 2 or 3 bucks. You can even write it out, scan it and have him make a great waterslide with you handwriting on it\

You can't go wrong! Great stuff

Mike

Posted by: Ed Carr (---.msn.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 12:01AM

I bought a couple pens from the hobby section at Wal Mart gold and silver. I scuff blank where I want to write I set up rod between pieces of wood so its like writing on a flat surface. I then put about 5 pieces of masking tape one on top of the other keeping edges even, take stack and stick to blank to use as a straight edge after you write a line pull tape off wipe edge of any wet ink and use again. If I screw up I pull tape off and wipe letter off with alcohol then restick tape and continue. I let dry about 45 min. then apply epox. it has worked so far. ED...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster