I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to find the spine
Posted by: warren mcconnaughie (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 23, 2004 03:40PM

How do i find the spine in a beach rod ,the blank i have bought is a conoflex ballistic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to find the spine
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: October 23, 2004 04:01PM

If it's a one piece blank it's pretty easy, put the butt on the floor, put the tip in the upward palm of one hand and press down on the blank with your other downward palm. Roll the blank around till you feel a definite point where the blank shows resistance from moving any other place. You've found the spline. Mark that spot on a band of masking tape you've put on the blank in a convenient spot and check to ensure that it comes back to that spot again on another test, if it does, your done. Two piece or more blanks your test each piece, than the pieces together to get the best result.
All the best to you and yours.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.24.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 04:14PM

Check the FAQs page for a method on how to find the spine. Spencer gave you a good method, although this is sometimes hard to put into words. Look for the place where the blank "locks" in and doesn't want to move away from that place. The point where it offers the least amount of resistance. The outside of that bend is the effective spine.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 23, 2004 04:17PM

Hi Warren
The butt of these rods doesnt flex much,to find the spine on the butt you cannot really find the spine the same way as you will the top.

On the butt at the very bottom look at the wall of the blank.the thickest part is where the wrap of carbon around the mandrel was finnished - and there you have it the spine.

On the top ,you need to put the last couple of inches of the tip in the palm of your hand-now with a little pressure from the other hand put a slight curve into the blank at the same time rolling the blank one direction,thus finding with a slight bump/lumpy movement the spine.

A Quick IF

if you are using the rod with a multiplier then if you put the rings on the opposite side of the spine and you will find the tip a little stiffer.If you are putting the rings on for a fixed spool then its a good idea to have them on the spine
If you want a straight rod then put the rings on the straightest line of the blank,I have found that there is not alot of differance whichever way you do it.

Hope i havnt board you,but you did ask!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.24.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 04:27PM

The stiffest axis is usually in line with the straightest axis. The softest axis is somewhat off from there. The stiffest and softest axis' are almost never opposite each other.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 23, 2004 04:49PM

Hi Tom
Thats what I tried to say,however I have built e few conoflex/ carrol mcmanus blanks and to this day will never forget the guy who came into the shop to ask how he would find the spine on his dural(Aluminium ) butt.of his conoflex dc6
Thought that might brighten things up

Bryan

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 09:36PM

Though I have a bearing-type spine finder on my bench I still do alot of them by hand (no flames please) by holding my two index fingers out and some distance apart. On a 7' blank I place the blank over my LH index finger, about 30" (more or less) from the tip, and press down on the tip with my RH index finger until the butt end of the rod comes off the floor. The idea is to let the blank roll freely any which way it wants to go. With the rod held like this use your left thumb to slightly roll the blank around a bit, and you will feel a definite spot where the blank wants to rest. This spot is the spine of the blank. Away from this spot and the blank becomes slightly stiffer.

Lou

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 23, 2004 11:25PM

That doesn't find the spine, it finds the natural curve on the blank. The blank will always roll there due to its own weight. But that won't be the spine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster