I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru-oil for cork
Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 04:57PM

Testing it out....
Anyone who does this I would apprecite some observations. Will this stuff make the handle slippery when wet? I would hate to drop my first one in the drink. The cork is a fairly good grade. apply with coffee filter? how many coat do you use? buff? etc...
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru-oil for cork
Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: October 01, 2004 05:29PM

It makes the cork much darker. Not slippery though. I am going to try a light stain with a polyurethane finish to see what color I get.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.149.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 05:30PM

One or two coats will bring out the grain in burl and will seal regular cork. It will not make your grip slippery. I normally brush it on, although I rarely put anything on my cork unless I'm using burl.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 05:46PM

Sense cork is dense you really do not get much penetration. You might try burnishing the stain in to the cork. I have had good luck with wrapping a pre made cork handle in a wet rag and put it in the microwave wave and nuke it for about1 min. By doing this it opens the cork so you can get a deeper sealer or stain penetration. Then I burnish it to a hight or satin gloss. I have never had a problem with getting a sticky handle
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 07:51PM

I use Tru-oil on all my Burl! It's great! Depending on the number of coats, you can get a gloss, matte or anything in between. Really brings out the grain and it is NOT slippery when wet

Mike

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 08:37PM

I've been doing the smaller handles on ultra light rods with several coats of Tru-oil to a high gloss finish by hand rubbing with my fingers. I have done a couple of my personal rods the same way. They do not get slippery and seem to repel dirt and grime very well, the grips are still glossy even after almost a whole fishing season up here in the Northeast.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 08:39PM

The way I chose to do it was to apply it with a glove, I don't like chemicals on my skin. Learned a lot in Organic Chem. while in college! I let it dry for at least 2 hours, then lightly buff it with 0000 steel wool, then wipe with a cotton cloth and reapply. I do this 2 -5 times, with the last coat being air dried for 24 hours before I buff it with the cloth. I have found that less desireable cork looks much better when coated with Tru Oil. With a few coats, it will have some shine if buffed, looks a bit like wood. Cork I would normally toss out looks a lot nicer with this technique. I use it on my "bang around rods". I find that if you do not recover the bottle quickly, it degrades the prodcut. I take some out via a small hole I push through the foil cover, then put the top on, and do this as many times as I need to cover the grip. I get mine via one of my firearms wholesalers so I tend to buy the larger bottle. I share it with my gun stocks too, same technique, same beautiful results.
Ray

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 09:16PM

I too took organic chemistry but it was a long long time ago and I did not learn too much. The business I was in had good access to benzene, acetone and MEK. I washed my complete arms up to my elbows for over twenty years two times a day in one of the above solvents- really had clean arms. I have outlasted the 30 year OSHA limit for overexposure to this type of stuff - no skin cancer - and really have no problems spreading True Oil with my fingers! For all you young builders wanting to live a long life heed the advice of the above posters and show the chemicals a lot of respect where necessarry. I have not seen the MSDS Sheets for True Oil but the people who sell it are required to have the sheets in their possesion. Someone should post the MSDS sheets on the board for MEK and Acetone - sure would settle a lot of questions.

LSU and Georgia tomorrow afternoon - which thread color will it be next week - purple and gold or red and white. The Dog decals from Jimi really are gross looking to a Tiger fan!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Greg Tucker (---.rrd.com)
Date: October 01, 2004 09:41PM

Bob...when you say burnish, is this the same as buffing? If not what do you use?
Thanks for the great replies!

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 09:59PM

I'm with Raymond , 0000 steel wool after a few coats , and a day to dry. Takes off the bright shine . Looks classy
John

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 11:41PM

The times I've use Tru Oil and Tung Oil, I've had excellent results. I've done a lot of gun stock work and have long since switched to Laurel Mountain Permalyn. I've found it to be far more durable and protective than the oils, yet it works, feels and looks exactly the same, if not working easier. It's the only thing I will put on a gun stock, so why not a rod grip?

The only times I use oil now is when I run out of Permalyn. The only place that stocks it with any fair amount of consistency is Brownells but even they are out of stock on occasion.

For Bill and anybody else interested, here are links to the MSDS for Tru oil and Acetone. And I also have used nothing but my fingers applying finish.

[www.birchwoodcasey.com]

[www.bu.edu]

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.187.40.162.ip.alltel.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 11:53PM

I think Ralph O' Quinn bathes in Acetone...and he's like 81 and could probably whip most of our butts. In fact given the opportunity he probably would!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.228.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 02, 2004 09:59AM

That's for sure Andy ---- 81 ??!! Wow

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: October 03, 2004 03:27AM

Try buffing with a coffee filter. No tiny bits of wire all over. Ralph

Posted by: Rick Keefer (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2004 05:12PM

So Mick, lets take the Permalyn topic a little futher. I saw there is Sealer and Finish listed on the Brownells web site. Do you use the sealer first then the finish or just one or the other ?? Which one do you use ?? How many coats and what prep work do you use between coats if you use more than one ?? About, how far would 4 oz go ?? Thanks,

Rick

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: October 04, 2004 05:34PM

Rick,
I started out using the sealer, but found that thinning the finish with mineral spirits worked just as well. Basically, that's all the sealer is, a thinned version. I do it on hard wood, but I've found that on softer wood and on cork, the sealer isn't required. A quick coat of finish is all you need, giving it a good day to soak in and dry.

Again, it is the same as working with tung or Tru-oil. You can use one or two thin coats for a protective matte finish, or put on as many as 6 for a high gloss look, which you can then buff down to semi-gloss if you like that look. On cork, I use 3, sometimes 4 coats. A light sanding between coats gives a better result, but if you don't have dust or anything on the last layer, which you'll be able to feel, just put another coat on.

I've gotten up to 6 rifle stocks in the past with a 4 oz. can without being stingy, so that comes out to roughly a whole bunch of grips. Going by how much I use on a cork grip to get it how I like it, I would imagine something like 40 grips or more, easily enough.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---)
Date: June 05, 2021 12:29PM

To report cork with tru oil, should I sand first then recoat?

Date: June 05, 2021 12:30PM

Date: June 05, 2021 12:31PM

Date: June 05, 2021 01:04PM

sorry about the my ? Coming out that many times. I did not know it came out 3 times. Till I looked at it. I meant to say " to recoat..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster