I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marks on the Dan Craft rods
Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2004 10:06AM

So now that we have determined that the Dan Craft multi-piece rods come with the spine marked, what do the marks signify? Is that the line you put the guides on or is it the other side?

This is turning out to be a nightmare. Making multi piece rods is a pain in the rear. Due to the confusion I have come to a screaching halt. The grip (I did Rattan over cork) and butt wrap have been done for sometime now all I seem to be doing is spinning my wheels...HELP.

Spencer Bass

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marks on the Dan Craft rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.170.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 10:34AM

Please read the FAQs page. There is no right or wrong axis to put the guides on. Some people put them on the spine, some go opposite, some put them on the blank's stiffest axis, others put them on the straightest axis. You're confusing yourself for no reason. The FAQs page has enough on rod spine to set things right for you.

Date: June 20, 2004 10:38AM

Tom:

I have read all of that and what I am confused about is what the marks define. Is it marking the top or bottom of the spine?

Spencer

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.170.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 10:51AM

The spine is not a thing. It's a property referenced by a mark. Normally, when you pressure a blank and allow it to spin and come to rest in the position it desires, you put your reference mark on the outside of that pressured curve. I can only assume that Dan marks his blanks in this fashion, but you could check with him just to make sure. I'm sure he'll answer an email from you as soon as he can.

In the FAQs page you may have noticed the Q&A on the 3 most often used spine positions. The situations there would all reference this mark as being on the outside of the pressured curve.

So with the blank pressured and allowed to spin to the most relaxed position (not where it jumps or kicks) the ouside of that position is referred to as the "effective spine." Keep that position in mind. Then, when Dan lets you know what his mark represent you can properly reference that position. But I'd bet he puts the mark on the outside of the curve when the blank is pressured and allowed to come to rest.

Date: June 20, 2004 11:29AM

Thank You Tom.

Spencer

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 03:12PM

Spencer. I put my guides on the marked side (fly rod). You mention that multi-piece blanks are a pain. Why so? You join them for wrapping. The hardest part is adjusting the guides so that there is one on every female ferrule. But even this is an indirect advantage, because you already know where 1 guide will be located on each section of blank. I also love rattan grips. Did you spiral on an accent thread? I have used scarlet and gold. Try to have fun!

Date: June 20, 2004 04:06PM

Boy you have opened up a can of worms. I have never heard of putting a guide on the ferrule, I have just wrapped it for strength.

As for the grip I put a blue thread between each band and it did nicely to just accent each band of rattan.

Spencer

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.clec.atlnga.commercial.madisonriver.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:16PM

Once again I don't understand. Why would anybody want rattan on a grip. It would seem to me that the combination of fish slime, scales and everything else you have to contend with would make it so slippery you could not hold on to it. Is this a freshwatrer flyfishing thing? John Butterffield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.208.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:19PM

Stress on the rod reaches a peak directly between any pair of guides, the exact mid point being where the greatest stress occurs. This is why it is sometimes preferrable to have a guide located directly on top of a ferrule.

However, provided you do not overly skimp on the number of guides used, it's not absolutely necessary to locate a guide on the ferrule.

Posted by: Nathan Sundsmo (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 20, 2004 08:17PM

I have, based on Dans advice, always put the the guides on the side of the rod he has marked. If you have questions email or call Dan. He is always glad to help.
Nate

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 02:11AM

John. You must try rattan! With cork looking increasingly ratty these days, the rattan really looks great. Because of the ridges, your grip is as good as cork. Varnish over the entire grip, so the surface is slick. Very retro. As to salt, I would use EVA or wood grip.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.clec.nworla.commercial.madisonriver.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 02:21PM

Don, I like cork over AVA in the salt because it is porous. Cork will soak up some of what gets on it and AVA just gets slippery. I really don't care how bad the cork looks. If you saw some of my well fished rods this would be obvious. I wash off my rods after fishing but not everything comes off. I also put hooks into the cork and that make them look even worse. I hate to admit this but it is true. John Butterfield

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster