I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Denatured alcohol
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 05:07PM

I use isopropyl"rubbing" alcohol 91% for rod building purposes. Try an "art gum" eraser, the soft almost crumbly kind, to gently rub off the adhesive from labels. It usually works, even on matte finishes. If not, then try Go-Gone or whatever. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 05:29PM

Make sure you do not use "Denatured Alcohol Solvent" when cleaning glue off blanks or any other thinner as far as that goes. I have had several calls from consumers in the past ten years complaining that there finish is comming off there blanks when they clean them. They bought by mistake Denatured Alchol Solvent instead of Denatured Alcohol.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 08:40PM

I would like to meet wilh Ralph O'Quinn, Cliff Hall, Mark Blomme, Bill (Nitro methane) Stevens, and any other professional chemist, in High Point, to combine our efforts to publish an article in Rodmaker Magizine on the SAFE handling proceedures of organic solvents. So many post have been on this site that I fear someone is going to get hurt by misshandleing these things. If nothing else post the MSDS's on these materials. I have seen so many post on the wrong way to use these things that I fear someone is going to get hurt.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: November 01, 2006 10:43PM

Anyone can get MSDS's for chemicals online at this web site

Hope this helps

[hazard.com]

Regards

Scott

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 02, 2006 03:14AM

Chris Karp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have used WD-40 to remove the gummy stuff, but
> would not even suggest it around threadwork, or a
> rod building work area that might be contaminated,
> seeing as Gum-out was mentioned I will intordues
> it.

WD 40 is mostly kerosene, a little of oil and some “secret ingredient”, your usually better off with straight kero to avoid the oil. A good way of removing label adhesive is to grab it using some adhesive tape, sound funny I know but it often works well where as solvent often just spreads it around more.

Regards Charlie

Posted by: Gary Richmond (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 11:21AM

Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2006 10:57PM

Ed,

We've already run that article.

Posted by: Grant King (---.stcd.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 05:28PM

I grew up in a body shop so chemicals were common place. Nothing like sticking my nose in a laquer thinner can right before I say "dad whats this?" Sniff, Sniff. Ohhhh, never mind. I know we are talking about safety here but this is the method I use for removing things from sticker glue to tar to overspray paint. I start with the weekest things first. Water, Water and soap, windex (touch of amonia) alcohol, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, gasoline, (tar remover) prep sol), laquer thinner, then acetone. A person should also consider what is being cleaned off as well. If its glass, nothing I have mentioned will hurt it. fiberglass or graphite, I wouldnt move beyond prepsol. Plastic, lots of elbow grease. You never know exactly how it will react. Once you have wrecked a few things you will learn what will and what will not work. Lets call it lifes lessons. Many people dont know the answer so you have to find out for yourself. The second thing I always say is "assume everything is flamable". That way theres no problems later when your eyebrows are missing and you say to yourself. $#IT ! I didnt know that was flammable. Good luck, G

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:59PM

If memory serves me correctly, denaturants added to ethanol are very bad tasting compounds that cannot be tolerated by humans (makes them very nauseated, tasts awful or some other reason a person couldn't get it down or keep it down). Denaturant is required by law such that the denatured ethanol will not be used as an intoxicating beverage -- and thus, carries a lower tax rate and is sold for non-food or drinking purposes. Methanol may be added for other chemical property reasons, but I don't believe it is considered a denaturing agent (people can and do drink methanol, and enough methanol can cause blindness and other illnesses).

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol diluted with water.

Tony Mortimer

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster