I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread size
Posted by: Chris Means (---.hu.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:03PM

What size thread for a single wrap? I know I've heard it a hundred times but I just need to hear it once more?

Thanks

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread size
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:06PM

A or if you're using the polyesters such as Madeira, #40

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave May (---.sanfordschool.org)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:08PM

"A"

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:25PM

Sz Tripple ZZZ Anchor Line/Thread

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:35PM

A if you want a really tight looking product

B is good too

C/D/E if you have bad eyes

Everything will work and hold the guides just fine. Strength is not an issue. And even the larger threads can look highly professional if you pack it well. Kinda "its up to you" thing. I prefer Plain thread to use on any thread that shows a lot but I also use plenty of CP. JUST a personal prefference. Good Luck.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 03:05PM

Addition to James' factual post: if the single wrap is on a **repair**, it may not be ecomical to remove each and every last molecule of older resin.
It does not compute to spend inordinate amounts of life-force in return for the (usually) small fee a repair nets....compared to a pristine new wrap on a new blank..
There may be slight humps, or imperfections remaining. Then, the thicker threads work very well, as they can be burnished and packed in, to mask the less-than-stellar section of the rod. Especially with no colour preserver, using dark threads, on a dark rod. The wraps want to "melt" into a nice job, where any imperfections are masked.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 01, 2006 04:44PM

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: [Sat July 16, 2005]
Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E"
For general reference, a Table of TENSILE STRENGTHS,
Calculated WRAP STRENGTHS and Calculated WRAP WEIGHTS
of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E,
for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming
a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of
circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available
at: [www.rodbuilding.org]
Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.
-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA*****
OVER 1,725 VIEWS as of 2006-NOV-1st.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2006 04:42PM by Moderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster