I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trolling rod
Posted by: ron flynn (---.o1.jps.net)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:00PM

i got a buddy of mine who has asked me to build two 6'6" med action glass trolling rods 1/8 to 1/2 oz lure wt 8 to 20 lb test line he doesn't have a lot of money to spend on the blanks any recomendations would help should i use a spinning or casting reel seat he's going to use lead core line at times what type of guides would be best use on these rods? would alconite guides with a sic top work should i use underwraps on the guides? if you guys can't tell these are my first trolling rods i'm goin to build LOL

thanks r flynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trolling rod
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:34PM

Usually trollling rods aren't rated by lure weights. Usually by line weight only. I have been hearing that AMTAK makes some very suitable blanks for this and have been wanted to try them. Very inexpensive and yet good value is what I am told. There was something on this farther down the board this week.

I'd stick with either SIC or Hardloy. I don't think the alconites come in frames that are beefy enough for this type rod.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:16AM

I agree with William on the rod . You said your friend does not have a lot of money so go with Hardloy guide Sic guides are a little spendy
Bob

Posted by: Greg Rodrigues (192.223.226.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 09:28AM

The Forecast imported blanks could be a fit for you. They are very inexpensive. I have build several trolling styles with the Stuart Tuff Butt Sleeve and the final product was very nice.

There are some 6'6" models and 7' which can be trimmed from the butt to get the desired length.

Greg
[www.ReelsAndEels.com]

Posted by: Tom Wolfe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 10:34AM

I have built some trolling rods on Amtak blanks, & have no complaints! They also have some guides that can be used on these rods to fit your needs that come in under the cost of some of the guides mentioned above. A 20lb. class rod would not be too expexsive at all!
If you want more info, contact me.

Tom
www.customrodbuilders.com
Last Cast link on the left will also work.

Posted by: zan leach (---.ppp.mpinet.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 08:06PM

www.mudhole.com they have a specials section with great mark downs they are usually where i start looking, right now they have some shakesphere blanks that would fit your bill and billfold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster