I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reelseats and cork grips
Posted by: Rocky Lohman (204.26.75.---)
Date: January 09, 2002 02:02PM

I am in the process of building a casting rod and have been wondering if the rear grip cork is suppoesd to be fitted into the rear of the reel seat (if so, how far?) and does the foregrip butt up to the reel seat or does it have to fit over the reel seat a little bit? I can't find any info on this. Thanks for any help, this is a great site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reelseats and cork grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 03:07PM

No, it does not have to. Most grips just butt up against the seat. Some preformed grips have shoulders that extend under the seat and/or butt cap, but they are not absolutely necessary. Nothing wrong with those that are, but again, not necessary.

I cannot recall ever building a rod where my butt or foregrip was shouldered to fit the reel seat.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 06:00PM

There are preformed cork grips that you can buy that are recessed (if that is the word) on both ends - one for the but cap and one for the reel seat. The ones I have used are made to fit the Fugi trigger seats and I usually use #16's. If you use one of these, be sure to get the seat and butt cap to fit. Some preformed grips come with the shoulder only for the butt cap. And as Tom says just butt the seat up against the grip.

Posted by: Rocky Lohman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 11:07PM

Thanks, that saves a lot of time!

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 09, 2002 11:24PM

The St. Croix custom casting hadle kits contain preformed cork that have a shoulder to recess into the reel seat. Makes for a flush type transition and clean, quick finish. Basically a foolproof fit when the shoulder is in to the raised portion. One thing to remember is to allow enough leeway at the end of the arbors for the cork to go inside the butt of the reel seat.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster