I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning while finishing?
Posted by: j. devault (---.c4.sb4.mrt.starband.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 05:43PM

I'd like some advice on turning the rod on a motorized turner while applying LS Supreme. I've had mixed results getting an even coat, especially by the guide feet where the brush runs up and over. Would it be better to apply finish while hand turning then put it on the motor? Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning while finishing?
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: January 09, 2002 07:06PM

I made a foot switch for my drying motor using a plastic electrical box and a momentary switch from Lowe's hardware. Put the finish on with rod turning and stop it for touch-ups at guide feet, tunnels, and dry spots. A toggle switch is also mounted on the box to switch to continuous turning for drying. Total cost about $5.00.
Lynn

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 08:18PM

I apply and rotate the rod by hand, then once I am satisfied that everything is in place I will put the rod in my dryer-turner thingamabob. I keep an eye on it for the first hour though. Dust and bugs and dry areas can develop and if you catch them early enough you can fix them.

Posted by: Will Parham (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 12:38AM

I do exactly what mike does on the larger stuff with underwraps. On the small rods, where the wrap is say less than 1 cm or so, I apply while it is rotating.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 10, 2002 07:50AM

Lynn,
How did you make the connection between the momentary switch and
the toggle switch to be able to turn off and on for continuous running. Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2002 09:21AM

Just put the switches in parallel.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: January 10, 2002 12:17PM

I start with rod on dryer not rotating. Take a toothpick and apply finish around guidefoot area and a little down each side (used to always get a dry spot on the back side of the guidefoot while rotating). I then start the rotation. I apply a blob of finish to each wrap very quickly down the blank. This allows time for saturation and surprising amount of leveling. Then I go back to the first one and using a painters knife (pie server shaped) I place the portion of the knife that is the same width of the wrap flat on the surface, this will almost perfectly distribute and level the finish. On the first coat of finish, after threads are saturated, I try to scrap off as much finish as possible, you will be amazed at how "little" finish will cover the threads and level. Usually all that is left uncovered after that first application is the edges of the wraps and the slopes of the guide feet.
Basically, technique is developed on an individual basis. I have been building for 6 years and just recently feel "good" about my finish jobs. I almost gave up rodbuilding because I could wrap and inlay a beautiful rod, only to ruin it with a lumpy and wavy finish job. Be patient, find a technique you like and stick with it.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 04:14PM

Recently started using the 40 rpm motor from allelectronics put a push button switch in the line this motor can easily be turned in one direction by hand for touch up and close work

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster