I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Estimating resonance frequency
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.192.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2003 10:23AM

Emory,

That's true, but as we know, static measurements can tell you plenty about the dynamic characteristics of an item. I can calculate how much lift any particular airfoil will generate at any airspeed,and I can do it by static methods alone. The action is certainly dynamic, but I don't have to actually put it in a dynamic situation to tell you how it's going to work.

For most of what we do with a fishing rod, and need or prefer to know, our static measurements are more than sufficient. I won't argue that the addition of a relative scale based on resonant frequency would provide some extra information that many of us might find very helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Putvin (66.119.202.---)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:29PM

Question from the peanut gallery,

Would an items natural resonant frequency be different if measured A=From end of object, or B= From some fulcrum or pivot point along the same object? (As in location of reel seat on a rod) And if so how would this enter into the issue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.50.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:45PM

It would change yes, but just like in other systems, you'd have to a constant - a particular place to support the blank from, whether it be at the very end, or a percentage of the total blank. If you didn't, your results really wouldn't be relative in nature and much of the usefulness of any such system would go out the window.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.mdfrd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 02:02PM

Sing....You've got their attention my friend, excellent question !

Guys....Google Search the words : fly rod evaluation and calibration

Or : [home.att.net]

....Info from Cal Poly that will lead to many other links and lines of thought on this issue.

Fun reading for the inquireing mind !

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Sing-Choong Foo (---.socal.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 03:36AM

Emory,
At resonace frequency the rod deflects at the largest amplitude, and if you change your wiggling frequency while keeping the same strength, the deflection amplitude WILL decrease. Resonance freqeuncy is a driving frequency. If you're wiggling at a higher or a lower rate, you will feel like the rod does not like it! :) And you're right, I'm confining myself to wihtin the first harmonic range. Like I said, avoid the "node".

Bill,
Wow, 12 Hz, that's very fast!!!! I can' t count that fast! I haven't fished a non-fly rod for years. Remind md what they feel like. :)

And gang,like I mentioned in an earlier thread, while I understand the correlation of natural frequency to the material's mechanics, I don't agree that the natural frequency alone indicates the action, performance, or power of a rod. But it sure is fun to wiggle a rod!

... off to Vancouver for two days. Too bad it's not a fishing trip. I'll be suffering from withdrawal from reading this forum. :(

-Sing

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 11:16AM

Sing,
I agree completely with what you say about increasing the "wiggling frequency" and the deflection amplitude as long as you start your wiggling at a frequency below the resonance and then move up to the resonance. If you start your wiggling at a frequency above the resonance then the rod/blank will tend to resonate at the second harmonic.
When watching the typical person pick up a rod and wiggle it, most often they will wiggle it so that it is oscillating at a frequency above the resonance. Very often the tip will be moving in one direction while the center of the rod is going in the opposite direction or the second harmonic. I think that this is probably what you meant by "node".
By the way, I did not say that resonance frequency ALONE will tell you everything you want to know about a rod/blank. Obviously it will not. I think that the measurement of resonant frequency is best used in conjunction with the other static measurements. However, I think that I did say that it would tell you more than any other single measurement and that all of the characteristics of a rod/blank will affect or show up in the resonant frequency.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.SNVACAID.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 07, 2003 09:09PM

We should remind ourselves of the basic physics that we are all appealing to here, the mass-spring oscillator. There is a simple equation which relates the spring constant, the mass that is loading the spring, and the oscillation frequency. One thing it tells us is that if we keep the ratio of spring constant to mass the same, the frequency doesn't change. Said another way, if we up the mass load and the spring constant proportionally, the frequency doesn't change. So a 10 wt rod is noticably stiffer and heavier than a 5 wt rod of the same length, yet they can have the same frequency and thus require moves with about the same timing to cast them. This is likely as close as we can get to an objective measurement of the feel of a rod. We already measure spring constant in form of the CC measurement, which essentially is the spring constant scaled by the length of the rod. Combine that with resonant frequency and you really know a lot about a rod.

Now a rod is admittedly a more complex oscillator than a simple mass-spring system. Mass distribution and stiffness (spring constant) vary along its length. However by restricting attention to just what the tip is doing, I have found that a simple mass-spring model fits pretty well. I can go into details on the subject off-line if anyone cares to email me. The CC measurement makes essentially the same restriction of interest to what the tip does in respone to a static load, and any number of casting gurus will tell us that it's how the tip moves is what counts.

Mike

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 10:12AM

Mike,
I am in complete agreement with you. One could argue that when we measure the power of a rod we are measureing the spring constant.
However, normally when we measure spring constant we assume a linear relationship between the mass and the deflection and this is of course not the case with a rod/blank. To get around this variable the CC system deflects the blank/rod a fixed distance, 1/3 the length.

If you have done some work in this area I would be very interested in looking at what you have done. I have also done some work in this area and would like to exchange thoughts with you.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster