I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hypalon installation procedure
Posted by: Jim Colombo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:14PM

I searched this site for Hypalon grip installation and found one suggestion made in '01 from a fellow named Steve that suggested putting the Hypalon in boiling water for 10-15 min. I tried to email him but he must have moved. Has anyone tried this method and did it work? I have about 30" to push the Hypalon and I sure would like to find the easiest way to do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypalon installation procedure
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:20PM

Go to the FAQs page and learn how to do it easily. The method there is gauranteed to get the job done and it's easy.

I think this site has so much information that it's hard to take it all in.

Posted by: Skeet Bennett (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:05PM

Ken Preston has a video on his web site showing the installation of a hypalon grip. Tom Kirkman's book also has a good explanation in it.

Posted by: Coach B agby (---.82.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:58PM

Did you not get a reply from me?

Posted by: Lock Eastland (---.wa.westnet.com.au)
Date: December 06, 2003 10:07AM

I know of a small book called step by step rod building by flex coat . It has instructions in that how to apply foam grips by useing hot water. Personaly though you cant go past the FAQs page but I hope this info helps anyway.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2003 10:09AM

Hypalon goes on the same way as other foam grips. If it gets a little tight use a push board to help get the grip on. A push board make real easy to slide on difficult grips.

Slide grip on as much as you can, insert blank with partially installed grip into hole ( a hole through a sturdy fence, a wall, or a board held in a vice), push on the butt end of rod with 2-3' piece of 2x4 (allows you to use you body weight to bear down). Be careful you dont push to far or the grip winds up sliding off the butt end!

I have tried the warming them, they do soften, but then you have a soft mushy grip to work with. Tried using pressurized air as suggested in one of Clemen's book. The easiest way I found was to use the push board wirth plenty of epoxy.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster