I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodmaker article
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2024 08:50PM

In the most recent Rodmaker, there was an article about using Perma Gloss to prevent cracking on the ends of the guide feet. My question is this: Is the Perma Gloss being applied to the entire wrap, or just the areas at the end of the guide feet?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodmaker article
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 01, 2024 07:31AM

I have not done this, but it seems logical to me that since you cannot use CP to make this process effective, then you have to coat the whole wrap with PG. Otherwise you would end up with a two toned wrap.

I personally have never noticed cracking at the end of the guide foot and use CP on almost all my rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2024 08:43AM

It's applied to the entire wrap prior to the epoxy being applied.

Date: May 01, 2024 06:43PM

Michael,

If you don't mind me asking, is there a brand of CP that you prefer?

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 02, 2024 05:49AM

I have used Flex Coat for many years. It's a white water based CP, so it should be mixed/shaken before use to distribute the solids, as I understand it and always do. I put it on liberally, making sure the tunnels take all they want with capillary action, go clean the brush, then come back in a couple minutes and dab excess off with a paper towel. The dabbing makes sure there are no surviving bubbles, too. One coat applied this way seems to do it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2024 08:13AM

Ralph used to say to stir it rather than shake, in order to keep bubbles to a minimum. It can be hard to stir through the neck of the small bottles, of course.

Posted by: david taylor (76.25.22.---)
Date: May 04, 2024 02:19AM

Yes, stir, shake or mix it in one manner or another. As Mick indicated, apply liberally and after a few minutes take off any excess. I have even used a second coat to ensure full effect.

I have come to not like CP or its application, so have been using Fuji thread with the CP embedded. I think it wraps a tad more difficultly than NonCP thread, but really looks good with a a Gen4 thread epoxy.

Date: May 04, 2024 10:32PM

Thanks, Michael. I've got three CP's in my shop: Flex Coat, U-40, and Al's ColorRite. Used Flex Coat for many years on nearly everything. I've found Al's to do the best job of actually keeping the original color as the Flex Coat and U-40 will darken the thread slightly. I had a problem a few months ago with guides pulling out of the thread on a couple of steelhead rods I built for a customer. I was using Al's on those. I told him to bring the rods over and I completely re-wrapped both rods. I was shocked that there was absolutely no thread penetration to the blank; it was completely clean. The guides that pulled (first time in my career that's happened) were Fuji KT's and even one KB. Originally I had used Fuji UltraPoly with the Al's CP. When I re-wrapped I used Fuji NOCP without any CP and didn't have any more issues (black thread). I fully understand the concept of filling the tunnels, but there aren't really any tunnels on those little guides. As it stands right now I've moved over to more of the NOCP thread like David because I'm sort of gun shy about having a repeat performance like I had with the steelhead rods, but I'm going to give CP another shot on something less critical using your methods. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---)
Date: May 05, 2024 08:35AM

The Flex Coat and U40 CPs are the same product according to what Ralph told us at a seminar many years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster