I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tip Top Glue Question?
Posted by: Marcus McCleery (---.nwlnmn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: February 13, 2024 10:30AM

Many, many years ago when Cabela's got out of selling roadbuilding components I bought 30 or so Tip glue tubes. You know the red lipstick looking deals. Pop cover off heat and put cover back on.
Now, everything for sale looks like a glue stick for craft guns. Are they the same compound or make up? Can I use a glue stick or do I need to buy specific tip glue??
Thanks - Between giving away and using I thought I'd never run out!
Marcus

Marcus McCleery

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Glue Question?
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 10:51AM

I'm no expert, but I think I read they are not the same.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 10:59AM

Fuji AG1C World Hot Melt Glue Red

Enter that line into the search bar on that place that has the smile face on their delivery trucks. $1.84 per tube.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:07AM

I have noticed the difference im quality between different brands. Using the hot melt glue stick from Fuji seems to be the better quality than the cheaper ones I have. It takes more heat to melt this one, and it cures (cools) harder and stronger. This is what I would use.

I think craft hot glue sticks could also work, but it would be better to use the higher quality brands capable of higher melting point and stronger adhesion.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:07AM

If the tubes of hot melt you bought came in red tubes, those are most likely Fuji brand.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:12AM

I mostly use the flex coat hot melt tip-top cement. CRB also has a hot melt tip-top cement and so does Fuji. The Fuji tip-top cement comes in a red lipstick type of tube, it may be the stuff you got from Cabelas. These are all made for installing tip-tops and work fine. Have to be careful with the stuff you get in hobby stores, some melt at lower temperatures and are not suitable. Use the hot melt cements that are known to work for installing tip tops.
Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (2.59.157.---)
Date: February 13, 2024 11:18AM

Marcus,
Craft store glue sticks melt at much lower temps than hot melt sticks designed for tip tops.

Stick with the stuff designed for the purpose at hand.
Herb
CTS

Date: February 13, 2024 11:27AM

Thanks So much everyone! Especially David Baylor!! Just ordered 4 (max) from that cut-n-paste!! I'm anal in that I like things with a container!! This glue reminds me of my sister's candy choices. She would often get a lip stick type sour candy that came in a tube like this! I was born in the mid 60's Tell me we didn't have the best dime store candy!!
Back to topic - makes sense about the melting point! Don't want the sun to de-tip any rods!!
Thanks again!

Marcus McCleery

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: February 13, 2024 01:37PM

The ones in the red tubes seem softer (when cooled down) than the typical stick. They both seem to work fine. I carry the red one in the boat for emergencies.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 04:12PM

Each manufacturer has their formulation, I would stick to the brands that are endorsed by the rod manufacturer and crafters.

I use epoxy and never worry about the integrity of the bond.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: February 13, 2024 04:17PM

The stuff that archers use for assembling arrows is a safe bet. Any archery and some hunting stores will have it on hand.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 13, 2024 07:33PM

[shop.bohning.com] [flexcoat.com] Roger's way is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 07:34PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: February 14, 2024 10:13AM

Thanks So much everyone! Especially David Baylor!! Just ordered 4 (max) from that cut-n-paste!! I'm anal in that I like things with a container!! This glue reminds me of my sister's candy choices. She would often get a lip stick type sour candy that came in a tube like this! I was born in the mid 60's Tell me we didn't have the best dime store candy!!
Back to topic - makes sense about the melting point! Don't want the sun to de-tip any rods!!
Thanks again!

Marcus McCleery

Think I did it wrong the first time? - This will get to you David! - Thanks!

Marcus McCleery

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2024 05:28PM

Marcus, you're more than welcome. Glad I could help!

Posted by: phil sweeney (---)
Date: April 03, 2024 06:42PM

I use 10 minute epoxy or superglue gel in a pinch. No matter what you use it all comes off with heat. Even Clemens recommended epoxy back in the day. During the build, I usually take it on and off with glue sticks.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 06:16AM

I have had some epoxied-on tip-tops that did not readily come off with heat. It was a real crap shoot as to whether I would get them off without sacrificing the last 1/2 inch of the blank. I'm sticking with hot melt that is designed for rod-building. Have had no trouble with them coming off in the tropics. One can get a little more assurance by just extending the wrap epoxy up onto the tube of the tip-top when finishing the tip-top wrap.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: April 04, 2024 11:10PM

phil sweeney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Even Clemens recommended epoxy back in the day.
> During the build, I usually take it on and off
> with glue sticks.

Clemens mentioned the "standby for installing tip-top was a daub of thermoplastic ferrule cement" (aka hot-melt glue).
He goes on to mention that heating a ceramic guide would melt or weaken the plastic shock ring...and he would rather use 5 minute epoxy.

To be honest...I dont think I ever melted a shock ring on a tip top.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2024 06:32AM

What is a tiptop shock ring?

Posted by: phil sweeney (---)
Date: April 05, 2024 08:15AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> What is a tiptop shock ring?
If you have Clemens’ Adanced custom rod building, He discusses guide construction on page 201. Maybe someone else will comment but it looks to me like most of the guides nowadays do not have shock rings.
I was going to post a picture of our an old guide that has a shock ring, but I don’t know how to do it.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: April 05, 2024 09:07AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> What is a tiptop shock ring?

Have you ever seen the old fuji guides that glowed in the dark?
That material was plastic and was also called a shock ring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 11:46AM by Chris Catignani.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster