I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tip Top Glue Question?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2024 09:41AM

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: phil sweeney (---)
Date: April 05, 2024 10:41AM

Almost the exact same guide I think that I wanted to post. I have to see if it glows in the dark!

Posted by: phil sweeney (172.56.222.---)
Date: April 05, 2024 01:09PM

It does

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 05, 2024 02:32PM

The early ceramic guide rings got a bad reputation for easily cracking or chipping with normal handling A plastic ring was developed to be a insulator (buffer) between the ceramic ring and the guide frame to minimize damage from rough handling or bumping.

At that time the marketeers took advantage of this and called it a "shock" ring and promoted it as a new innovated feature.

Today's ceramics are tougher and more durable than their predecessors, manufacturing processes improved and other reasons caused the shock ring fall by the way side.

That is my worms eye view.

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2024 05:03PM

I remember the shock ring on guides, now. Memory refreshed. I guess I didn't realize they were used on tiptops, but it makes sense. thanks again.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: April 06, 2024 03:09AM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> phil sweeney Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Even Clemens recommended epoxy back in the day.
> > During the build, I usually take it on and off
> > with glue sticks.
>
> Clemens mentioned the "standby for installing
> tip-top was a daub of thermoplastic ferrule
> cement" (aka hot-melt glue).
> He goes on to mention that heating a ceramic guide
> would melt or weaken the plastic shock ring...and
> he would rather use 5 minute epoxy.
>
> To be honest...I dont think I ever melted a shock
> ring on a tip top.

Dale thought out his processes, I am sure new technology is in the market to offset the thinking. I still am a big believer in how Dale thinks in building, forms a great foundation.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: April 06, 2024 07:06AM

Chris Rosell Wrote:
> I still am a big believer in how Dale thinks in building, forms a great foundation.

Dale Clemons attributes most of his knowledge to past builders and shared publications.
In his forward to Advanced Rod Building he says, "None of us is naive enough to think that he necessarily invented the technique or was the first rod builder to ever use it."

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: April 08, 2024 02:05PM

I like to use the carbon arrow Ferr-L-Tite glue sticks, prefer the high temp [shop.bohning.com] .

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 08, 2024 04:46PM

Mark B

Thanks for the link, many years ago I was given a small block of that stuff and I used it on a lot of tips, it works great had no issues with it. I think it is one step above the average hot melt.

It has been a while since I have used it because I now prefer to use epoxy, it is an easier process for me.

Have fun

John

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster