I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Inletting Tool
Posted by: Jake Littrell (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 14, 2024 08:12PM

My understanding is the crafty cutter is no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion for another inletting tool for hidden thread hoods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inletting Tool
Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: January 14, 2024 08:49PM

I saw that Mudhole came out with their version, but it’s already back ordered. I use a drill press, but it’s tricky lining everything up.

Posted by: Al purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2024 09:45PM

I’ve spent a lot of time trying different ways to inlet. My favorite way THUS far is shaping my grips on a mandrel and then using a modified hole saw for the inlet. I learned the method from herb L. (He will probably chime in on this post) and also had help from the guy at pelagos fly rods.

Basically, you’ll need three hole saws, one that you will chuck in your drill and run at high rpm’s against course sand paper filing it down to the desired size. I had a whole lot of trash cork from my learning how to do grips to experiment on to get the hole to be the perfect snug fit I desired. I may have had a caliper to aid in measuring the hole saw size at the time but I can’t remember if I used it or not. I use a lot of alps reels seats and the three I use require the same size hole circumference and depth. I measured from the tip of the teeth and marked the desired depth with a sharpie and did this all around the hole saw, leaving little dots to help get me a straight line to then mark with duck tape. The tape serves as a marker to know where to not go pass.

I’m jumping ahead to the final touch here for a second, but sometimes out of caution, I’ll not go quite deep enough in the cork on purpose and use a spare alps reel seat hood I have laying around and lay it face down on the back of some sandpaper, trace a circle on the sandpaper and cut it out with a razor blade. I’ll then glue the sandpaper to the reel seat hood and arbor up a shaft to stick in the hood and I can fine tune the depth of the recess that way.

It may seem like overkill but before I started building rods, I had a few high end oem rods come loose where the grip is recessed so it’s a thing I’m afraid of happening on my own rods. No one wants squeaky cork right where they may be hold a rod.

The other two hole saws you don’t file/grind down. Get one a couple sizes smaller than the modified hole saw, and then one a couple sizes smaller than that. There will be a remaining “stump” of cork you will need to get rid of after your initial hole. Mark both those hole saws to the desired depth as you did initially and drill them out. Once it’s small enough, the remaining cork stump will break away.

I don’t prefer to shape cork on the blank so I always shape my grips first on the mandrel then do my recess as the final point. Ever since doing my grips this way they have always been concentric. I’m sure other builders may do different things and those may be better to you but I’ve had much success with this method that herb taught me and sort of modified a few little things. Maybe down the road I’ll do it differently. If you have any confusion reach out and I can try and talk over the phone with you because sometimes it’s hard to type out everything and get the point across.

Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2024 09:49PM by Al purvis.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: January 15, 2024 12:21PM

Reverse cutting spade bit. Easy and accurate.

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: January 15, 2024 02:11PM

Wow. I never even thought about using the reverse drill bit. Maybe that's why the crafty cutter got discontinued - there were simpler ways just under our noses!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2024 02:47PM

Mike left something out that is worth mentioning. In fact the upcoming magazine issue has a short article on using the reverse spade bit for inletting cork grips. Remember you will be running the bit shank through the grip and pulling the rear of the cutting bit into the rear of the grip. Since the rear of a spade bit is tapered from the widest portion to the bit shank you will have to bore deeper than the depth of the seat hood. This will leave a somewhat large opening in the cork ID which won't be supported by the rod blank. The easy way to get that support is to allow your gel epoxy to gather on the downside (bore end) of the grip which will fill that void and provide the necessary support.

Posted by: Jake Littrell (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2024 01:02AM

Thanks for the info

Posted by: Jake Littrell (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2024 01:02AM

Thanks for the info

Posted by: Harry Sandoval (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2024 08:52AM

How does this method stack up against the competition?

[youtu.be]

I need to inlet some cork and am planning on trying out this method; I’ll report back my results later this afternoon unless I can come up with a better way this morning…

Harry

Date: January 17, 2024 09:25AM

That method works fine as well, but you have to add that ring to your grip and then shape it a bit. If you're not willing to do that work then the reverse spade bit allows you to obtain the same thing without having to any grip or ring shaping.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.151.---)
Date: January 17, 2024 11:31AM

Al Purvis has it correct.

The MODIFIED HOLE SAW has it over all others - neat amd concentric.
I use REC RSLL seats.'Their Hood OD is 0.933"
So I bought a 15/16" hole saw. The saw 's teeth are of the cross-cut variety.
So I simplly files down the outer teeth until I arrived at the proper hole diameter.
Then I use three smaller hole saws to get rid of the interior cork.
After reaming I am left with a wafer thin piece that I break off.
Really the neatest results. Other tooks shread the cork.
Herb

PS - helps if you replace the piolet drill bit with a 0.25" plain steel or aluminum rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 12:35PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.151.---)
Date: January 17, 2024 11:32AM

Al Purvis has it correct.

The MODIFIED HOLE SAW has it over all others - neat amd concentric.
I use REC RSLL seats. Their Hood OD is 0.933"
So I bought a 15/16" hole saw. The saw 's teeth are of the cross-cut variety.
So I simply file down the outer teeth until I arrived at the proper hole diameter.
Then I use three smaller hole saws to get rid of the interior cork.
After reaming I am left with a wafer-thin piece that I break off.
Really the neatest results. Other tools shred the cork.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 12:01AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Date: January 17, 2024 11:57AM

The reverse pilot bit leaves a nice smooth cut. Using the proper RPM on the drill makes all the difference in the world.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2024 12:05PM

Speaking from experience with a Crafty Cutter - make sure your drill/lathe has the proper speed (3500+ RPMs) The higher the speed, the cleaner the hole... I found out the hard way my cheap Harbor Freight cordless drill was NOT the appropriate tool!

Date: January 22, 2024 11:34PM

If you want to use a drill bit, I have found that the Forster bit cuts the cleanest hole (at least it does for me).

Date: January 23, 2024 10:20AM

We do have an inletting tool coming out! It’s slated for April. Here’s more info and you can click “email when available” on the page to be the first to know when it’s here!

[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 23, 2024 01:05PM

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: January 23, 2024 01:16PM

Could these methods also.be used to create custom thread hood covers for the Fuji kdps, etc...?

I find the shorter cork offerings for the kdps 16 to be lacking.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (2.59.157.---)
Date: January 23, 2024 04:29PM

Have you all thought of the fact that most recommended tools above do not match your requirements to port for your reel seat hood's O.D. without altering the cutting blade?
And - as said - unless you are using super hi RPM's - the cork will shread.
Herb

Date: January 23, 2024 06:43PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you all thought of the fact that most
> recommended tools above do not match your
> requirements to port for your reel seat hood's
> O.D. without altering the cutting blade?
> And - as said - unless you are using super hi
> RPM's - the cork will shread.
> Herb

I’m starting to realize that when I started looking after the reverse bit tip.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster