I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closed wrap question....
Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2023 01:15PM

I want to try my first closed wrap and am trying to figure out the amount of threads i need for which colors and to successfully close the wrap.
I have the visual wrap software which is good for visualizing the wrap but does not account for thread size or count as I would imagine some of you know.

Is there a calculation that people use to figure this out or do I just have to spend all the time on this, cut and restart if i fail miserably?

I will use either fuji A or D thread on an inshore blank with the butt end diameter of 11 and tip end diameter of 9.7
Pros and cons to either A or D?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closed wrap question....
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2023 01:18PM

Just keep wrapping until you have the wrap closed in. You won't "fail" miserably. You will have to pack a bit more towards the top end of the wrap and burnish and spread a bit more towards the butt end of the wrap. Some will use Taper Offset Spacing for more precision but honestly unless there is a very steep taper along your wrap length I've not found it necessary.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: December 20, 2023 11:29AM

If you don't have it, I recommend Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona. It goes into the details on how to calculate things - along with many other helpful details on doing a closed wrap. I look at VisualWrap and DecorativeWraps as going hand-in-hand

VisualWrap will give you the details you need for tapered spacing, which you should use for a closed wrap to help things close out evenly. Be VERY meticulous with your layout threads to the spacing and pack to the spacing marks.

As to calcul;ating the space needed for the close - Size A, and Maderia is about 4.1 threads per mm. Most doing closed decorative wraps are using A as it looks better, and with all the crosspoints in a closed wrap is going to allow you to pack it easier - in fact this is a benefit of Maderia threads - the silicone in the thread helps it slide a bit - but you MUST use mutliple coats of color preserver to seal the thread (and the silicone) so it does not affect your epoxy.

Michael Ward
Back Creek Custom Rods

E-mail - backcreekcustomrods@gmail.com
Phone - (336) 437-4114
Web: www.backcreekcustomrods/coloredguides.html

"Life's too short to fish a boring rod"

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: December 20, 2023 06:26PM

IF a customer wants a wrap and a closed wrap at that I look at the particular blank. On a shorter blank with lots of taper I will use a TOS layout. If the blank is something like a 11 or 12 foot surf rod I do not bother. The area in front of the seat and foregrip will have so little taper you can just manipulate the thread in there. Don't make things hard on yourself, its not rocket science.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: December 21, 2023 09:02AM

What is a closed wrap?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2023 09:30AM

A closed wrap is made by continuing to wrap threads until there is no underlying blank or under wrap showing in-between the main center pattern threads.

Posted by: Francis Santangelo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2023 07:25PM

Worked off of he plan I had in visual wrap. Had o add a few to fully close bu not much. Happy with how it came out thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster