I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stainless guides
Posted by: Monty Cornwell (---.md.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 05:32PM

I am making a spinning rod for someone that is asking for stainless one piece guides with no inserted ring. He is referring to the guides used on the Ugly Sticks. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stainless guides
Posted by: Mark Stevens (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 05:59PM

American Tackle Vortes and TI Forged both come ringless stainless.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.dsl.rtmc.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 06:55PM

Seaguide also has some stainless ring options. Haven't laid eyes on these but planning to order some here soon. Several options depending upon what you are looking for...

[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: November 26, 2023 07:03PM

Utmost has them

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: November 27, 2023 11:20AM

I see this often coming from catfish anglers and striped bass anglers who are used to using Ugly Sticks or some of the Chinese container rods being marketed by numerous companies to the catfish community, trying to say their ceramic-less all stainless guides are better than ones with ceramics.

The issue is the comparison is to very cheap guides and its no wonder the ceramics break/fall out. Quality guides offered to the custom rod building community are a lot more robust than what I've seen in production big box rods - at least if you stay off the bottom price point guides. Also, the stainless guides used on a lot of those catfish rods are not the best quality and weld points break.

I guess what I'm saying is its worth doing some education to your customer on the quality points and options - and just because the catfish cult favorite rod of the week has these "all stainless" guides, does not mean its the best choice for them.

That said - if that's really what they want, there are quality options available to you - typically called "boat rod guides" - ie. in the Batson world it would be the Forecast HC/HCB (unbraced and braced) guides - stainless with hard chrome coating.

Posted by: Monty Cornwell (---.md.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 27, 2023 12:18PM

I 100% agree. Having a one piece guide with no insert to "fall out" is a marketing tactic by Ugly Stick. My hope is to make a quality rod with guides the customer wants while at the same time educating him on the quality of higher end guides. Maybe the next one he will be willing to try something else.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Monty

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 27, 2023 03:56PM

Michael, that was excellent advice. Well done !!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (208.52.7.---)
Date: November 28, 2023 11:10AM

If you watch the videos they always throw a big DF guide on the scale, the reason? When you throw the SF little guides on the difference matters much less, the smaller the guides the more you have to use on the scale during the test to get a reliable difference, than you have to do the math to get your real difference. When that happens in my book there is no real difference. When using micros you may need a sample set of twenty guide to get a relible, repeatable value.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 03, 2023 10:04AM

For the typical non frequent fisherman, these is nothing wrong at all using stainless guides.

But, since much of the force on a guide during casting and catching fish - is on the tip top, a good compromise is to use stainless guides with a ceramic tip top of the material of your choice.

Best wishes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 03, 2023 10:17AM

For the typical non frequent fisherman, these is nothing wrong at all using stainless guides.

But, since much of the force on a guide during casting and catching fish - is on the tip top, a good compromise is to use stainless guides with a ceramic tip top of the material of your choice.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.111.---)
Date: December 03, 2023 11:21AM

I am with Roger I really don't think the guide ring material matters that much but the tip does and I believe a ceramic tip top will function better. A quality guide also matters, you don't want it to get a little stressed and have it break due to poor quality welds or construction. I would imagine that Ugly Sick got a lot of returned rods with cheap low quality ceramic guides that failed or the insert fell out and now they are using it in their add campaign.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 03, 2023 04:45PM

The SSR guides by CRB and the Pac Bay Minima 4 guides have a double swagged stainless steel ring, I doubt if any fishing event could dislodge them, the only way the ring will fall out is if the frame breaks.

The tip does the most work and sees the most force, for that reason I always recommend a tip with a stainless frame and a quality ceramic ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2023 04:50PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 03, 2023 07:55PM

We have a limited supply of early USA made "Carboloy" ring tip tops and guides.
These have quality all stainless welded frames.
They will be listed on our "Hot Specials" page soon.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster