I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Niagara River Bottom Bouncing Blank
Posted by: Nick McCasey (---)
Date: November 14, 2023 09:46AM

All,

I'm looking for suggestions on a blank for bottom bouncing while drifting the Niagara River. These will be built for my dad and his cousin, and they can't be any longer than 7' to fit in the rod locker.

The rig they use is typically a 3 way rig with 1-2 oz pencil weight and a trailing kwikfish or egg sac. Typically they'll be catching brown trout, steelhead, or smallmouth bass, but there is the chance to run into salmon.

They originally asked about just matching a standard 7' MH fast action bass rod, but after talking with them a bit about why I thought a more moderate action would be better for this purpose, they agreed.

I'm currently leaning towards something like a 7' MH inshore popping rod (something like the Rainshadow Revolution or Immortal) for this purpose but want to make sure I'm not way off base. If people have other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Niagara River Bottom Bouncing Blank
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 16, 2023 09:15AM

In my experience the Rainshadow popping rods are much less powerful than their "bass" rods at the same power. I have an immortal 7' heavy popping blank and it has less than 600 grams of power (sorry I don't remember the exact number). I do agree that a more moderate blank makes sense for that application. Maybe one of their crankbait blanks would be more appropriate?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2023 10:30AM

I have no experience with popping blanks, but from what I understand is that they make excellent crankbait blanks because of their more moderate or moderate fast actions. Peter saying that the Rainshadow popping rods are much less powerful than bass rods of the same named power, applies to crainkbait blanks for bass as well. They aren't as powerful when compared to an MB or SJ blank.

If you're thinking you may want more power than a popping blank can provide, but still want that moderate to moderate fast action, you may want to look at a lighter powered flipping blank. NFC might have something you'd be interested in, in their flipping blanks.

And as far as the crankbait blank suggestion that Peter made. The Judge crainkbait blanks from Rainshadow may be a blank you want to consider. Looking at the Rodbuilding.org CCS data base, it lists the 7' MH Judge crankbait blank as having an IP of 573 grams. That sounds like it would be close to the 7' heavy power popping blank Peter mentioned. There is a heavy power Judge crankbait blank that probably has more power than the MH, but I can't be sure. There isn't a listing for the heavy power in the data base.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 16, 2023 12:07PM

Myself I would go two piece like the NFC HS 7600-2, 2piece. Since it works so well on plugs (designed for it), Lindy rigging, and I have caught chinook salmon to 25 lbs. on one in the Columbia River, walleye fishing a worm rig. I accidentally caught 2 Spring Chinook on the Willamette River while shad fishing, the 13-15 lb. footballs were hooked on a #8 Siwash hook attached to a #1 Dick Nite trout spoon.

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---)
Date: November 17, 2023 06:19AM

Peter and David,

Thank you for the feedback on the popping and crankbait blanks. I'm ignorant when it comes to popping blanks and honestly thought they'd be more powerful than similarly rated bass blanks, so I'll have to give that some more thought.

Spencer,

I was hoping you'd have a thought since I think you do some similar fishing on the west coast. If I was building this for myself, I'd definitely be looking at a multi piece longer rod, but they want the convenience of a one piece that they don't have to break down to fit in their rod locker. Definitely means I won't be able to give them the absolute best tool for the fishing, but I'm going to do the best I can.

Do any of guys have any thoughts on some of the multi-material blanks out there? I'm thinking of something like NFC's NEO or delta blanks?

Posted by: Brad Arcara (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2024 03:30PM

I have been fishing the lower Niagara my whole life. You want a rod that has a lot of play, especially for steelhead. The NFC-ST904 is a perfect rod. It is a little sporty fighting a big King with this rod, but served me fine in Alaska fishing ocean run Kings and will be fine in the Niagara. The ST905 would be a little better match for Kings, but would be a bit of overkill for Steelhead and Browns. I picked up the C6O2 933 which has very similar stats to the 904 and I am excited to build on that and see how it is. Only thing with NFC is that you have no idea on lead time. They have very high quality rods at great prices, but lead time is always a big unknown. I have cancelled one rod order (from edge Rods, which are finished as opposed to blanks) because of how far past their stated lead time and have been waiting on carbon fiber handles for 10 months now. I still recommend their rods, but call and ask if they have what you want in stock. If not in stock realize the lead time can be excessive.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 04, 2024 09:08AM

You want a rod that has a lot of play,

What is "play?"

Posted by: Brad Arcara (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2024 10:17AM

Sorry for being general but it is hard to quantify given the variation in ratings for action. The NFC ST-905 is rated as a fast action rod however the lower half of the rod still gets a bit of a bend to it, just not nearly as soft as the top section. When I say a lot of "play" I mean a rod where you are fighting "playing" the fish with the rod much more than the drag. This is especially critical for steelhead which can require 8# and even at times 6# leader in clear waters and fight quite energetically. Here you need a soft enough rod to protect the light line against a strong and spunky fighting fish. I understand that there are other ways to measure the flex of a rod than just the action but I am not at that point in building yet. Just trying to share my experience for this application as a fisherman since a 7 foot rod can be a little short in the river given the preference toward around 8' leaders when drifting eggs.

I also see that someone recommended the NFC HS 7600-2. I have the one piece version of this rod that I build for trolling stick baits in shallow for post spawn walleye. I absolutely love it for this application as the stiff backbone helps pull the lure farter from the boat than most rods I have used. I wouldn't doubt for a second that this rod could handle Kings and Steelhead/Browns. But for me I would not use it in the Niagara. I don't feel like the 7600 is enough rod to keep a fish out of the main current. Another factor is that I think it would be quite a bit more challenging to land a fish on a 7 foot rod if you are using up to 8' leaders. I have toyed with the idea that a HS rod could be a nice option when drifting with plugs (Kwikfish or Mag Lips). When pulling plugs you are only using a 4-6' leader and since you have more pull from the lure the extra stiffness in the lower portion is nice. However I would want a rod with more power than the 7600 and a little longer. The HS 821 looks like a great candidate but I wish I could have it in my hands first as a 10-20# line rating and 4oune max lure rating seems like it could be too much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster