I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: BFS build
Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: November 15, 2023 09:38PM

I’m a fan of NFC’s soft touch grips, I haven’t used any cork or EVA after using my first set.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 16, 2023 01:29AM

I’ve been building and using BFS rods since the beginning of eShopping made it possible to bring in the reels in from Japan. I don’t think there was even this term and acronym back then. Here are a few thoughts. I find that the action angles at the lower end of the “fast action” rod range work really well. The lighter lures cast better when the rod loads amply but still rebounds quickly. Along with this concept is picking blanks that are light enough to load well with reduced lure weights. A 703 is heavier than my BFS builds. The parameters I build them for max out at 1/4 ounce lures on 8lb fluorocarbon.

There are still many more BFS reels available from the non-USA Warranted Asian vendors. If you find a reel that really works for you, I recommend buying extra wear parts and keeping it in service for as long as you can. I’ve got one that is going on 20 years old that casts crazy well for me. I also own its current generation equivalent. It’s a very good reel, but it’s not yet working quite as well as the original. I’ve experimented with a variety of braided lines and find dig-in with these tiny diameters to be universally problematic.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 17, 2023 08:53PM

Just concurring with the comments about a bit more moderate action. The light to medlight CB blanks hit my sweet spot for inshore. I also enjoy glass or combo blanks. Especially in small streams. My first “bfs” rod was a Falcon Ultimate trout rod, which I loved. Either the reels got a lot better or just my disposable income did. I really like the Diawa Silver Wolf for all around use and the Gek for smaller streams.

Posted by: Nick Maiers (---)
Date: November 18, 2023 07:06AM

Thank you Patrick

Date: November 18, 2023 07:13AM

Kendall that all makes complete sense i’m just now starting to get into the JDM market for reels i’m primarily at bass fisherman that does kayak tournaments for largemouth and smallmouth my fun fishing there’s river fishing for smallmouth bottom bouncing or jerk bait crank bait what blank would you recommend for just starting out getting into BFS

Date: November 18, 2023 07:14AM

Tim the diawa Silverwolf has been on my radar for a while

Date: November 18, 2023 02:03PM

The Silver Wolf will be my next reel purchase as I’m interested in its line lay system configured for braid. I’m using Sufix 131 with really good success on an Alphas SV TW in the weight class slightly heavier than finesse. The Wolf with 131 might get me all the way down to finesse with braid.

I’m a big fan of the St. Croix/Rod Geeks SCV/C5 series, but the SCIV/C4 series works a little better overall for me in finesse rods. The C470MLF and C466MLF models are slightly less fast with their 4.5 tips than the 4.0 tipped C5 counterparts. Saving about 50% of the cost and only gaining .1 ounce is pretty nice, too. I’ve got two rods built on the first generation SCIV material that go back about 17 years. The new generation are very sophisticated blanks for under $100.

The RX10 Eternity ETES68ML-SS is a very nice finesse blank, as well. My build on this blank is probably where the Silver Wolf will first land as the Curado 70 sitting on it doesn’t cast 1/4 ounce lures with some wind resistance as well as a couple of the Daiwa reels I own. The following Batson company video covers this blank at pretty good depth at the 16:00 mark. I didn’t see the length and weight range I prefer in the NFC line. Maybe they will do a C6O2 in this range before long.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 18, 2023 04:22PM

NFC did come out with a bfs blank that I’m interested in
I love my jdm slx xt 70 but I have yet to cast anything really light with it

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: November 19, 2023 05:45PM

I don’t know how to post pictures on here. If you have an email or way to dm I can send videos or pics on the P700 X-ray. Great blank and I use it exclusively for sight fishing slot reds on the FL gulf coast. Great blank.

Date: November 20, 2023 09:41PM

I went down to 6lb varvivas braid on the Gek, but didn’t care for it. Much like using the sub 2 gram lures, you really have to pay attention. 8/10 suffix has been my go to. The different line lay on the Wolf is a bit overhyped, imho, but it is a great reel.
On reels, the Curado is a great reel for the money. I also used a roro spool in a Zillion and it is very nice. I imagine if you have otherBass reels, you could give that a shot.
On rod actions, a clarification. I don’t mind fast rods in the ultralight rods as they still have plenty of flex. The NFC P700 is a great example. And if throwing hair jigs on 1/32-1/16 jig heads, that is what I grab. I will also mention that the lightest APFG is also very nice for this. Then as I step up, The CB in a 2/3 power that can still cast a combined max of 4.4grams 1/16 jig and zman trd are great for sight casting reds in shallow water. The rods will toss a bit heavier nicely if you don’t power cast.
Ill order a P702 in my next round. I have a couple SJ803 and a bunch of fly rods to finish first.

Good luck with your build

Date: November 22, 2023 12:44PM

I figured I should document my claim from above. I built this in about 2005. It's functioned very well catching many smallmouths and walleyes. It is on an SCIV Legend blank (SCIV66LF), which was state of the art. For some reason the integrity of the thread finish on the hoop keeper looks compromised in the photo. That's not the case. The AT micro-click reel seat no longer works, so I need to replace.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 12:45PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: November 22, 2023 02:00PM

Thanks, that was/ is a great blank. My wife’s favorite spinner for trout.

I always struggled finding blanks that would load easily and yet have junk in the trunk for redfish

Date: November 22, 2023 06:05PM

Tim Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, that was/ is a great blank. My wife’s
> favorite spinner for trout.
>
> I always struggled finding blanks that would load
> easily and yet have junk in the trunk for redfish

If my memory is correct, the SCIV, brown-colored Legend Elite blanks were the first to feature both Integrated Poly Curve (IPC) and Advanced Reinforcing Technology (ART). I can verify with a search that they had both, but couldn’t confirm which series had it first. A lot of experience, time, and testing went into these tapers. I lived in Duluth then and traveled over to Park Falls a few times to take the tour and buy blanks. There is a noticeable difference in the balanced performance elements you mentioned between nicely designed and refined blanks and the commodity level of stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2023 06:13PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: December 10, 2023 10:52AM

P700 build

Posted by: eric popejoy (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2024 04:53PM

Robert, Have you had a chance to fish the IS 703 xray? I am looking at the IS 693 but I haven't seen much on these blanks in my searches. I mainly throw 1/8 oz jig heads with a soft plastic to slot reds on shallow grass/sand flats so no need to really put a lot of pressure on the fish other than to release them before they wear out. If you don't mind sharing your thoughts on the rod I would appreciate it.

thanks- eric

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: January 12, 2024 06:34PM

Nice build Robert! A stealth bomber!

Date: January 12, 2024 08:08PM

Eric,

I have quite a few trips and plenty of reds and trout with the IS703. I use it primarily for light lure sight fishing on the flats like you’ve mentioned, Neds, buggs, jigs and small Texas rigs 1/8 up to 1/4. I’ve also been throwing MR 17s on it in the creeks lately. It’s a great rod if you trend towards light tackle inshore and honestly one of my favorite builds to date.

Date: January 12, 2024 08:16PM

Thanks Michael! I just built a second P700 with a spiral wrap. The one in the picture was my very first build and admittedly not the cleanest cosmetic wise. Thanks to places like this forum I’ve learned a ton and made strides when it comes to aesthetics and finish, but it still fishes great!

Posted by: Merrick Jones (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 09:27PM

Robert Henry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> P700 build

What rod guides did you end up using? I’m building on that same blank and I’m at a loss as to what guides to choose…

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 17, 2024 11:13PM

I'm building the P700 right now and went with a Fuji RV6 butt guide and then Fuji Alconite size 4 kb and kts.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster