I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
BFS build
Posted by: Nick Maiers (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 12:08PM

I’m still pretty new to rod building and this forum but I’m head over heels for rod building I just got done with my first build a rainshadow immortal 6’10” m xf spinning set up. Now I’m thinking of building a bfs rod as well for smallmouth river fishing and large mouth as well I’m considering the nfc SJ 703-1(X-Ray LMX) but I’m completely open to other options for blanks and components. I still haven’t made my mind up about grips real seat or even the guy yet I wanted to start at the blank and go from there. I have been partial to the carbon fiber grips so far but I’m thinking Fuji for the real seat and guides to make an ultralight set up. I’ve liked rod building so much. I’m getting ready to start selling some of my other store-bought, high and rods to fund my addiction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BFS build
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2023 02:57PM

The 703-1 is a very good blank and if you want to go a little lighter look at the 702-1. The lightest grip material you will find is natural cork, carbon fiber grips are heavier. The lightest real seat and grip set up I have found is a split seat like a Fuji SK2 without a foregrip and natural cork split reel seat grip and a natural cork and burle butt. These are casting rods that I cut the blank down to 6'9". I use Shimano Core 50 or Aldebaran. The Curados also work well for them, just not as light. If you build it without a bunch of bling and use micro guides you can get down to 2.5-2.75 oz with the split cork or EVA. The one in this picture with a little bling like a tiger wrap came out to 3.1 oz.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Nick Maiers (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 03:08PM

Beautiful work ! I will definitely check out the 702 and the sk2 I haven’t been a huge fan of cork after it gets dirty but it makes sense I was think of cutting it down to 6’9” I’m stil trying to learn the nfc rods it can definitely be overwhelming

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 09:55PM

The nfc xray p700 was specifically developed as a true BFS blank. It is light/ultralight power (IP 115 i think). I have one of these waiting to be built.

I also recently completed an nfc xray sb683. CCS data has this rod around the Light/ML threshold (IP 258) and it's great at throwing bfs hardbaits like the Shimano Macbeth 39, Megabass Karashi, and Rapala Ultra Light Pop.

Which specific techniques are you building for?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 11, 2023 10:10PM

I guess if you buy the reel, anything you put it on becomes a BFS?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 12, 2023 08:43AM

A friend recently built this into a BFS and likes it: Rainshadow IMMWS72ML-TC
Shad Raps / Lindy Rigging / Jigs / Slip Bobbers

7'2" 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 1 0.422 4.0 Fast 1.6oz. ML

On sale at Get Bit now.

You want a fairly light power for the BFS light lures. So that it loads well on the cast.

Date: November 12, 2023 04:42PM

You pretty much nailed it with all of the JDM smaller BFS lures wanna give it a shot for winter, smallmouth , fishing

Date: November 12, 2023 04:45PM

I just built the 6’10” version of that rod for a spinning rod. Not sure what guide train I want to use a Honda like the NFC, soft, touch carbon grips.

Date: November 12, 2023 06:09PM

I built the sb683 with Fuji ecsm reel seat, cork split grip, a Fuji rv6 butt guide, 4 Fuji alconite kb 5 and 5 kt 5 running guides and a size 5.5 tip top. You could certainly go smaller on the guide sizes, though, and honestly probably would if I built it again.

My total rod weight was under 3oz.

Date: November 12, 2023 06:16PM

I have to take a look at that real seat I haven’t been a huge fan of cork grips, but I also haven’t built a rod with nice cork yet either

Date: November 12, 2023 07:24PM

The ecsm is a blank-thru reel seat. I used fuji cork grips and they're great. If you seal with U40 cork sealer, it'll really help repel dirt and keep it from cracking and degrading long term.

I forgot to mention that I added a kdps thread hood and trimmed it with a blue accent carbon fiber matagi cover and matching blue trim ring (and winding check).

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 13, 2023 04:39PM

NFC has some really sharp, nice, carbon fiber grip components. I just don't think there is anything nicer or lighter. If there is, it will be by an insignificant amount, IMO. The ESCM seat has an angle to the grip/seat arrangement. If you don't want that, the ACSM is straight, also is sized for the blank so no insert is needed. It's my fav. The gunmetal hood is really sharp.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 13, 2023 05:26PM

The P700 is a nice blank. The cB702 is also a good bfs blank. I like the added power of the 2/3 for inshore light lures. I haven’t tries the P702. I do like the P703

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: November 14, 2023 06:24PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just built a P 700 Xray for inshore BFS, mated to a Curado BFS. It's been a great rod so far and landed plenty of lower slot reds and speckled trout. Great sight fishing tool for light lures.

I also recently built a IS 703-1 Xray, wouldn't consider it a BFS rod, Mated to a Tranx 150, but also a great sight fishing rod. Be happy to share on my experience if desired.

Both both with AT G2 9" carbon casting grips, AT G2 E- seats and CRB LZR light duty casting guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2023 06:29PM by Robert Henry.

Date: November 14, 2023 06:40PM

I really like the blank through reel seat i’m just starting out, so I need to learn all these little details. I like the hood as well. I’m starting to think I need to go with a little bit lighter Rod than the 703.

Date: November 14, 2023 06:41PM

Patrick, beautiful Rod by the way thank you for sharing Robert I’d be interested in seeing those builds. They sound pretty sweet.

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: November 14, 2023 07:15PM

Once I learn to post pics I'll put some up...

Date: November 15, 2023 04:14AM

I’m in the same boat I’m still new to this

Date: November 15, 2023 06:07PM

Patrick, I’m still new to the game but I’m very interested in how you did the reel seat hood

Date: November 15, 2023 07:13PM

[youtu.be]

There's a link from Anglers Resource that walks through using the KDPS hood and it's various options from Fuji.

The exact trim materials I used are available through Voodoorods.com and are made by Matagi. Same process though:

[voodoorods.com]

[voodoorods.com]

[voodoorods.com]

More kdps options through voodoorods:
[voodoorods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2023 07:24PM by Patrick Coco.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster