I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: BFS build
Posted by: Robert Henry (57.140.108.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 01:29PM

Merrick,

My first build had CRB LZR guides, 8 for the stripper and 5's down the rod.

I've since built a few more with Fuji Ti Torzites and used a size 6 K series double foot for the stripper, 4.5 KBs for the spiral and 4.5 KTs for the rest of the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Merrick Jones (---)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:24PM

Robert,

Thanks for the reply! Do you have the guide spacing for those guides? Sorry I’ve never done a casting build before, I’m used to fly rod building so this is a little foreign to me. I did also order the XO skeleton casting seat, curious what your thoughts are on that? I think I saw your first build utilized that?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 18, 2024 09:00PM

Every freshwater baitcasting rod I’ve built for about three years has started with an RV6. I especially like them on BFS rods. I’ve got enough casts with various guides and have packed enough rods around to feel like these just work better and are very durable. My next build will be a Cagey Hook spiral wrap, though. While I’m happy using my tried and true formula, it really appears that Kent worked out something fairly revolutionary with this system. I’m not sure if the RV6’s high frame will be right for that until I get further into it. I’ll start that rod with the LRV if a lower guide is a better fit for the method.

Posted by: Robert Henry (57.140.28.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 11:11AM

Kendall,

I use a Titanium Torzite model KW size 6 double foot to start my all my casting builds now. I use that and I have done so with a Cagey Hook spiral on many rods. Works great, but I'm not sure how revolutionary it is over other spiral techniques. I like how it lengthens the spiral down the rod, but I cant tell the difference between them when I fish them, aside from looks. I also don't have years of spiral wraps under my belt.

Merrick,

I haven't built with the xo casting grip yet, But I will be soon. I used and American Tackle G2 full carbon handle as I prefer the feel of a full handle vs split grip. I'll send you some guide spacing, but depending on your spiral method and guide size it may shift a bit.

My advice would be to not over complicate it. If you take a normal casting rod layout/spacing and apply that with a spiral technique of your choice, you'll be 90% of the way there. Some small tweaks while static load testing will get your line path right.

Wrap one up and test cast it, that's what I do. If you have time you can wrap a few different ways on the rod and test cast and load before you epoxy and really find what you like, all you've sacrificed is thread and time...but not much of either.

It will fish great, regardless of what you call the method of layout.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 02:45PM

On my current p700 build I'm using this Justace "trout grip kit": [voodoorods.com]

I really dig the wood in the reel seat, and the pre-drilled 10mm hole requires minimal arboring to provide a tight fit on the p700 blank. Very pleased with how this is looking.

Worth noting that the cork on the grip and hood cover is very pale/light out of the box but takes on a much deeper/richer color that closes matches the wood of the seat when you apply U40.

I use U40 on all my cork but it usually don't make this significant of a color change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 02:51PM by Patrick Coco.

Posted by: Merrick Jones (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 09:32PM

I never thought to do a spiral wrap. I’ll have to look into that. Btw I just joined the site so I’m unsure how PMs work around here. Thank you for all of the info!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster