I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Permagloss
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 08, 2023 05:46PM

Hello Lynn.

So basically you are saying it is a watered down version (metaphorically) of Permagloss.

By the way I live just outside Havelock NC but it's an annex of New Bern NC, It's 18-20 miles from the beach and maybe a mile from the Nuese River.

Thanks for the info.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2023 06:23PM

Its chemistry not similar to PermaGloss. Humidity level can affect water based products in terms of drying time. PermaGloss cures (not dries) by exposure to moisture.

This does not make one better than another, just different.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2023 07:19PM

I’m almost certain that CPXtra is not a water based finish. I believe it is chemically similar to PermaGloss, and cures versus dries. PermaGloss, CPXtra, and LumiSeal appear to be similar polyurethane products just sold by different companies.
Maybe Casey at VooDoo Rods will chime in on what he knows about these products.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 08, 2023 07:26PM

It is a moisture curing urethane.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: October 08, 2023 07:56PM

I think CPXtra is or can be used as a color preserver. You cannot use Permagloss as a color preserver. Just an FYI.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: October 09, 2023 08:55AM

You can tell a lot about what kind of product you have by how it is packaged. A moisture curing urethane will be packed in a glass bottle. Other types of urethanes will come in tin cans or plastic bottles.

Date: October 09, 2023 11:01AM

All three of the finishes mentioned above are packaged in glass bottles.
Norm

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 11:59AM

Then all them have a strong chemical solvent in them. I do not believe Lumaseal is still made. Not sure.

Date: October 09, 2023 12:05PM

Mudhole bought RodDancer, so I’m not sure if LumiSeal, a RodDancer product, is still available.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 12:35PM

I came across a post by the UK distributor of CpXtra who stated that while it sometimes works as a CP, that is not it's original intent, and the results are inconsistent. It is my opinion that if one wants to be sure he isn't going to get splotchy wraps, using a dedicated CP makes the most sense. It sounds from her descriiption that a longer working time vs Permagloss was one of the objectives, and it was met quite well. I've never used it, just passing on statements by the distributor.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: October 09, 2023 01:13PM

CPXtra is a moisture curing urethane product very similar to Permagloss. The history of CPXtra seems to be a mystery & a bit confusing (even to us when we acquired the rights to the product), but this is what I was told by a few people who were around & involved in the rod building community when it was introduced years ago. CPXtra was offered & marketed as a "color preserver" product years ago (hence the name). While the product does have some color preserving properties on raw nylons & metallics, it did not work the same as a water based CP as it will not help much when used over some polyesters to eliminate fish eyes when silicone is present on threads. Through some experimenting, it did however work excellent as a tough, durable rod coating and is mainly how it it used by many rod builders today. It is also a great product to use as an initial flood coat on dark/black wraps or metallic wraps - especially raw nylons as mentioned before. When we originally acquired the product in the purchase of Bullard years ago, we decided at that time to keep the name so customers would know it was the same original product they were using & not a brand new product created by us after the acquisition (even though we understand how the name can be confusing to customers not familiar with CPXtra). We may give some thought to changing the name & marketing it for its now intended purpose - we just never really had to advertise over the years due to many repeat customers, so we never really put much effort in "pushing" the product. Hope this helps shed some light & please contact us if anyone needs more info.....Thanks/Casey VooDoo Rods

Date: October 09, 2023 01:23PM

Casey, thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated! It certainly confirms my thoughts on the product as being a moisture curing urethane. Hopefully more people will give it a try.
Norm

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 09, 2023 01:32PM

I see mentions of permagloss going off in the bottle. Does that means they have a limited shelf life and the unused portion can go bad?

Date: October 09, 2023 01:40PM

Thanks, Casey. Always good to get info from someone who really knows.

Permagloss will last a long time if properly sealed and refrigerated (fridge air is dry). I have some that I use now and then that is in fine shape after many years. I think they improved the package (cap seal) just before I bought mine and I keep the bottle in a plastic bag, the bag in the fridge, take a little out, back into the fridge it goes. This has worked for me.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2023 02:20PM

I do pretty much what Michael does with one main difference. I keep the bottle upside down. That way if it does start to cure in the bottle, it doesn't block the mouth of the bottle as I have had it do before.

I currently have a 4 oz bottle that has been half full in my refrigerator for almost 6 years. I just went and checked it, and it shows zero signs of curing, and still stinks just as bad as it did the day I first opened it. lol

Date: October 09, 2023 05:45PM

David, yup.

Date: October 09, 2023 06:39PM

Way to step up Casey!

Date: October 09, 2023 06:43PM

Ryan, read the last post on pg. 1

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 10, 2023 03:02PM

As I have said before, in addition to putting this one part finish in the small cans with a screw in the side at the bottom, i also have successfully drilled a hole in the plastic cap and installed a screw. Both ways eliminate air from getting inside because it is VAPOR PRESSURE that PUSHES the solution out so there is no need to store the bottle upside down in case it starts to harden from moisture in the air admitted when it was used, IT WAS NOT POURED OUT, rather it was PUSHED out.

Posted by: Thomas Bell (---)
Date: October 10, 2023 05:00PM

A question about CPXtra.
Upon using multiple coats, does it have a smooth finish?.
As I recall Permagloss would get an eggshell finish with like 4 coats to build up an epoxy like finish.
I used it a couple times but could never get it to last very long in the bottle.
Switched to Lumaseal and loved this product but no longer available.
Also used lumaseal as a coating on my jigs and saltwater plugs which it excelled.
Used the paint can method and it lasted for years unrefridgerated.
May have to give it a try!

TJB

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster