I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Permagloss
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 07:33AM

How would I go about using permagloss for rod finishing? The blanks are already painted and some old rods could use some refinishing. Do I clean them and apply directly, or is pre
sanding with fine grit sandpaper required? Does the rod needs to turning for application and/or drying? How many rods will a 1 ounce bottle coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2023 09:45AM

PermaGloss is a moisture curing urethane. It is best applied to a rod blank by "swiping" it on via sponge or similar that has been saturated with the product. A quick swipe down the rod, perhaps up and back or down, turn the blank 180 degrees and repeat, is all that is needed.

Because PG contains a very hot solvent, it is not advisable to put it over many other surface coatings such as paint. Test on a small area prior to attempting it on the full project. Tons of information on finishing with PG can be found in this forum's archives. Do a search and you'll likely find all you want to know.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2023 10:08AM

You can prep the blank by taking the shine off the blank with a fine grey Scotch brite pad or very fine steel wool. I find it easy and quick to wipe on the PermaGloss using gauze pad or a piece of coffee filter, they both work well and are lint free. When applying PermaGloss wear a pair of nitrile gloves. Basically, I pour some PermaGloss into a small container and saturate the applicator with it, then tightly hold and pull the applicator down the blank. This will squeegee the finish on giving a very thin and light coat. It only takes a few seconds to do it this way. The blank then can be propped up against the wall to cure, and you can recoat in less than an hour. Because the coat is so thin you don’t have to worry about it running. PermaGloss give a very thin, smooth, and durable finish that will never yellow.

It should be noted, I previously preferred using cosmetic foam pads but the brand I used was discontinued, and the new brands of pads I have tried fell apart when soaked in Permagloss.

Norm

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.195.59.---)
Date: October 05, 2023 11:06AM

Ryan
If you don't have one - get a good (MMM) respirator with filters rated for VAPOR - not DUST.
Also - I would do the job out of doors.
That stuff will fry your brain cell - and others in the house.
Herb

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 01:23PM

Permagloss appears to be sold out on sites like Mudhole. Where else can you buy them?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 05, 2023 02:04PM

While we are on the subject don't put any solvent on any of the matt finished use in the 90's from G Loomis, and others, even alcohol damages them, I have a GL3 rod that now looks like a IMX.

Date: October 05, 2023 03:23PM

Try the Rod Room or Utmost
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: October 06, 2023 08:11AM

Ryan Edamatsu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Permagloss appears to be sold out on sites like
> Mudhole. Where else can you buy them?

Try the manufacturer.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2023 10:24AM

CPXtra from Voodoo rods will give you the same results as PermaGloss and does'nt smell as strong and is always in a liquid state when you need it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-107.net)
Date: October 06, 2023 11:33AM

I am sure that CPXtra is a very good product and gives great results but it will not give the same results as a moisture curing urethane like Permagloss. No other rod finish out there is as tough, hard, flexible and clear as Permagloss. Yes Permagloss has a strong solvent odor and over time can set up in the bottle. There is a reason for that and it is the price you pay for the toughest, lightest and clearest finish on the market. It is more than worth the minor drawbacks IMO.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 06, 2023 09:42PM

Another vote for CPXtra.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: October 06, 2023 10:34PM

I’ll be enjoying the sweet Permagloss aroma tomorrow morning - just stripped down a 11.5’ one piece Lamaglass honey rod for a restoration and it’s ready now for coating

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 07, 2023 02:51PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sure that CPXtra is a very good product and
> gives great results but it will not give the same
> results as a moisture curing urethane like
> Permagloss. No other rod finish out there is as
> tough, hard, flexible and clear as Permagloss. Yes
> Permagloss has a strong solvent odor and over time
> can set up in the bottle. There is a reason for
> that and it is the price you pay for the toughest,
> lightest and clearest finish on the market. It is
> more than worth the minor drawbacks IMO.

I believe CPEXTRA is basically the same thing, a moisture curing urethane Single part liquid that gets the second part from air to cure.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2023 06:46PM

CPXtra is a good product. It is not, however, a moisture curing urethane. It is more user friendly than PermaGloss. PermaGloss is harder, longer wearing, etc. No single product offers the ultimate in everything. Pick the one that fits your priorities.

Both of these products are vastly superior to common epoxy for use as a blank coating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 06:48PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 08, 2023 10:21AM

Hello Tom.

I've never heard of this stuff (CPXtra), what are it's uses and what is it made of? (MSDS?).
Dry Time?
Sand between coats? with?
Application technique?
Hardening time in the bottle?
What can it be used on? (over paint, over rubber, over ink...).

Any answers would be appreciated, Thanks!!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Date: October 08, 2023 10:27AM

Check with VooDoo Rods about CPXtra.
[voodoorods.com]
Norm

Date: October 08, 2023 11:55AM

Hello Norman.

I read the Advertisement but it does not give me the answers I was looking for.

I am looking at the edges of what it is and what it can do or "be used for"- is it safe to use in all aspects (touching & breathing...).

I am trying to get the opinion and facts about this stuff, I have been unable to find an MSDS on it and the advertisement VooDoo has is vague to say the least.

Have you used it?

Just looking for some answers too any questions I can think of.

PS.
This is the most I found on it:

CPXtra General Description
CPXtra: For those who want a traditional look such as in classic Bamboo builds: Due to the durability of CPXtra it can also be used as a guide finish. 3 to 4 coats will give your thread wraps ample protection, but you may apply as many as you prefer to achieve your desired look. Follow the same application instructions as per the color preserver. If you can't recoat in the 5-10 min window allow 24 hrs between coats. When used to refinish rod blanks and as a finish for wood: To Use For Blank Refinishing: Simply pour a liberal amount on to a sponge or lint free cloth. Immediately swipe the rod blank in one quick motion. If additional coats are required let the previous cure for 24hrs. Lightly scuff with a scotchbrite pad in between coats. If you are top coating a custom painted blank do a test to assure that the base coat is compatible and shows no signs of bubbling or lifting. CPXtra is excellent for finishing Bamboo blanks. Tip: When using a sponge poke a small hole in the middle of the sponge. Saturate the area surrounding the hole with CPxtra and pull your rod blank through the hole. To Finish Your Wooden Reelseats/ Grips CPxtra is also excellent to finish wooden reel seat blanks or grips. Saturate a lint free cloth and wipe in one direction, wiping only one to two times. After waiting 24 to 48 hours for full cure, your finished product can be polished with micromesh or a similar product for a "mirror" finish. Note: If you are purchasing CPXtra for its CP capabilities alone, I would like to ask that you please reassess. While we have had great results using it in many cases for a CP alone, our product is first and foremost a urethane rod finish. We have discovered that in many cases it not only works very well as a CP, but actually enhances thread color, leaving behind a slightly darkened but brilliant color. With all the variables in thread and blank color we cannot guarantee these results in every case. I have seen the best results on bamboo and light colored rods and thread with a mix of metallic. So please keep that in mind before purchasing as only a CP. And please NEVER use as a CP unless you have thoroughly tested the desired thread on a piece of scrap blank with the same darkness.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2023 01:34PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: October 08, 2023 01:41PM

I tried some CPXtra a number of years ago, and ,as I recollect, it was very similar to PermaGloss. I used it to coat several rod blanks and it gave a very nice smooth finish that looked good and held up well. It is hot and has an organic smell to it like Permagloss, and cures very quickly. I assumed it was a humidity cured polyurethane finish like PermaGloss, but don’t know for sure. However, Casey at VooDoo Rods should know what kind of finish it is. I stayed with PermaGloss because I was used to using it and it always gave great results, but CPXtra was also quite good.
Norm

Date: October 08, 2023 02:23PM

Hello Norm.

Thanks for the info

I did find the msds for permagloss:

[bwdist.com]

If I had the msds for CPXtra It would tell us the makeup of the stuff.

Thanks Again.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 08, 2023 04:55PM

From the CPXtra instruction sheet: "humidity will be a factor regarding cure time. The times we have recommended between applications can vary depending on your geographical location. For those living in drier climates you may have to increase the recommended waiting time between coats." So indeed moisture curing, and it will go off in the bottle over time like Permagloss, only more slowly. "Not to be used over any type of decal." So it's hot, just not as hot.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster