I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salvaging a glued up handle and reel seat
Posted by: jon tobey (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: August 19, 2023 09:29PM

So, I'm in a strange bind. I glued up my handle and reel seat, but then discovered my blank had a broken ferrule. So I want to salvage the handle and reel seat to put it on another blank.
Is there a chemical which will dissolve the Rod Bond or am I drilling this out? Or does the hive mind have another suggestion?

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salvaging a glued up handle and reel seat
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2023 10:00PM

Which part of the ferrule is broken, the tip section or butt section? If the tip section, you may be able to get a new tip or a new blank from the manufacturer’s warranty. At the very worst, you may have to buy a new blank, and then use tip section from it. If it’s the butt section part of ferrule is broken, then you have to think about removing the reel seat and grip. If the reel seat and grip were installed using foam arbors you may be able to remove them using a cork borer. If foam arbors were not used it becomes more difficult to remove the grip, but still possible.
Norm

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: August 19, 2023 10:45PM

You don't need to use any chemicals. You can use heat (cautiously) to loosen up the glue. Some folks simply hold the rod handle a couple of inches over boiling water with good results. I experimented with an old broken rod by cutting it down and putting the handle area in the oven on 300 (IIRC) for a few minutes and the grip ad reel seat came off very easy. I've since used the reel seat on another project with no ill effects whatsoever.

Date: August 19, 2023 11:44PM

It's the butt section, and it's on a 10' blank, which I don't even know how I got. So it's coming off.

Date: August 19, 2023 11:44PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sf-cable.astound.net)
Date: August 20, 2023 10:58AM

On a 10' rod, you may be able to get the butt cap off, cut the rod at the top of the foregrip and fit a new blank inside.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 20, 2023 01:49PM

Grant Darby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a 10' rod, you may be able to get the butt cap
> off, cut the rod at the top of the foregrip and
> fit a new blank inside.

I would definitely try this ^

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 20, 2023 09:14PM

Jon,
Save your self a lot of frustration.

Take 10 minutes and cut the grip and reel seat off your blank.
The, use a new grip and reel seat and use arbors in the reel seat, all sized that are the same size as the butt of the rod, unless you want to cut off the one or two guides and are on the butt section and then you can use conventional techniques to place your rear grip and reel seat to the rod blank.

Or - leave everything as it is, anc cut off the broken parts of the ferrule and simply make a splice at that point and make the rod a single piece rod. Of course you have to have the ability store and transport a one piece 10 foot rod.

A third choice is to simply chop off the grip and reel seat and fore grip if you have one about 4 inches above the parts that you want to salvage.

Then, just use a splicing technique to attach the current butt grip, reel seat, fore grip and the short section of blank to the new rod blank.
Chop off a corresponding section of the new blank to maintain rod length and you will be set.

That way you don't have to disturb the butt cap, rear grip, reel seat and fore grip if there is one on the current rod.

I would simply use in inner sleeve and an outer sleeve to accommodate the splice and you will be good to go.

The splicing of the rear grip, reel seat, and fore grip and short section of the current rod blank is only about a 15 minute job.

===
Note:
I did this exact thing for a new rod that I had built. Then, after building the rod and delivering it, the customer wanted a change made in the shape of the grips on the rod. I used my full length rod lathe but made a mistake in the way that I had mounted the rod on the rod lathe and as the rod was spun up to full speed, it suddenly went into destructive oscillation and exploded. But, I cut off the butt section of the rod including the grip, reel seat, fore grip and a short section for splicing and spliced it onto a new rod blank and the customer still has that same rod today that has caught many many fish for him over the years.

Note, In building many many rods using the full length rod lathe for grip work, this was the only rod blank that I ever damaged as a result of using a rod on the full length rod lathe.

---
Personally, I tried to reuse a reel seat and or grip one time, that was a miserable failure and as a result I have never ever tried to reuse these components again by removing them from their current rod. For myself, the few $$ required for a new grip and reel seat - relative to the overall value of the rod, that I would never ever attempt to reuse any grip or reel seat a 2nd time.

Take care

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2023 09:17PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster