I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL rods for kids, guide choices
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 07:13PM

Looking at building a few 5’ UL for the next gen. My question is how low can you go on guides as they are going back and forth from spinning and spin casting at this age. And trying to get guide height as low as possible to minimize damage from tornados.
Panfish and trout.
How much distance is lost going from a 16h to something like a 12 or even a 12 casting guide to runners.

Not trying to be controversial like cutting triggers off casting rods ;)

Tanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL rods for kids, guide choices
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 07:49PM

You can use an underspin and get the same results without having to worry about guide selection between the two, that said I have use a 12 match height guide as a first guide with no issues on light line rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 08, 2023 09:20PM

Tim,
I am a bit puzzled about your statement about using a different guide height to prevent damage from tornadoes???

Having said that, one should be concerned about being out on a big body of water when weather is threatening and the chance for lightning is immanent.

This is a sort story of an event that happened to our fishing party in my boat one day many years ago.
Several friends and myself were out in a big lake in north central MN. As the morning progressed, the skies began to look more and more threatening. I cautioned my friends, that if the time came, we would be leaving the area immediately - with no questions asked.

But the fishing was good, so we kept fishing. I did notice, that the hair on my arms began to stand on end. Then, I made one more cast. However, the line didn't come down to the water. Yes, the jig was cast and it hit the water and sunk as it was supposed to do. However, the rest of the line remained in the air. So, I thought -- "I wonder?" - I began to feed line off my line spool and as I pulled line off the reel, the line left the end of the rod and simply went higher and higher into the air. I told my friends that I think it was just about time to go. Suddenly, there was a crack of lighting and the boom of thunder was almost at the same time, so the lighting was uncomfortably close. When the lighting went off, the atmosphere became discharged and all of the fishing line fell into the water. I yelled to the folks to reel in their lines, get the rods all flat on the floor and for everyone to sit down on the floor to be as low as possible. I started, the engine, firewalled the throttle and headed off the lake. As we roared by other boats who were still fishing, some of whom had women with long hair - I noticed that everyone without a hat had all of their hair standing straight out from their head. Fortunately, we cleared the lake with no further incident, but we waited for the weather to clear before going back on the water.

So, yes - do be aware and cautious of lighting.
I don't know that guides have anything to do with tornadoes, but in any event, stay well clear of tornadoes - because they can kill equally well.

Best wishes.

Date: June 09, 2023 07:21AM

Sorry Roger, was making a joke about the damage a youngster can cause. Should have said a 4 year old tornado;)

Agree on weather, many moons ago, we beached the boat due to a huge thunderstorm that came in. Way to rough to attempt the launch. As we hit the beach towards the tree line, a bolt hit, knocking us off our feet. My ears rang for a year.

Thanks Spencer,I had never heard of an underspin. Learned something new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2023 07:23AM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 09, 2023 09:53AM

Tim, I taught my oldest kid at three years old how to use a spinning rod and it took about 10 minutes for him to cast good enough for me to let them do it by himself. You may want to try that instead of switching them on reels.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 03:35PM

I built an ultra lite 5 1/2' spinning rod with a #10 as the first guide. Works just fine.

Date: June 11, 2023 05:55PM

Thanks guys.
picked up an extra 12 and a 10 from voodoo and will do some test casting.

On a side note, while playing with the lengths, I took an NFC APFG 710-1 and cut a whopping 2’ off it. My wife came through and promptly claimed it for trout. Back to the drawing board we go. :)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 11:15PM

Tim,
2 FEET!?!?!? You are a brave, at least bold, man!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster