I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First silk try
Posted by: Robert Parbus (---)
Date: April 22, 2023 04:11PM

So I tried silk first time and I'm hoping the white blends in better as epoxy cures. I actually wore gloves tonight thinking I need to do everything I can to keep the thread clean. But I'm thinking I may have introduced some dirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2023 04:21PM by Robert Parbus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First silk try
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: April 22, 2023 04:49PM

What are you going for? Clear wraps? If so, clear wraps on a white blank is very difficult. Did you use white color or natural color silk? What finish did you use? If you are going for clear wraps how and how much did you thin the finish?

If you are going for white wraps you need to use a color preserver such as Al's Color Rite before applying finish.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2023 07:57PM

The epoxy finish will have a yellowish cast to it, and will yellow more as it ages. As Donald mentioned, it is very difficult to get a colorless finish on a white blank. I have no idea how Permagloss would work with silk. Permagloss is crystal clear and will never yellow, but it would require multiple coats.
Norm

Date: April 22, 2023 08:20PM

Clean hands are a must but gloves are really not needed. Just wash your hands well and repeat every half hour or so and it will be fine.

If you are using water to help the first two or three turns of silk "grip" the smooth painted blank be sure to use distilled water which will dry leaving no residue or stain.

Date: April 23, 2023 07:45AM

A final thought for you. Next time try a very light pastel silk - maybe light yellow or green - finished without color preserver ought to make attractive translucent wraps on a white blank.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 23, 2023 11:28AM

Looks OK to me. As discussed above, it's tough on a white blank, but I think you got the contrast you wanted. It will yellow a bit more, but then your blank will get a bit nicked up as well. No one will notice but you. The casual looker will think your black guides are magically attached to the blank.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2023 03:16AM

Here are some tips based on my experiences with silk and nylon when I was looking to get the thread wraps to disappear or as some call the “ghost wraps”:
Thread tension, you need to set your wrapping tension slightly less than what you would think normal tension is, you know you have it right if you can move a guide around a tad bit easier. This will help with two things, wrap finish penetrating the thread evenly and packing the thread tightly so it is evenly packed around the blank.

Experiment with several shades of color. Now, I have never attempted the ghost wraps with a solid color white blank, but on the translucent “clear” or what some refer to as a “white” fiberglass blank I have had the best look with Clover White Silk. That color and brand went totally clear against the blank. It all reverts to the base color of the blank. I’m not sure how that would work on a solid color white blank like you have. My gut says if the shade of white Silk is lighter than the blank it should work, but you need to buy several brands of Silk in white and do some test wraps. I’ve also used Gudebrod and Fishhawk white Nylon on these same translucent white fiberglass blanks, that will go almost “clear”. It’s a different look than silk, sort of a slight white to white contrast. This actually might be your best option since that blank you have is solid color and white. It goes back to that base color of your blank, that base color of your blank is so white that it may be really tough to get a ghost wrap in the first place. When blanks have had some color to them other than translucent clear white, I’ve had to use Natural color Silk, that shade has a slight “tan” to it. On blanks that would be referred to as “yellow glass” it went totally ghost, thread totally disappeared. But when I experimented with Natural Silk on a white translucent blank, it sort of gave a slightly more pronounced darker look, sort of like what you have, but more contrast. Take away, got to Experiment with several brands.

Wrap epoxy, I don’t thin my 2 part epoxy thread finishes ever, no need to. Even a high viscosity finish will penetrate if your thread tension is correct. Gen 4 has a very “clear” look to it compared to other brands I have used. I think that also makes a difference, especially on very light colored blanks, white translucent for sure. Now Gen 4 is new, so I have no idea what the long term results are going to be. Will it “yellow “ over time? We’ll see.
Spar varnish will not work in this case, that will only work on darker blanks, works awesome on Bamboo. I’ve never used Permagloss, so I cannot offer an opinion there.

Good luck with that solid color white blank, you might be between a rock and a hard place with getting those “perfect” ghost wraps due to that solid color. Your best option may be to try White Nylon without color preserver and have a white to white slight contrast. You’ll still be able to see the guide feet, just a bit less visible, but I would suspect that you may not see those imperfection variations you have with the Silk due to the base color of your blank.

Hope this helps you out.

Posted by: Robert Parbus (---)
Date: May 12, 2023 09:33PM

Thanks everyone. Sorry so late getting back to the party. Did one in black tonight.
May have to lighten tension even more. Not bad but a few spots VooDoo epoxy didn't seem to soak through completely.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2023 09:51PM

PermaGloss works well with silk and in fact was designed for silk (and bamboo rod blanks). But it'll never be quite as smooth as epoxy. Looks more like varnish but will outlast varnish by decades.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster