I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow excel 9ft 5wt comparable blank
Posted by: Jeff Melrose (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2023 10:29PM

I broke my 9ft 5wt rainshadow excel a number of years ago and have not been thoroughly pleased with the replacements I’ve used since. Can anyone recommend a similar blank? Are any of the newer rainshadow blanks similar? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow excel 9ft 5wt comparable blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 24, 2023 01:20AM

Call Batson Ent. and ask, they answer the phone and answer questions. Phone number to the left.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 09:21PM

I feel your pain. Assuming this is one of the older RXF Excel blanks I think you will find it hard to get a 5 weight that matches.

Let me put it this way. I bought a couple from Utmost on closeout and planned to use it for the exotic pan fish down here. Built it up and couldn't cast it well so went for some freebie casting lessons. Instructor cast the rod a few times, laughed, and said, "this isn't a fresh water 5 weight pan fish rod, this is a serious 5 weight bonefish rod". He suggested I get a particular 6 weight line which was actually a 6 1/2 weight line. It is way more blank than your average cheap 7 weight.

Assuming we are talking the same blank it is indeed a great one. If I was looking to replace it I'd be looking at a good six weight. Lucky for me I have a spare. If you REALLY want it I might be inclined to sell it. But like you I absolutely love it so I'm not sure I be willing to trade/sell for what would be considered "reasonable".

Funny I have the same blanks in twelve weight and nine weight. The 12 weight is sweet (and slower in action) and the 9 weight (IMHO) should be built as a light surf rod as it is brutally fast.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 10:18PM

Wow, that's going back a lot of years to Excel. I wonder how the Unity blanks compare?

Date: April 28, 2023 01:06AM

Excels were on the RX8 carbon. I have a 12 wt. Just like Russel described. Had two, traded Mark Crouse for one of his fine MSC float rod blanks.

Posted by: Jeff Melrose (---)
Date: April 28, 2023 08:02AM

Russ
Thanks for the offer. I’m not 100% sure but think it is NOT that one. I used 5 wt line on it and it was a missile.
That being said, it was a rod for big water so maybe having a lot of line out loaded it more like a 6wt. It had a tremendous amount of backbone compared to a very forgiving tip that helped to preserve fine dry fly tippets. All that being said, I will not ask you to part with it but I appreciate the response and the offer.
Jeff

Date: April 28, 2023 05:22PM

Jeff, I think it is the same blank. Consider that I was looking to fish fresh water from the shore (short casts) and don't know how to fly cast. If a guy could cast into his backing I'm sure it would do fine with a 5 weight line. Like you say, good backbone with a reasonably soft tip.

I liked mine enough that I tried hard to find out who made it. I bought it as a closeout so I wasn't given a brand name. But it had RXF+ scribe on the butt end so that was all the clue I needed. I believe they were made by Cascade Composites.

I'm curious, what type of fish do you use it for?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 28, 2023 07:40PM

Russ,
I do most of my freshwater fishing for trout with dry flies on the upper Delaware river in NY/PA. I just reread your post. I was in a rush to get out the door to work this morning and missed the part where you said you bought a couple blanks. Does that mean you have a blank remaining that you did not build? How much would you want for it ? I guess I’d be willing to take the chance for the right $. Also just looked at the old rod. It’s a 3 piece.
Jeff

Date: May 02, 2023 10:38PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff, I think it is the same blank. Consider that
> I was looking to fish fresh water from the shore
> (short casts) and don't know how to fly cast. If
> a guy could cast into his backing I'm sure it
> would do fine with a 5 weight line. Like you say,
> good backbone with a reasonably soft tip.
>
> I liked mine enough that I tried hard to find out
> who made it. I bought it as a closeout so I
> wasn't given a brand name. But it had RXF+ scribe
> on the butt end so that was all the clue I needed.
> I believe they were made by Cascade Composites.
>
> I'm curious, what type of fish do you use it for?
See above

Date: May 03, 2023 01:24AM

I seem to think a review or two are out there, I seem to remember them listed as Xcel maybe though.

Date: May 03, 2023 06:42PM

Jeff, I dug out the blank. I see I have already glued a fighting butt (cork with EVA end, about 1 1/2" total length), a black anodized UL3 up-locking reel seat, and a cork full wells grip on it. It has been awhile but I think the fighting butt was Forecast and the reel seat Pac Bay with Bubinga or Walnut insert. Good chance I have a set of guides for it. I think they are Alps with a double foot ceramic stripper size 10 or 12 and single foot wire guides the rest of the way. You might wish to add a winding check but otherwise you would have everything you need.

OR, maybe the fact that it has those parts already glued on are a deal breaker? Also it is a 2 piece. I do have the same series in a 3 piece 6 weight though.

Too bad you aren't local. It would be a shame to waste money on shipping only to discover it isn't the blank you are looking for. As mentioned I'm not a fly rod fisherman but I do find it fun and productive for certain situations. That and I was in a strange accident where I got run over by a drunk driver when I was mowing my yard (don't ask me I didn't see it happen). Totally destroyed my shoulder/leg. So it seems you would benefit more from this blank than I would. In short it means more to me to have it go to a cherished home than the money (although getting injured and forced into early retirement is financially devastating so I'm not going to turn down it).

You should be able to click on my name and send me an email. Do so and I see if I can locate the guides and identify the parts I have and get back to you. If you include a cell phone number I could send pictures if you desire. In many ways I'd prefer a trade. Often those can be an ideal win/win for both sides.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster