I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Cost Variation
Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 03:27AM

So, why is there such a huge variation in blank prices?
As far as I have gathered, blanks are all made the same way: material is cut in a particular shape, tacked on a mandrel, wrapped tightly about the mandrel, and "baked" to activate and set the glue in the material. Also taking place is wrapping the blank in thin plastic material, removing the plastic wrap and sanding the blank smooth (in most cases). Other manufacturing steps take place but that seems to be the big stuff. Some cost variation is going to be the amount of material used, number of ferrules, and the particular material used.
So if they are all made pretty much the same way why is there such a huge variation in prices? A quick look at a couple anonymous catalogs shows prices from under $100 to well over $400. Is this huge spread justified by the differences mentioned or are there other factors I haven't thought of?
Please note that I am not trying to start a war, I am truly curious and possibly the answer will help custom builders explain to their customers why they recommend certain blanks.

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Cost Variation
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2022 05:12AM

Labor cost in most cases. Do a bit more research on where the blanks are rolled compared to the labor wages.

On a smaller scale, some of the smaller companies that roll blanks may not be able to buy materials in high volume quantities, resulting in not getting a bigger discount that bigger outfits get. The Fiberglass or Carbon Prepeg itself has different prices, E Glass is really cheap compared to Unidirectional S2 Glass, same goes with Carbon Fiber, low Modulus Carbon costs less than the High Modulus material. Another issue, the materials are shipped “frozen”. That can add a significant cost when a smaller outfit is buying it and having to have it shipped, especially if it is across the country.

Same with outfits that can mass produce blanks, those that have been around for decades (and survived). They are getting smacked with higher material and operational costs these days, but they have had the infrastructure in place, so they can still remain somewhat competitive and keep the end cost reasonable.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2022 08:59AM

In addition to the excellent points that Bill makes, you have to consider quality control, cull rate, expertise of any particular blank designers employed by a particular blank maker, etc. There is more to blank cost than simply the process.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 09:06AM

All of the above certainly seem to contribute to that cost difference, but I would advise you to consider the law of diminishing returns. There is certainly some noticeable quality differences between a $50 blank and a $250 blank, but between a $250 blank and a $400 blank the differences will be significantly less discernible to most of our senses if at all in some cases. In most cases anyway, until there is data to show a difference we might not ever notice it.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 14, 2022 09:49AM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..but between
> a $250 blank and a $400 blank the differences will
> be significantly less discernible to most of our
> senses if at all in some cases.

I recently was changing out a grip on a rod made by another local builder.
This was one of those "from the bottom of the rod repairs".
I grabbed the knob on the split grip and was just going to twist it off...when I did the blank split.
Usually the butt end of the rod is pretty beefy...but I think it was just cheaply made blank.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 12:36PM

Oh boy, was it a more expensive blank than you'd expect that to happen on?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 14, 2022 05:38PM

OK, so there is a big difference in price. Is there a big difference in performance? That's the obvious next question. Do you get what you pay for?

There is a different answer for everyone depending on their expectations and budgets, but if you want to have some objective data on whether the more expensive blanks offer any significant advantages and make sense for you, then take a look at TNF.

The True Natural Frequency (TNF) of blanks and rods can now be measured with the devices that most of us already own. TNF is a measure of sensitivity in the opinion of many rod experts, and is a direct measure of recovery speed of a blank/rod. From my data, and that of a few other builders who have been using it, there is a significant difference between the TNF values of different blanks. Whether the difference justifies the price is up to you to decide.

But if you want data instead of advertising claims, check the TNF's of your blanks, then do it again as you build them and see how it changes as you add guides. SS vs titanium? You can make your decisions based on objective data.

My email is open. Just ask.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster