I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Recommendations - Chatterbait, 5-7" swimbaits, dropshot
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 13, 2022 10:19PM

Hello all - first post. Got my son into fishing about 10 years ago and now he is a freshman in college on a college bass fishing team. He took my boat and most of my rods to chase his fishing dream so I decided I would start building my own rods for my own use and also to start replacing the hodge-podge of factory rods he and I have collected over the last 10 years. I'm working on my first build on a MHX MB873 blank to get the hang of things and I plan to use that rod for multi-purpose bass fishing. Hope to continue to hone my skills with some additional builds for bass, walleye and/or panfish.

Anyhow, after completing the MHX build looking to build some other new bass fishing rods for my son. Have been looking at the NFC blanks in the X-ray line since they are on sale and have heard/read good things but not necessarily set on any specific blank manufacturer. Here are the rods I'd like to build:

1. A chatterbait casting rod in the ~7'-2" range. Mostly throwing ~1/2 oz chatter baits but also possibly some traps in the 1/2 to 3/4 oz range and maybe a few things a bit heavier. Will be throwing them on flourocarbon line somewhere around 15#. He wants enough bend to allow the fish to grab it and also to help keep the hook pinned while also having enough power to rip it thru grass. Was looking at the NFC MB 765 NEO for this purpose and was thinking of cutting it at butt end to length. Thoughts on this blank or any others NFC or otherwise that you think would fit the bill?

2. A swimbait casting rod ~ 7'-6 to 8' length range to fish plastic swimbaits in the 5"-7" (he's saying anywhere from 5//8 oz to 2 oz) range as primary use. Throwing fluorocarbon in the 17-20# range. Looking at the NFC MB 7109-1 (or 7108-1) but definitely open to other options.

3. A dropshot (shakey head, neko, ned) spinning rod ~ 7'-0" to 7-3". Will be using either a 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel with 10-12# braid and a fluorocarbon leader either 6-8#. Will be using on Great Lakes and some inland lakes for these finesse type techniques. Looking at the NFC MB 733-1

I am still working on wrapping my brain around CCS and how to objectively compare different blanks for different applications. Again any feedback or experiences you all have with building for the above techniques and blank recommendations (any brand) is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2022 10:37PM by Kevin Fiant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Recommendations - Chatterbait, 5-7" swimbaits, dropshot
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 08:34AM

Hey Kevin, welcome to the site and the world of building. I just started building myself, but with no shortage of research, reading, youtubing, and fishing to come along with me. Funny you and I were already looking at a number of the same rods.

Chatterbait - I was inches away from getting the NEO myself for chatterbait/small swimbaits, but I realized I had other rod needs that had to come first. I can say that with everything I've read about that rod its great for what it does with a strong back bone but a forgiving tip. It is sensitive, but not quite as sensitive as other X-ray blanks due to the Zentron glass that's in the blank - but that is exactly what gives it its performance attributes (backbone with a forgiving bend) and what would appear to make it a solid choice for those applications. There are a number of pros and us regular guys who throw chatterbaits on glass rods, so a hybrid rod seems like a balanced choice to me.

Swimbait - I haven't thrown them a ton, but again I put ridiculous and often unnecessary amounts of research into fishing and everything that comes along with it. The consensus seems to be to find a rod that has a range greater than what you wil be throwing so as not to max out the rods lure range limit. Some people say the rod will perform best right in the middle of the range or the average between the lower limit and upper limit which often overlaps, but not always. Point being, throwing 2 oz on a rod rated for 2 oz is fine, but if he will be doing that often it would likely be more comfortable and perform better with a rod rated up to somewhere between 3-4 oz. This will keep the rod loading proper for casting and for working the lure it will keep it unloaded enough to give the right action and fish fighting ability.

But of course the rods action will also play a big role in that. I just ordered that rod (X-ray MB 7109) for some heavy jigs and worms between 3/4-1 1/2 oz. Might try some single hook swimbaits up to about 1 1/2 oz. to see how it feels. I can't tell if I've been tricked by the charts on the NFC page, but figured it was worth a shot since that's a gap in my rod collection.

I'll also add that I ordered the 808 NEO to build a swimbait rod for my buddy, that looks like it has some amazing characteristics that will make it perfect for throwing 1-2 oz swimbaits and maybe a big fat rat or plopper.

Drop shot - I just ordered the X-ray DS 721 for this - it looks like it has a perfecr profile for DS and Ned rigs. The MB 733 you were looking at seems to have a relatively firmer tip compared to the DS. It very much depends on how you like to DS - I wanted something with more play in the tip so that I don't yank hooks out of mouths while playing fish, but enough back bone to guide them away from docks/rocks/weeds. Some people like a 7'6-7'8 rod for DS, and I think I might have, but this profile seemed like a Goldilocks DS rod, on paper at least. Some people will use a 6'10 medium X-fast for DS, but I think that leaves to little play in the tip for my liking. Also consider using 15# braid, maybe you haven't had an issue with the 10/12 but I found that bumping up to 15 from 10 reduced some of the wind knot issues and sacrificed absolutely nothing for it.

I will say not to overlook, although it can become overwhelming with the options, the other offerings from NFC as well. There are some great looking specs and pics of HM an IM rods with different bend and strength characteristics that might play well for a chatterbait or swimbait rod. Even for a DS rod, but I definitely looked and I'm excited about what I picked.

Hope that helps man, good luck with all your builds, I think you've stumbled upon a very welcoming and supportive community that you'll feel like you missed not starting to build sooner haha.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: December 14, 2022 09:47AM

I have the DS 761. I like it for what I consider normal drop shot fishing. 1/4 or less sinkers, 30' or less. It protects light line well. Good with nose hooked dropshots. It is also good on the lighter end of Ned rig fishing (say 1/20 and above). I am guessing for Great Lakes style deepwater smallmouth dropshoting, the DS 761 may be a little to light. On my bucket list to figure out some day. This rod really seems to keep fish pinned with small hooks and protect light line well.

The SJ732 and (have the blank but yet to build) SJ703 would be good for more typical ned right weights and a bit for versatile as a finesse rod. Probably better of you are doing a bit heavier on the drop shot fishing with TX rigged or heavier dropshot weights.

I like the 765 Neo. For me, I think it will be a great moving bait rod for anything like smaller swimbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, larger crankbaits, etc. I tend to be more finesse oriented, but when I use this rod I have been happy with it. I am building a couple of NFC delta hybrids 7115 and 7106 that are cut down to 7-4 for moving bait rods as well. These also seem like a good option. I probably could have just built another NEO765 and trimmed it down too, but I wanted to try these blanks out. Unscientifically speaking, the 7115 and Neo seem to have a similar tip but the 7106 and NEO more similar backbone. The tip on the 7106 is the stiffest of the three. This is just based on pressing blanks against the ceiling and comparing how that feels to me. So, take it with a few grains of salt. Maybe for ripping through weeds, the 6 power delta hybrid? Again, just flexing in the shop. No on the water experience with the Delta Hybrids.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 12:33PM

@DEAN the NFC site shows and describes the 808 NEO with 3 distinct tapers/bend profiles - how is the taper/bend profile(s) with the 765 NEO?

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 14, 2022 03:18PM

Kevin,

Bass, Walleye, Panfish....you are speaking my language for here in Kansas!

First, CCS is amazing! However, CCS is more of a TOOL for COMPARING one rod to another rod; rather than 'picking a particular rod/blank' for a particular purpose. Not a picking tool. A comparative tool. The more you know what IP, ERN, and AA mean, and how those numbers relate to what you want in a rod, the more service it will be to you. Confusing right now for sure! Keep reading and learning. It will make more and more sense (Cents) as you go.

My tendency is to pick multi-purpose-technique blanks because I fish for all the fish you do.. All these recommendations I have built and fished.

1.) Your specs for Rod #1 seem to me to deserve more than one rod (I think two). Some techniques are more presentation dependent (from continuous reeling to bottom hopping), but here are my choices if I were fishing your specs:
A,) Chatterbait/Spinnerbait/Traps: NFC APFG 745: 7'4", high-tech glass, Mod Fast action under load, Moderate Power, #8-15 line, 1/8 to 5/8 oz. lure. Very light weight for a glass rod with all the benefits of glass: Loads with a soft bend through tip and mid section, very fast tip to cast lighter lures, lots of power in the bottom third. The CCS stats: IP = 575; AA = 79/80. This blank is underrated for power, IMO, if you throw a bit heavier lure or get into a bigger fish. Very versatile blank that extends through some topwater apps.
and/or
B.) NFC SJ736 X-Ray: Another blank you will never regret building! IP = 668-725 (depending on who is measuring); AA = 71. Versatility extends way out there as above blank.

2.) NFC SB806: 8-foot, Psi graphite, Moderate action, Heavy power, #10-20 line, 1/2 - 3 oz. lure. I throw S-Waver 168's and 6-inch Mag Draft Swimbaits on this rig. Handles them both well though seems a bit over-powered for these baits. Could handle larger baits than the ones I listed, IMO, but throws these well. Don't hold your breath to catch your Big Bass Dream fish throwing big baits.

3.) I have the 733 and find it an excellent Medium Light rod. Would work just fine as a Shot-Rod! Drop shot is one of those areas where people get somewhat picky and have lots of opinions; not a bad thing, just a specific thing. I do a lot of vertical winter crappie fishing and find my Medium to Medium Light St. Croix rods in the 6'3'' to 7 foot range with an XF tip excellent for this. (See Rod Geeks for St. Croix options). Extending a shorter rod is an option, too.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 14, 2022 06:44PM

I gotta go with Leslie when he thinks two rods for your first description goes. And it's because you mention ripping baits free from weeds. At least the way I rip baits from weeds is by popping it free, meaning a quick snap of the rod. For that I think fast action. or a think a moderate fast action blank with more power than you'd probably like for open water lip less baits.

as far as the swimbait blank you mentioned considering. I have two rods built on MB 709 blanks that I use primarily for flipping and pitching, but I also throw hollow bodied paddle tails with them. Not in the weight range mentioned, 5" and 1/2 oz is the biggest I go, but it's an awesome rod for swimbaits of that size. As far as the 7109 you mention goes, I have to wonder how much of a difference that 10" length difference between it, and the 709 I've built on. If it has the same power curve as the 709, the 7109 will be great for what you're looking for. If it's softer, as I suspect the extra length will make it feel, then it may seem a little weak on a hook set. A move more line, but with less power kind of thing. Something to consider for sure.

I will say I use 20# Tatsu for flipping and pitching and that's what I throw the swimbaits with on my MB 709 as well, and I can cast way farther than I need to. So may consider the 709. I would even say the 709 would have a chance at being good for your first search, but while it definitely has the power to rip a bait from weeds, I don't think it would be very good at popping them free, at distance.And while the SJ 736 X ray blank that Leslie mentions is an awesome blank (I built 2 rods on that blank) I don't think it would be a good choice for the swimbaits you are talking about. IMO it would be way over powered by 2 oz of weight. I have used by SJ 736 rods for swimbaits, but only a 5" Shadalicious on a 3/8 oz Owner Beast hook. For me, that's about as big as I'd go. It is an awesome awesome blank though. And as long as you aren't fishing heavy cover, does a lot of things extremely well.

Drop shot rod for the Great Lakes is different than for inland lakes. At least I think so. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of dragging a drop shot. IMO if fishing vertical most often, then traditional drop shot extra fast action blank. If you are going to be dragging it, then fast action. Long casts deep water, bigger average fish than on inland lakes, give me power. I'm wanting something with at least an IP of 460 grams, and better if its closer to 560. If its the latter and you're dragging it most often I would suggest a blank I have experience with. A Rainshadow RX 10 Eternity ETEC72M.

Batson has its' CCS numbers at IP 597 grams (my blank tested at 567 grams) with an AA of 75. I got about the same AA when I tested the blank I built on. It's listed as a casting blank but I built it as a spinning rod. It may the most sensitive rod I own. Tip loads beautifully and it has power enough to fish 1/2 oz weights pretty darned effectively.

Anyhow .....

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: December 14, 2022 09:15PM

Thanks all for the great feedback. Learning quite a bit perusing this forum. Going to get setup to try and do some CCS measurements on some of the factory rods we currently have so I can compare some of these CCS numbers to some of the rods I like and don't like and also try and hone in on the rods my son is looking for.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2022 07:49AM

Kevin, your doing and using CCS measurements for your various rod is IMO the perfect way to use CCS. It allows you to classify rods by purpose of use. It will help you learn a lot about the rods you use for different purposes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster