I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper Guide Placement
Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 16, 2021 06:03PM

I am rebuilding 3, casting, surf rods, using Fuji, LC, Reverse guides. Two of the rods are 11" one is 11'6". I am seeking the best method for determining distance from an installed fully loaded reel, to the first 20mm ring guide. I want to learn where the line should fall inside of the ring. Should it be centered, or touch the inner top outer top of the ring? I will finish the guide train using a static load method.

Many Thanks
Happy Holidays

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 06:10PM by Tom Wood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper Guide Placement
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 06:24PM

These rules were authored by the legendary Don Morton:

From a book on custom rod building

1. The line should run as straight as possible from the reel to the tip of the rod.
2. The line should form as small of an angle as possible with each guide.
3. The line should touch only the top or bottom of the guides in any fishing position.
4. The line should pass through the guides with no line chatter or vibration.
5. The line should not touch or pass the rod in any fishing position, casting or retrieving.
6. The rod should be balanced.
7. The rod should be stable in all fishing positions.
8. The rod should track in all fishing positions without experiencing torque or twisting.

ADDED: these rules apply to most rod builds, except for spiral wraps. Then you gotta fudge the rules some... like line passing the blank, or touching it, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 06:26PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (172.107.20.---)
Date: December 16, 2021 09:23PM

Surf casting rods require some different thought than maybe something like a bass casting rod. Casting is a priority so it is important not to have the butt guide too close to the reel. I do not know what size reels you are using but a size 20 guide on such a rod is a pretty good start. I would prefer the line just barely touch the lower or bottom of the ring. Just very lightly. Remember that after you cast the reel spool diameter will be reduced and the line will be on the bottom of the ring under a bit more pressure. That will bring the butt end of the rod into play the instant you hook a fish at any distance. I am going to toss out a guess that you can set the butt guide anywhere from about 25 to 30 inches from the reel face and achieve this but you will have to move it a bit and see how things go. I would not go past 30 inches. Test casting is your friend. Spend some time doing this and make sure it is where you want it. More info might help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 09:30PM by Mike Ballard.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2021 07:45AM

good stuff Mike!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 17, 2021 08:33AM

Would one use the same guide spacing for both monofilament line and for braided line?

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: December 17, 2021 12:38PM

Here is a very informative thread from not too long ago. I learned more from this thread than any other when it comes to spinning reels and surf rods. There are two different ways to lay out your guides according to what type of line you will be using. Chris Nash goes over this and it is worth reading and re-reading until its understood.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2021 02:21PM

The reel type / size will be very important to that stripper placement along with the choke point. I always let that determine placement and ring size. Don Mortan's rules are spot on. It will not only be the stripper but also the ring size and alignment of the following 3 guides. The spool size determines the stripper ring size then you want to rapidly reduce the ring sizes following to control the wave in the line, it should never touch the blank. You can determine those four guide's progressive spacing before you ever mount them on the blank by taping them to a table starting with the stripper and spacing them to where they make a bullseye when aligned, this will give you a starting point for a straight line to the tip or the choke point determined by the reel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 17, 2021 02:44PM

I would start at 30 inches and go from there. Any time that I am building a rod that is 10 feet or longer I always use the 30 inch distance and normally, I leave it in that position.

For myself, when I set up the guide train - I want the line to be running through the center of the stripper guide - no matter the position of the line, or the position of the reel handle and thus the position of the spool on the reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2021 03:13PM

Fred Zimmermann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a very informative thread from not too
> long ago. I learned more from this thread than any
> other when it comes to spinning reels and surf
> rods. There are two different ways to lay out your
> guides according to what type of line you will be
> using. Chris Nash goes over this and it is worth
> reading and re-reading until its understood.
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> =1

I believe the OP specifically mentioned 3 casting surf rods.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: December 20, 2021 07:21AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fred Zimmermann Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here is a very informative thread from not too
> > long ago. I learned more from this thread than
> any
> > other when it comes to spinning reels and surf
> > rods. There are two different ways to lay out
> your
> > guides according to what type of line you will
> be
> > using. Chris Nash goes over this and it is
> worth
> > reading and re-reading until its understood.
> >
> >
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
>
> > =1
>
>
> I believe the OP specifically mentioned 3 casting
> surf rods.
>
> ..........

Dammit. I believe I was not paying attention to what I was reading!

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 08:40PM

I looked at some Fuji guide recipes and the largest LC they use for casting rods is a 16mm more commonly the 12mm. An 11’ casting rod with all LC added up to be 16 guides plus the tip top! Lol! Hope this helps.

I’m currently about the replace the MN’s on my 10’ surf rod to LC stripper guides but in a spinning rod configuration. For 10’ spinning rods the LC20 (1st stripper) is anywhere from 37” to 43” from the reel but this means nothing for a casting rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2021 08:52PM by Michael Tarr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster