I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top selection
Posted by: James Clark (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 04:49PM

When setting up a micro guide rod, should the tip top match your running guides or be larger? I have read both ways here and just looking for some clarification.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top selection
Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2019 05:09PM

I try and match but if match isn't available no harm in going one size bigger . . going smaller of course makes little sense then you might as well down size the runners too

Date: July 21, 2019 05:14PM

So basically it depends on availability

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 07:36PM

The tip takes the most punishment from the line. My selection of tips are SIC grade or better.

It is not important if the tip matches the guides its durability that counts.

Bottom line it depends on how much one fishes. If one fishes once or twice a month probably any tip will suffice.

I do a lot of fishing and I really work my equipment hard and I never had any issues using SIC grade or better tips.

I try to use the same size tip as the last guide.

John

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2019 07:42PM

it depending on what I an using rod for
lighter rods I match size except when using 1.5 through 2.5 micros then I will go with 3mm top. (Not available in smaller sizes.)

on heavier rods will use 4mm tp 6mm top depending on technique using it for. heavier lines tend to bind when at an angle to top. (pitching,flipping) I'll use a 6mm
and I prefer the stouter tip for duability for throwing things like; ( big crank baits, A-rigs, heavier spinner baits, mega swim baits) 4mm through 6mm

here are a coupe older posts from 8 and 10 years ago that may help

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 21, 2019 11:47PM

Thank you for linking the old posts. That helped a lot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster